Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2004 SL55 AMG
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
[8D]
My 1993 300CE Cabrio was missing the top cover lock trim plate when I bought it. Since there were only 766 of these cars made, I thought it would be hard to find the part. After no email response from 2 online M-B parts houses, who shall remain unnamed, I said what the hell and drove over to the local M-B dealer.

It took a few minutes to track down the part number. The computer showed the part in stock. Even the parts counter guy was surprised. He went back into the bins and fetched it. $8.40, plus tax. Must have been a fluke. I think I'll go buy a lottery ticket now.

Cheers!
Dave

·
Registered
1987 Mercedes 300e
400 Posts
wow, congratulations. if i were you i would enter 3 different lotteries.. your a lucky man! and buy me one too. if it wins, we'll split the winnings!

·
Registered
1992 MERZ 400E
421 Posts
imon_2nd - 4/14/2005 3:48 PM

[8D]
My 1993 300CE Cabrio was missing the top cover lock trim plate when I bought it. Since there were only 766 of these cars made, I thought it would be hard to find the part. After no email response from 2 online M-B parts houses, who shall remain unnamed, I said what the hell and drove over to the local M-B dealer.

It took a few minutes to track down the part number. The computer showed the part in stock. Even the parts counter guy was surprised. He went back into the bins and fetched it. $8.40, plus tax. Must have been a fluke. I think I'll go buy a lottery ticket now.

Cheers!
Dave
766 in the world... damn u lucky just to own one
as far as the part is concerned, i believe its the opposite effect... since there are so few of them cars, the demand on replacement parts would be few also

·
Registered
2004 SL55 AMG
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
[8D]
You're right. The reason that part was in the bin is there's no demand for replacement trim parts unique to the cabrio.

Since the mechanical and many of the body parts are the same as the coupe, I may have more trouble finding those when I need them.

·
Registered
500E, E320, 190E, E55
1,006 Posts
Just curious, was that Autobahn Motors in S.C.??
They are pretty good about keeping stock of hard to find parts as well as old parts. I love browsing around that showroom.

·
Registered
2004 SL55 AMG
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
[8D]
Good call, Redwood. I'd never set foot in Autobahn Motors before, assuming they were the usual sort who couldn't find their own ass with both hands and a flashlight. Surprised the hell out of me, to say the least.

Happy Tax Day,
Dave

1 - 6 of 6 Posts