Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1999 ML 430
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a1999 ML430 with 86,400 miles on it. Looks like the ETC went bad in the tranny and the whole transmission might have to be replaced (to the tune of about $6,000). Feels like the truck is trying to start in 3rd gear when at stop lights. Tac revs but the car just moves real slow at first. I'm thinking about selling instead...any ideas what I could get for it without the 6k tranny repair. Sad to see her go, but I'm having a hard time with a MB tranny going bad at 86k. I really liked this truck (until yesterday that is) :-(

·
Registered
2001 ML430
465 Posts
No matter how good any marquis is, crap breaks.

Let me ask you, in those 86k miles, how many times has the tranny fluid been changed????

I do mine yearly.

·
Registered
1999 ML 430
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Still trying to diagnose the problem. One indy told me a new tranny, 2nd indy said it's the speed sensor? Second indy did a transmission service. Car ran great for a week then the problem re-surfaced. Got to be some sort of sensor or electronic control as there is no shuddering or gear slippage ect. Anyone have any ideas?

·
Registered
99 ML 320 (dearly departed), 03 E 500, 05 FX35 (Sold), 07 Cayenne S (Sold), 06 Cayenne Turbo
616 Posts
You should try the MAF Vacum hose (try to tighten the hose with the screw clamp). I have had this problem before after replacing my MAF.It seems as if the engine is running but the truck is not moving when you hit the gas. Have you been tinkering with the MAF at all - that too could be the issue a bad MAF.

I would rule out a transmission issue as it would be more consistant.

·
Registered
2001 ML430
465 Posts
I agree with the above. If it is a hard part failure (transmission) they do not go intermittently. When they fail, they fail. Sounds like you have an electrical gremlin (ML's NEVER have that though..:p ).

·
Registered
2002 honda civic (sold), 2009 Mercedes ML350
1,344 Posts
first off the ETC is not in the tranny, only vehicles with a 722.9 tranny have the control unit in the tranny (part of the valve body). now if the fluid was changed and the issue didnt return for a week, I will sya the transmission is not the problem. first check to see if there is tranny fluid in the ETC, common as fluid migrates up the harness if the elec. connecter was leaking. now has the car had a short test ran to see if the ETC has any fault codes. now if a speed sensor is bad, all you need is a new conductor plate.

my guess is you either have a faulty ETC or faulty speed sensor.

·
Registered
1999 ML 430
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Streetglower said:
first off the ETC is not in the tranny, only vehicles with a 722.9 tranny have the control unit in the tranny (part of the valve body). now if the fluid was changed and the issue didnt return for a week, I will sya the transmission is not the problem. first check to see if there is tranny fluid in the ETC, common as fluid migrates up the harness if the elec. connecter was leaking. now has the car had a short test ran to see if the ETC has any fault codes. now if a speed sensor is bad, all you need is a new conductor plate.

The conducotr plate is only a couple hundred dollars if memory serves. Is the electric connector to the ETC a plastic plug looking thing that is white in color?

·
Registered
1999 ML 430
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Streetglower said:

Is the elec. connector you're speaking of the AT Plug Adaptor, part number A 203 540 02 53?

·
Registered
2000 ML320
169 Posts
Transmission problem

Change the 'spacer' where the harness from the car
plugs into the transmission, it's a known fault,
a benz shop I know (who owns an ML) says it's a common fault
in all 5-speed autos (W140/210/163)
the o-rings on this item leak, and oil gets into the pins on the connector
computer doesn't know what's going on,
he reccomend I replace mine, they are only about A$17 genuine