Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
ML430
2,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I figure it being 80 outside today I would go ahead and work on the truck, wash it wax it and do my regular check over (breaks, fluids, check undercarriage for wet spots) Well to my amazement i found a wet spot.. On my transmission. It was at a weird place too. I hope this is not a serious problem! I honestly have no idea how this happened, and why it would come from where it is coming from. So Noodles! or anyone let me know what you guys thing (10 - Serious, 1 - not to worry!)..

Attachments

·
Registered
2004 SL500; 2003 E320; 2001 ML430 Sport; 1999 E320 Wagon
404 Posts
Not that I could answer your question or anything.. I thought I would take a look for myself. Seems mine is exactly the opposite of yours. Don't know what this means, except perhaps I have a minor leak from the rear main seal after 60K miles.
Yours does appear to be on the tranny side, and the rear seal side looks good.

·
Registered
Ml 500SE
269 Posts
ttaleric - 4/2/2006 1:15 PM

So I figure it being 80 outside today I would go ahead and work on the truck, wash it wax it and do my regular check over (breaks, fluids, check undercarriage for wet spots) Well to my amazement i found a wet spot.. On my transmission. It was at a weird place too. I hope this is not a serious problem! I honestly have no idea how this happened, and why it would come from where it is coming from. So Noodles! or anyone let me know what you guys thing (10 - Serious, 1 - not to worry!)..[/QUOTE|

The 2000 430 I had would do that. I'd wipe it off and it would take about 10,000 miles to show up again. It's just a slight leak on the front seal of the transmission. Worry 1 to 10?------1. [8D]

·
Premium Member
ML430
2,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well with further investigation I found this that my radiator is leaking.. I think the possible fluid might of flung back onto it.

I figure this because i pulled off those black tabs and took a flashlight and peeked around didn’t notice anything suspicious, I shoved my finger in there and it came out clean. !!! THANKS GEORGE !!!

Now to figure out why the radiator is leaking.

Picture 1 -- The torque converter pictures, showing that it is clean inside

Picture two -- The wet spots from the radiator, taken from the driver side-wheel well... It seems to be leaking from the hose that is on the driver side on the very top.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
ML430
2,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
OZlander - 4/3/2006 6:12 AM

Power steering cooler?
Yup. the hose to that is leaking.. Hopefully the hose is long enough just to snip off the bad part...

·
Premium Member
1999 ML430 and 2003 ML55
2,274 Posts
ttaleric

Had the same drip on my 99 ML430. Took a while to figure out exactly where it was coming from. A very interesting arrangement at that radiator fitting. If your 'fix' doesn't work, take a close look at the nut that actually tightens into the radiator.

A local shop had seen this leak before and warned me that in trying to tighen it, it could possibly break, necessitating replacing the entire radiator. With that said, I said go for it!

He was able to tighten it maybe a 1/4 turn and since then no leaks...bone dry. hope your fix takes care of it, if not, inveatigate this particular fitting.

·
Premium Member
ML430
2,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks springer - Did you happen to note the type of steering wheel fluid he used? Is it any generic brand or does it have to have the mercedes star on it?
springerfever - 4/3/2006 8:09 AM

ttaleric

Had the same drip on my 99 ML430. Took a while to figure out exactly where it was coming from. A very interesting arrangement at that radiator fitting. If your 'fix' doesn't work, take a close look at the nut that actually tightens into the radiator.

A local shop had seen this leak before and warned me that in trying to tighen it, it could possibly break, necessitating replacing the entire radiator. With that said, I said go for it!

He was able to tighten it maybe a 1/4 turn and since then no leaks...bone dry. hope your fix takes care of it, if not, inveatigate this particular fitting.

·
Super Moderator
99 ML430, 00 ML320, 05 E500 4matic Wagon
23,004 Posts
I would stick to the MB stuff. The fluid is a lot cheaper than the damage a mix of fluids can cause to the rack and its seals.
Glad you found the problem. When I first saw this thread my heart sunk, but it looks to be minor, thank god for that.
Rob

·
Registered
MBs
2,656 Posts
Hey, I had a leak on the transmission oil cooler connection to the radiator a few years back. Turned out during service or assembly two copper O-ring seals were stuck both on the same side of the screw fitting. Once installed correctly, a copper seal on each side, the leak stopped. [:D]

For the power steering fluid MBUSA's "Factory approved service products broshure, part number S-0473-05A, edition April 2004, states:

MB Power Steering Fluid MB Part No Q 1460001 approved for W163 M-Class and W463 G-Class or use an approved Dexron III ATF (see page 6).

See we go to page 6. And there is lists these ATFs:

AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION FLUID
(See your MB center regarding application. Do not use in 722.6 or 722.9 transmission!)

Castrol Dexron-III/Mercon ATF F-30341
Castrol Transmax M-22257 / 22096
Chevron ATF Dexron III F-30108 / 30159
Citgo Multi-Purpose ATF D-21571
Exxon Superflo ATF Dexron-III F-30111
Havoline ATF Mercon/Dexron-III F-30321
Pennzoil, ATF D-21380
Pennzoil, ATF F-30110
Quaker State Dexron-III/Mercon F-30161
Sunoco ATF Dexron-III/Mercon F-30176
Texaco ATF Mercon/Dexron-III F-30321
Unocal Multi-Purpose ATF D-22413 / 22431