Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
SLK 55 AMG
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got a call from my salesman saying that he's gotten my SLK55 sitting at the dealer.... Problem is that I am busy all day and cannot pick it up this afternoon.... I wont be able to sleep tonight. HELP!!

·
Registered
350 SLK
1,528 Posts
MKSM3 - 3/26/2005 8:10 AM

Just got a call from my salesman saying that he's gotten my SLK55 sitting at the dealer.... Problem is that I am busy all day and cannot pick it up this afternoon.... I wont be able to sleep tonight. HELP!!
Is it even ready for pickup? Usually when they call it still has to be prepped. If it is ready, where are your priorities? [:0] Not sure what "busy" means but if it is other than attending a funeral or wedding or your son/daughter's ball game, then you need to pick up that car today![:D][8D][:D}

·
Registered
SLK 350
2,327 Posts
MKSM3,

Perhaps some of us could volunteer to sit with it until Monday. I picture a group all sitting on folding chairs around the car holding a vigil.

Mel

·
Registered
2005 SLK350 2011 GLK3504X 2006 ML350(selling when GLK arrives)
1,940 Posts
Duo-Art - 3/26/2005 11:39 AM

MKSM3,

Perhaps some of us could volunteer to sit with it until Monday. I picture a group all sitting on folding chairs around the car holding a vigil.

Mel
Mel...sit with it??? How about starting to break it in for him...[?]

[:D][:D][:D]

·
Registered
SLK 55 AMG
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Duo-Art - 3/26/2005 1:39 PM

MKSM3,

Mel
Duo-Art, Thanks for your offer! but I managed to pick up my car this afternoon!! She is now with me[:D]

She arrived at the dealer around 930am, I poped in to finish all the paper work, had a cross country flight to Madison this afternoon (good day for flying), turned around quickly and picked up my car. When I arrived at the dealer just after 5pm, she was ready to leave with me. She looked GORGEOUS! XOXOXO

55miles on the clock so far. My first impression is the car is well made. It is my first MB and I am very much impressed by its build quality. None of the photos does its justice. It looks much much better and muscular in the fresh. Oh, When I first fired up the engine, my chin dropped down to the floor. It sounded sooooo good[:D]

Three minor complains - 1) The shift stick. There is this plain silver plate at the top of the stick. What is that??? Its soooo cheap. They should have put some nice logo on it, 2) There is no metal face plate on the food rest and 3) the brakes make such noise just before the car comes to a full stop. Sure enough, I got a lot of attention from people at the intersections because of that. I guess that it will go away as the brakes get broken in.

It will be a good day in Chicago tomorrow so I am planning on adding a few hundred miles to the clock. Will take some photos and post them here right away.

My salesman (Ed Franzen at MB of Naperville) did such fantastic job to get me this beast in 5 months (my car is #2 at the dealer). He even pulled it outta VPC within a day (arrived at the port on 3/23and I got it on 3/26).
They have some good package deal for wheels and tires. They promised to get me AMG stying IV 18" wheels (OEM = not through MB but the same quality) and any tires for $2650. They also have an amaging deal for a Teflon coating ($800). Coating on the body and interiors. Life time warranty. In 7 years, they will inspect the coating condition and apply another coat if needed for free. If anything stains anything (e.g., coffee on seat leather) they will replace the part (s) for free. Sounds too good to be true but I am considering it.

That is all tonight. I LOVE THIS CAR. I cannot wait to finish the break in period and enjoy its full potential[:D]

Happy Easter to all, folks

·
Registered
2005 SLK55 AMG - Blk
42 Posts
I see you're an E46 convert. I'm contemplating the move myself. I remember the feeling I had when I took delivery on my M3. You couldn't wipe the smile off my face for weeks. Good luck with the 55er. I'm sure you won't sleep much tonite!

·
Registered
06 M5, 07 RS4, 07 ML63
654 Posts
Finally! Congrats!!! I see you did go with Ed Franzen after all... really nice guy. Glad he got the business I referred after I abandoned my original intention to get my SLK55 from him. Felt bad, it simply came down to who could promise me an SLK55 soonest.

Enjoy it in good health. Perfect timing now that spring has finally arrived with the weather to match. It's supposed to be in the upper 60's on tuesday. Topless weather for sure.

Now about that teflon coating.... I'd skip it if I were you. Lexol or similar cleaners DIY is all you need to do with the interior and as for the exterior, our new SLK's have a very hardy nanotechnology paint job. Periodic washings, several coats of wax a year, clay bar once or twice a year, and a little TLC is more than enough. Save the $800 and get yourself a K40 radar or stealth install of a V1... or use it to have a clearbra applied if your really concerned about finish protection. Teflon coating isn't going to save your car from highway rash and rock chips. Wheels seem like a good deal though... got any pics of them?

btw, what's the specs on your car again? or perhaps I should just wait for the pics.

·
Registered
SLK 350
2,327 Posts
MKSM3,

Congratulations. It's nice to see more SLK's arriving in the Chicago area. You couldn't have picked a better weekend to take delivery with the temp. heading toward 70 Tuesday. I'm taking the day off of work (I'm self employed) you should too. We, SLK owners will have to get together when the warmth settles in a little more.

·
Registered
SLK 55 AMG
3,560 Posts
Congrats!

Hope your 55 will prove to be as trouble free as mine has been so far (3000miles in 4 months).

It's true that the shifter looks a bit funny since it has no logo on it (the 200/350 has an MB star logo on it or the words "Designo", but the AMG has nothing... maybe it's trying to be more 'discreet', lol). You could always buy a Brabus shifter, they look really... strange [;)]

Enjoy!

·
Registered
SLK 55 AMG
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you all for your post!

M3eee - I read your post the other day. The SLK55 is anotehr excellent car. The ride is solid but not harsh at all. I am staying below 3000rpm so cannot tell you its real potential yet. Its steering is kind of too light to my taste and the shift is mushy (compared to the SMGII). Maybe it is because I am not driving hard. Anyways, I highly recommend the SLK55 as your 2nd car!

masmole - Thank you so much for your help and suggestion. I am glad that I brought it from Ed. Such a nice guy. I was originally #3 but he bumped me up to #2 as I had traded in my M3 and they'd had my money in their pocket. Very fair. Hope that the person that originally had #2 spot is not readding this!! I am not goign to have the teflon coating done. You are right, I shall invest my money on something else such as a clear bra. I can protest the paint with Zaino / Finish First. Also, I have a concern about the teflon coating. What if I needed my car painted partially? The new paint would not blend in the old paint that has the teflon on it. My car is almost fully loaded. lighting package, Premium. No Satelite no telephone.

Duo-Art - Believe or not, I am off until Tue!! I cannot believe my luck! Just came back from gym and it was soooo nice to drive my new car with the top down. No airscarf was needed. My front brakes squeak like hell when I stop so it was kind of annoying...

Shinigami - Bonjour, I did not know that the SLK350 has a logo on the shift stick..... Duuno why we do not. Cost reduction:) I wll check out Brabus product. Salut!

Looking back, my wait was not as bad as I'd thought. Its because of this forum. I would like to thank you all for sharing your experience with your car.

Looking forward to meeting SLK owners in Chicago area in the not too distant future.

Go to hit the road[:D] Will be back with photos

·
Registered
SLK 55 AMG
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Here are some photos of my SLK55. 158 miles so far. It was a great day to drive around with the top down. I LUV THIS CAR[:D]

Attachments

·
Registered
06 M5, 07 RS4, 07 ML63
654 Posts
wow, yours, mine, and jmejones' SLK55's are IDENTICAL and all in the Chicago area. Well, at least you're not in the city (and stay out of my turf, lol) Iridium with red/black.... uniqueness is officially out the window much sooner than I thought, and we're sure to confuse which car is who's at a future gathering [;)] Enjoy! [:D]

·
Registered
R171 SLK200 2005
475 Posts
masmole - 3/28/2005 5:33 AM

wow, yours, mine, and jmejones' SLK55's are IDENTICAL and all in the Chicago area. Well, at least you're not in the city (and stay out of my turf, lol) Iridium with red/black.... uniqueness is officially out the window much sooner than I thought, and we're sure to confuse which car is who's at a future gathering [;)] Enjoy! [:D]
Sweet looking ride - black and red interior - niiiiceee!! [8D]

What are the odds of their being three of you in the same area with the same colour combination!!! [:p]

·
Registered
SLK 55 AMG
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
masmole - 3/27/2005 11:33 PM

Haha! This combination is most popular, I guess, and it is awesome. At least, there aren't many SLK55s in this area yet. We will need to personalize our cars soon. I am looking for some nice wheels.

Did your front brakes squeak for a while afer the delivery? Mine are becoming quieter but still squeak.... Very annoying...

It is going to be a nice day again here. Got to hit the road and fly (w/ a Cessna!).

·
Registered
350 SLK
1,528 Posts
MKSM3 - 3/28/2005 5:57 AM

masmole - 3/27/2005 11:33 PM

Haha! This combination is most popular, I guess, and it is awesome. At least, there aren't many SLK55s in this area yet. We will need to personalize our cars soon. I am looking for some nice wheels.

Did your front brakes squeak for a while afer the delivery? Mine are becoming quieter but still squeak.... Very annoying...

It is going to be a nice day again here. Got to hit the road and fly (w/ a Cessna!).
Strange about your brakes. Mine have not made a sound since the day I picked up the car. Only 380 miles so far but still no noise.

·
Registered
06 M5, 07 RS4, 07 ML63
654 Posts
yeah. mine sqeaked often on slow stops when it was new. 1400 miles later, it still squeaks but only very rarely. Funny how moody it has become. Never bothered me though. These amg brakes do an incredible job of hauling it all down from speed... it can squeak all it wants.

·
Registered
2004 SL600 Renntech ECU/TCU Upgrade...many other mods
238 Posts
Ahhh, congrats on the ride...yes another silver with red/black interior hits the road in the Chitown area. We are taking over. We all should get together one day. Great car!!!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts