Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1980 LWB 280GE
3,504 Posts
Is the tubular chassis outrigger shot too? Looks from the picture like it might be. Best bet would probably be to have someone fab new for you.

I'm pretty sure the shock mount portion can be bought separately, but I'm not certain (check chassis section of EPC). The tubular outrigger will certainly have to be remade from pipe. I'm almost certain that this part is not available as a piece separate from the chassis weldment. No matter though, that would be cheap and easy to do.

-Dave G.

·
Registered
'80 230G SWB, '03 G500, '80 280GE LWB (sold), '98 Jeep Wrangler Sahara (sold)
708 Posts
I've had both the rear ones repaired on mine on seperate occasions. I just had a highly repected 4x4 shop here in Chicago custom fab me new mounts which cost about $100 a pop.

·
Registered
'82 300 GD Cab STT ('02 G270CDi/'85 300 GD SWB)
473 Posts
I had mine replaced last winter, they were not as bad as yours thought!
They are hard to find on the EPC, so I ordered the ones from Hans Hehls excellent website, http://www.hanshehl.de/teilenummer.htm

Right: A 460 320 17 78
Left: A 460 320 16 78

It's a farily easy weld, hopefully your tube is within repareable condittion!

·
Registered
GD300 -82 LWB
235 Posts
Springplates!

Hi,

I found the partnumbers for the rearaxle springplates on this site. Greate!

Does anyone know the numbers for the plates for the front axle????

-UG-

·
Registered
300 GD SWB 1980
74 Posts
I replaced mine too last year and they were in MUCH worse condition than yours!

I got mine originally from MB:
Right: A 460 320 17 78 = 33.85 Euro without VAT
Left: A 460 320 16 78 = 33.85 Euro without VAT

Just disc the old ones off - be sure you make a few markings first so that you can mount the new ones in exactly the same postion - and weld the new ones on. In my case, the tube also was rusted very badly. So I removed that part of the tube and welded a new piece in (that I got from an accident G frame)

Not too much to worry about, the job wasn't too hard.
Although I got a proffesional welder to do the job for me...

Cheers

Jean

·
Registered
230ge
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
RE: Oh Mamma!! Welds and Shyt.....

I have ordered the parts from MB Canada. I have a question about the welding. Is there any special metal being used for the outrigger pipes? It seems the welds and pipes will have to be very strong in order to be safe. I Have ordered complete sets both sides for spring seats as well as shock tower supports (not needed on the drivers side but I figure if both sides are done it will be one less worry for years). I was wondering if there is any way of improving that area to make it better? Also...When the rear suspension is removed are there any recomended service or unobvious procedures I should be looking out for?

Thanks everyone for all the great information.
Cheers
Peter

·
Registered
230ge
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What springs should I use for this truck..I can't find any stripes or colours on the springs in there.
I figure if the rear is going to apart might as well replace the old tired springs..My vin# is wdb 460 2381 7050 829 1 Any part # would be greatly appreciated, as I do not own a epc.

Cheers
Peter

·
Registered
2000 G500 NMLE
6,980 Posts
Rear Spring

Toronto230GE - 4/7/2005 10:33 AM

What springs should I use for this truck..I can't find any stripes or colours on the springs in there.
I figure if the rear is going to apart might as well replace the old tired springs..My vin# is wdb 460 2381 7050 829 1 Any part # would be greatly appreciated, as I do not own a epc.

Cheers
Peter
The factory equipped spring was Green Striped. P/N: A.460.324.03.04. I sure that others will fit.

·
Registered
TJs, FJ40s, JGCs, G500
2,343 Posts
Peter,

when you carefully clean both ends of the spring you will find at one end a part number stamped into it.

Harald

·
Registered
230ge
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you for the valuable information, If I were to option for stiffer springs ...with a little lift perhaps, what colour would I go for? I know there are white green and orange. I would like to improve the cornering slightly without seriously stiffening the ride. I plan to put on 33" B.F. Goodrich mudterrain's next year to replace the 31" tires.

Cheers and Thanks
Peter

p.s. I assume the outrigging frame pipes are standard fare, will post photos of procedure and finished product.

·
Registered
200D, 300TD, 230GE
259 Posts
Springs

Toronto230GE - 4/7/2005 3:18 PM

Thank you for the valuable information, If I were to option for stiffer springs ...with a little lift perhaps, what colour would I go for? I know there are white green and orange. I would like to improve the cornering slightly without seriously stiffening the ride. I plan to put on 33" B.F. Goodrich mudterrain's next year to replace the 31" tires.
Hi Peter,

My 230 GE SWB had the springs replaced by the previous owner in 2001. Europa did it. I have the bill. It says "replace all four springs with takeoff springs G500" They charged him $200 for the springs and $195 labor. They do give it some lift. Since I've not had anything else, I dont have anything to compare the ride to. My tires are 31". The front springs are 3 stripe that look "tan" to me so they are either the brown or orange. The rears are 2 stipe lilac.

Since you also have a G500, you might look and see what springs are under it. Perhaps Europa has some more takeoff they would sell you at a reasonable price or maybe your local MB dealer has some.

Hope that little info helps.

Bruce

·
Registered
300 GD SWB 1980
74 Posts
RE: Oh Mamma!! Welds and Shyt.....

Toronto230GE - 4/7/2005 3:49 PM

I have a question about the welding. Is there any special metal being used for the outrigger pipes?
Well, it's not special, it is just no standard available tube. I looked in a lot of metal tube shops and nobody had metal tubes with these dimensions... Like I already said, "... I removed that part of the tube and welded a new piece in that I got from an accident G frame...".

Just make sure the thickness and diameter of the tube is the same as original...

·
Registered
300 GD SWB 1980
74 Posts
Well, as I am in Belgium and you are in the USA, I don't think it would be much of a help if I told you...

I just got mine cut off from an accident G frame... If that's not possible, maybe you can find a piece of tube out of which you can machine a tube with the correct dimensions... That was my second option.

Anyway, if you happen to pass by Belgium, I got it from 'Wintmolders' in Wellen

mosh pevans - 11/2/2005 4:22 AM

If you could tell me where you found the part I would appreciate it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts