Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2005 C240-Retired
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I got the brakes fixed, and today decided to take the wheels off to clean them really good. But I still need to fix the broken bolt issue. I tried the dremel with a very expensive bit. Nothing, didn't work. So I think I would just rather replace the darn thing than try to drill, retap, etc. Anyone know where I can get this part? Looked at autohuaz but they don't stock the part. May have to go to the Stealership.

Attachments

·
Registered
1997 Mercedes E320
94 Posts
Don't know what bolt ur missing? I had an lug bolt break off on me and had to dissamble the whole brake and rotor to unscrew broken bolt from back of hub.

Grab It 3 piece set

maybe try this product?

·
Registered
2005 C240-Retired
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Was in a previous post. The rotor retaining bolt. I broke it off when I was replacing the rotors. Most likely a minor inconvience due to fact the lugs hold it in place. But I would like it to be fixed.

·
Registered
2007 E550, 2007 GL450
479 Posts
Was in a previous post. The rotor retaining bolt. I broke it off when I was replacing the rotors. Most likely a minor inconvience due to fact the lugs hold it in place. But I would like it to be fixed.
That may be a fair amount of work and cost for a simple problem. That bolt isn't really needed other than holding the rotor on while doing the brakes...can you live without it? Lol...if you are like me, it will probably nag it you though...:D Obsessive Benz owners unite.

Have you tried drilling with a very thin bit with a hex base? Tap into the broken bolt a few mm and then use a bit of epoxy/super glue to secure the drill bit to the broken bolt. Then use a ratchet/hex screwdriver on the hex base to unscrew it. Probably doesn't need much to loosen it. These stupid bolts break all the time.

·
Registered
2005 C240-Retired
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
OK, I am going to give it another try.

Went to local store and pick'd up a Dremel 9909 Tungsten Carbide Cutter bit.

Hopefully this will do the trick. Because the quote that I got from the dealer was $310.

·
Registered
E320/E250 Bluetec Ford F350 6.7l
36,471 Posts
Carbide cutter is design for glass, isn't it?
It might drill out the bolt but it takes loooong time.
The bolt is heat threaded, but not too hard. The bits pictured above are for soft wood/plastic only. Drill bit design for metal drilling will drill it out just fine. Start with smaller bit like 1/4" and go up to needed size.

·
Registered
1996 E320
19 Posts
This is really strange for me to read this story because this happened to me about 2 weeks ago. I needed new tires but the tire shop said my lugs were frozen onto the axle.

I took my car to my benz mechanic who tried to unscrew them but they broke. He ended up having to replace the rear axle and wheel bearings and charged me $450 for labor and $257 for parts ($100 for the rear axle and $157 for the bearing kit) He had to drill out the old lugs to save the one wheel.

·
Registered
2001-W210-CAPRI METALIC BLUE-/ 2002-W210 E300D
908 Posts
D

Name, names, names, no names in post please.
thx ol !

B

·
Registered
2005 C240-Retired
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Update

Wow, $8.12 and 45 minutes later, problem solved. That bit cut thru it like butter. I drilled from behind the hub and when it got about half way the bit spun the rest out thru the front.

Nice.....

Patience is a virtue.

:bowdown:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts