Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2002 SLK 32 AMG
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I was just cruising through town, I had a car infront of me and a pick up behind me. We everyone was behaving and doing the speed limit, heck, we might have even been going 30 in a 35. All of a sudden my motor winds out and I look at the tach and I'm up around 6k, but the car's only coasting! I look at the indicator on the dash, yep, I'm in drive. Then it would kick in and man, I looked like one of those jerks trying to burn rubber behind slow traffic. The car did this twice then it went back into a coast again. I coasted into a parking lot and everything started working again! I picked up the Chineese food that we ordered and haven't had a problem again. My lights are still on for my esp and abs and baf and have an appointment for Monday to have it checked out. Another freaky thing happened when I got home, the top didn't want to go up either! OH COME ON the car has only 8 thousand fucking miles on it. I shut the car off, then turned it back on and the top came up like it was supposed to do with no issues. I'm tryin not to get depressed, but seriously, this is enough to make even the Pope mad enough to wanna break stained glass. (shaking head) for the life of me, I cannot figure out what I did to fuck my carma up so bad lol.

Time to dive into some comfort food!

·
Registered
2002 SLK 32 AMG, bone stock. 1987 190E 2.3-16 valve (destroyed). 2005 E320 new toy.
14,926 Posts
Sounds like the electronics are going nuts...........

It's got to all be related, could still be a low voltage problem.... [V]

·
Registered
SLK32, ML430
6,349 Posts
RE: Sounds like the electronics are going nuts...........

Good luck with getting the issue straightened out.

·
Registered
2002 SLK 32 AMG, bone stock. 1987 190E 2.3-16 valve (destroyed). 2005 E320 new toy.
14,926 Posts
There are a few things.
Common problems are poor battery terminal connections, a weak battery, or low alternator output. How does the car start, if it starts strong then there could be problems with the computer connections or internally in the computer.
Damn, that stinks, as if you haven't got enough to worry about..... [B)]

·
Registered
2002 SLK 32 AMG
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The car starts strong. Its going into Mercedes service on Monday. I'm a little freaked about the chirping sound I've been hearing. One dealer said that it sounded like a bushing on maybe a control arm. This stuff better be covered under the warranty. Gosh darn, I haven't had the car for two months yet.

·
Registered
14,926 Posts
Definetly sounds like a computer problem ....

They may just replace it and things will be back to "normal". Could be the computer got wet somehow... [?]
The chirping sound : If it happens when you turn the steering wheel, it is likely just a dry bearing in the steering column, this was a obviously minor problem with a number of earlier 2002 SLK's. A little lube and you're good to go. [;)]

·
Registered
14,926 Posts
So what happened ?????

·
Registered
SLK32, ML430
6,349 Posts
RE: So what happened ?????

Bruce you need to cool your gets young man [;)] It is a dealership, we won't have an answer for at least a couple more days.

·
Registered
2002 SLK 32 AMG
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I dropped the car off Monday, I told him about the transmission slipping out of gear, red linning instead of shifting, the roof not wanting to go up or down, the BAF, ABS, ESP light being on and the alarm going off when I set it after I open anything other than the drivers door. Oh, ya, and the chirp we had over the weekend that stopped like magic on Monday. The other dealership I was at said that it was control arm bushings when I showed it to them. I sorta made mention that I was get out of the car if it wasn't perfect when I get it back. He assured me that they'd keep the car for a few days and it will be perfect when I get it back. Everyone was so polite, they provided me with a brand new Toyota Camery with 430 miles on it to drive in the mean time. I just have to put gas in it when I bring it back.

·
Registered
14,926 Posts
RE: So what happened ?????

Bruce you need to cool your jets young man.
Damn 430, haven't you seen my photo ... ? [:p] [:D]
It is a dealership, we won't have an answer for at least a couple more days.
No doubt you're right... [:(]

·
Registered
'04 SLK 32 AMG
101 Posts
I cannot figure out what I did to fuck my carma up so bad lol.
--------------------------------------------------------

For one, you misspelled Karma......[:p]

·
Registered
2002 SLK 32 AMG
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I got my car back yesterday. Man, it sure looked great when I pulled into the parking lot. They polished it all up, shinned the tires, washed and vacuumed the carpets, polished up all my wood work, dusted it. Phew, it was like new. They parked it dead center to the parking lot when you pull in all by itself. The thing looked like it was going a 100 miles an hour standing there  I was just so pleased with its appearance, knowing that it was mine.

Anyway, getting to the stuff you want to hear about. From what I can understand on this service statement, the chirping sound on acceleration is normal. From what they said it’s the super charger clutch engaging. It doesn’t happen all the time, but its freaky when it does. He told me that they’ve tried to sand the belts for people in the past, but it always came back. They’ve even experimented with wedges but to no avail. I’m going to have to live with it.

As far as the car tracking funny while driving, rotated the front tires, and that fixed that.

The alarm:

10361 C.S the alarm is going off at times, Tech could not verify complaint, performed short test found codes in PSE and Alarm control module for tow sensor, trunk switch, glove box, switch telephone. The tech checked actual values in the PSE . Tech found trunk switch, phone and glove box as being open. When closed. End result, it was corrosion on the module and found moisture in electrical connections r/r pse r/r.

Hmm, ok, that fixed it, but now I need to prevent it from happening again don’t I?

Trans slipping into neutral:
Tech found shifter not seating in drive detent fully. Tech performed adjustment of shifter linkage.

Not shifting while passing:
After short test it was determined code P2400 RR speed sensor sent from traction control implausible. Tech determined RR Speed sensor causing miss shift and replaced.

ABS, BAF and ESP light:
Tech found no signal from pin 1 and 2 in right side wheel speed sensor found code 1103008

Its all gibberish to me guys, I can’t read these service reports.

The Roof:
From what I gather, one of the sensors was thinking the trunk wasn’t closed so the roof wouldn’t go up or down. That was fixed with the PSE and speed sensor.

Sorry I wasn’t more informative. Like I said, I don’t understand these things. I was just trying to copy what made sense of the papers for ya.

The weird thing, I don't have anything that says anything about low voltage like the manual says.

[:(!][:(!]

·
Registered
98 SLK 230 E300 TD;
15 Posts
Check the output of the alternator...yep, the alternator...sounds crazy, but I had every one of those problems and the car was starting strong and there were no instrument idiot lights to suggest a problem, but the alternator was only putting out 11.2. The new alternator did the trick and I have not had any problem since. Remember, simple fixes first!

·
Registered
98 SLK 230 E300 TD;
15 Posts
Check the output of the alternator...yep, the alternator...sounds crazy, but I had every one of those problems and the car was starting strong and there were no instrument idiot lights to suggest a problem, but the alternator was only putting out 11.2. The new alternator did the trick and I have not had any problem since. Remember, simple fixes first!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts