Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1982 380SL
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Anybody have any first- or second-hand recommendations for an independent mechanic to work on my '82 380SL in the Columbus, Ohio area?

Options would be the Dayton area or the Indianapolis area, since I have free places to stay in those places.

UPDATE: Google gave me this: http://www.benzshops.com

·
Registered
1966 230SL, 2006 C230
147 Posts
Some people still take these cars to the dealerships.
Some people like Evan's Automotive. (Morse Rd.)
Some people like Blagoi's. (Upper Arlington)
Some people like Acceleration Foreign Auto. (N. Hight St.)
Some people like Niday Auto Service. (Powell)
For body repair, I use True Performance. (Plain City)

·
Registered
83 300CD, 07 ML320 CDI, 04 WRX, 86 300D (totalled by my neighbor), 85 300D (sold)
875 Posts
Achbach - 161 cor Morse Road. Excellent body work - but slow.... BMW authorized repair shop. No cutting corners here. Dan Achbach will even personally tour you in his multi million dollar German paint booths (water based of course).

Bill Dovell Motor Car Co. I understand they used to be a MB dealer decades ago. Very honest and reliable. Personal attention from the owner himself. Owners end up buddies with the mechanics.

·
Registered
16 Posts
body and paint work :
#1 Dan Achbach (bar none) the Obi-Wan-Kenobi of his industry
#2 Randall at True Performance

and PLEASE do not mention time when talking about perfection.
because that takes time.

for mechanical stuff i have a friend who takes his 944 to Evans and is happy and also know a few people who take their cars to Blagois and are happy with them. personally I cannot vouch for either.

·
Registered
1984 W123 Mercedes-Benz 230E (Euro)
8 Posts
New to the forums, and new to MB.

I've looked up info on benzshops.com, and I'm curious about the recommendations that you all might have directly. To add one of my own, I actually live not too far away from Bill Dovell's shop (walking-distance), and dealing with him is an absolute pleasure--he's super helpful too (he helped me out in the process of eventually finding my '84 230E just for the sake of doing so). His mechanic seems like a pretty straight-up kind of guy, but keep in mind he can be snarky sometimes (after all, the MBs he works on are always broken when they come in) :)

Anyway, I figured I would bump this thread and see what people had to say about experiences taking gray-market vehicles to mechanics around town, just to specify the search parameters a little more.

The reason why I ask is that gray-markets sometimes scare mechanics (maybe because they can't get parts??? :dunno: I am not sure why, to be honest, but I've been warned, so better safe than sorry I guess.....). I'm not terribly keen about taking it to a dealer unless it's a last resort (my girlfriend drives a VW Jetta and her dealership charged her $150/hr for labour, let alone parts/etc)...I am a MBCA member, but even with a discount on parts and such, it may end up being way pricier, even if I order parts straight from Tom Hanson at MB Classic Centre (which I don't mind doing...Tom's super-nice too).

Anyway, any recommendations/thoughts about gray-market service is appreciated!

·
Registered
2002 ML320 & 2005 C240
5 Posts
MB Star Performance on Huntley Rd. Don and Terry...614-547-0571. When a mechanic says "I wouldn't fix it", you know you are in the right place.

·
Registered
83 300CD, 07 ML320 CDI, 04 WRX, 86 300D (totalled by my neighbor), 85 300D (sold)
875 Posts
I am wondering if anyone here in Columbus has ever had an oil cooler seal replaced on a OM642 diesel engine. I want to know if its better to go to a MBenz, a Freightliner, Dodge/Chrylser dealership or to a good indie like Blagois.

·
Registered
2002 ML320 & 2005 C240
5 Posts
MB Star Performance on Huntley Rd. Don and Terry...614-547-0571. You won't find a more fair or friendly place. Tell them Tom with the gold ML sent you. You won't be sorry.

·
Registered
1998 C230
1 Posts
MB Star Performance on Huntley Rd. Don and Terry...614-547-0571. You won't find a more fair or friendly place. Tell them Tom with the gold ML sent you. You won't be sorry.
Thanks, Tom with the gold ML! I was thinking about checking out MB Star, although they are a further drive for me, and Niday are right around the corner from me in Powell. Can you tell me what their hourly labor rate is at MB Star?

Thanks again, I appreciate the feedback!

Dan

·
Registered
2002 ML320 & 2005 C240
5 Posts
I don't know. It was just so much cheaper than Crowne, I never asked. Most of the time its an A/B service ($56.00 plus .

They have about six racks, and they are always filled. They keep the shop very clean. A Service is about $175 vs. $249.00 at Crowne.

Call and ask Don. I'm sure he would answer any questions.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Another place I found was BNZ Automotive north of New Albany. Guy was a 20+ year Benz dealer tech and is running a full shop at his place. He seemed to have all the equipment and knew exactly what was wrong with my older E320. His prices were the lowest I came across and he even took credit cards.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts