Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found out today that my mirrors do fold in properly and go back out properly...until my steering wheel, my mirrors and power seats stopped working. I'm going to check fuses first

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Oh yeah, we should not be surprise. It happens all the time....things work one day and the next day...nada. For me, it's the freakin closing assist....only rear passenger doors close by themselves now...the front two have stopped working...(do not want to do the fuse#9 trick too often...no sense burning out the vacuum motor prematurely).

Yeah, sounds like a fuse. If it is the fuse, then the real question is why did it blow?

·
Registered
4,103 Posts

·
Registered
4,103 Posts

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
How do you get the mirror glass off? Just pry it off from the center ball?

and do i need to rewire it, or just put full length insulation to cover the wires up?

ill give you your five if you fix them lol

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
How do you get the mirror glass off? Just pry it off from the center ball?
Push the rod in the direction of the red arrows first, then the blue arrows.

might want to do a full re-wire.

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
thats weird i thought it was that clip too, but it almost felt like it was glued in place!
It doesnt move that far, and it may be spot glued in place.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
i cant seem to figure out how to get the wires out of the harness tip...i know press down it should move and it does but wont come out all the way....im missing anything? EDIT NEVERMIND, I REMOVED THE GRAY SECTION THAT WAS ACTUALLY A LOCK...ALL MOVE FREELY NOW

as for heat shrink tubing, im gonna use that and ill replace the couple of bad mid sections with new wire but do i need to use a heater to melt them down? or just slip over the wire?

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
i cant seem to figure out how to get the wires out of the harness tip...i know press down it should move and it does but wont come out all the way....im missing anything? EDIT NEVERMIND, I REMOVED THE GRAY SECTION THAT WAS ACTUALLY A LOCK...ALL MOVE FREELY NOW

as for heat shrink tubing, im gonna use that and ill replace the couple of bad mid sections with new wire but do i need to use a heater to melt them down? or just slip over the wire?
Hair dryer.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
For me, it's the freakin closing assist....only rear passenger doors close by themselves now...the front two have stopped working...(do not want to do the fuse#9 trick too often...no sense burning out the vacuum motor prematurely).
yea, i stopped using the trunks close assist by manually engaging it before closing it and i dont need to reset my pump very often. my pass rear door does not work at all so im thinking switch is bad on that door, and i have a possible leak for the trunk assist. after the mirrors ill be attacking that system next.

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
yea, i stopped using the trunks close assist by manually engaging it before closing it and i dont need to reset my pump very often. my pass rear door does not work at all so im thinking switch is bad on that door, and i have a possible leak for the trunk assist. after the mirrors ill be attacking that system next.
If its just one door not working, check the actuator in that door along with the lines.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
yea i saw both of those links, thanks!. my wires, at least on passenger side ( i havent removed drivers side yet...i will do one at a time and my passenger mirror was the one that was always moving along when i adjusted the steering wheel) dont look as bad as yours except for 2 in a short area and its only half as bad.

·
Registered
680 Posts
If you haven't dug too far yet, I found a product called "Liquid Insulation Tape" (LIT), that you can brush on or spray on - I used the brush-on. Dries fast, holds up. I have a mirror DIY here showing pix of how to remove mirror and the LIT in place.

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w140-s-class/1553731-diy-external-mirror-replacement-using-same.html

If the wires don't have much green corrosion this is a lot easier fix. I've seen a couple of different brands.

My driver's side was about half as bad as yours, and the right had no problems at all.

I finally replaced my side mirrors because the triangular rubber seals had been falling apart. The "fixed" wires still looked great after ~6 mo I think it was. Apparently you can't get just the seal, and besides, it looks like the way they put the wires on, they put them through the holes and THEN added the connectors. Sure does not look like enough room to pull the connectors through the holes. Anyway, that was a big bullet to bite, but they look great now. And the seals are functional, keeping water out of the door. When you fold the mirrors back, however, everything inside the cover/housing is exposed to the rain, so you might not want to fold them back if it looks like rain.

If you're real paranoid, the bad people can easily remove them folded back, just like we do it.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
success! mirrrors fold, power seats work, drivers mirror works, steering tilt works and does not move mirror....BUT...pass side mirror does not work at all. unfortunately it wasnt working well before this job so i may have killed the motor to it. before it only turned in...i may have popped it too many times. i didnt tackle the drivers mirror at all....its working fine...i may just leave it for now im afraid to break the glass movement motor if i did mess up the passenger one. (im assuming it was bad before anyways).

my memory seats still do not work tho...im guessing thats a different problem

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
Pictures? lol.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts