Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

81 - 84 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Rubicon Unlimited (Let the shame be upon me!)
3,729 Posts
MB Trac 1800 Intercooled

MB-trac im Grünland-Einsatz

MB Trac 1600 Intercooled

A grab bag of modern action

MB Trac & Unimog Combined Power Operations Part 1

MB Trac & Unimog Combined Power Operations Part 2

MB Trac & Unimog Part 1

MB Trac & UNimog Part 2

·
Unimog Moderator
250GD Wolf
13,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #82
love it and done it in a JD conventional skidder with an associated concussion. it really tributes the engineering in the clutch and suspension of the machine. have to put it on the bucket list of another thing
to drive.
In most cases. But in the case of the MB Trac with portal axles (they heavier series use planetary axles) they had some issues. The smaller series when equipped with a crane of skidder actually had an issue with breaking the rear axle, the portal housings would push outwards like this: /\ and eventually fail. An axle brace kit exists that bolts into the lower portals and has a bar the goes between them, right under the axle. Unfortunately this kills rear ground clearance but it was better than a busted axle. The later larger series with the planetary axle didn't have this issue, but they were pretty big for maneuvering in the tree's.

With the larger tires on the MB Trac (as compared to say, a Unimog) the stresses on the portal housings were quite high, and this was a common occurrence.
DSC09741.JPG

·
Unimog Moderator
250GD Wolf
13,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #83
Was just reviewing old MB Trac video's posted above because I'm obsessed, and noticed this lighted High/Low shift knob, never noticed it before even though I've watched the video a few times, would be really cool retrofit for a Claas Overdrive or something (Shift Knob is shown at 10:35)

[ame]https://youtu.be/IgoNX0xG2jc?t=635[/ame]

81 - 84 of 84 Posts