Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
'01 ML320, '03 C240
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I realise that I hardly ever particiate in here, but here's a horror story that I would like to share...

So I start a new business out of town, and I soon (2 months) realise that if i drive my ML320 (or the wife's C240) everyday for 160km one way, in no time, i will drive it to the ground and of course, if the traffic hazards dont kill me, the gas prices will... so i decide to buy myself a nice little second car, a VW Jetta TDI (after having a wonderful experience driving a Peugeot 206 diesel in the UK while touring the Lake District)... then i met the dealer from H.E.L.L. below is a duplicate of a posting on a VW forum, which I also frequent after having bought the TDI...

<<< Start Paste >>>
Its unfortunate that VW dealerships have to be independently owned. I have a horror story to tell of my own.

2 days ago, I picked up a 2000 Jetta TDI from Mississauga Volkswagen in southern Ontario, Canada after negotiating a trade in on an old car that I have had since college. I had agreed on the trade in price with the salesman with whom i dealt with from day 1, but unfortunately on the day of delivery, he was down with flu and was not able to do the delivery himself. He asked for me to look up his sale manager, who would be expecting me in the evening. Naturally, I called the manager up and politely asked if i could collect the car abt 2 hrs before the agreed time, and he said he wasn’t sure but "to give him a call before coming". In the end, I got held up at work and ended up arriving at the dealership at the originally agreed time.

Upon arriving at the dealership, the manager meets me in the car park, doesn’t look too happy, blurts out "I thought you wanted to come earlier?" and then proceeds to hurriedly drive my trade-in into the workshop. Then he tries to switch the plates, has trouble with the rusted bolts, rummages noisily through the mechanics' tool boxes (its 6:20pm and none of the mechanics are there), uses some wrong tools, then yells out "F&*K!" (which he claims later is because he hurt himself), grumbles about why I don’t ask for new plates cos "they're easier to remove and install". He also says that they are making a loss on my trade in and it is definitely not worth the price agreed upon. Again he grumbles at me being ‘late’ and shows me a bill for a $30 car wash he paid for just so he could “make it in time for me�. I try to help by loosening the plates on the front, trying not to aggravate him any further... I move my personal stuff from the old car to the new, and in the course of doing so, realizes that the trunk is really really stiff, requires a lot of effort to open and close... I enquire abt this, and he says, all Jettas are like that, even the new ones... I find it strange, but say nothing except that I think it might be the pneumatic shocks in the trunk...

He manages to switch the plates, and i inform him that my wife, (who is one of the owners of the car for personal reasons) is not there yet, and could he please give her another 10 mins? He says ok, but he would need to serve another customer so I would have to wait 10 mins. While waiting, i try the trunk on one of the new Jettas and realise that the trunk works perfectly. My wife arrives shortly, he sees her, doesnt acknowledge her presence even though its obvious that she is the person we're waiting for. The wife finds it strange but says nothing.

20 mins later, he motions us to a unused counter and asks that we sign the bill of sale. I ask him if he will do anything abt the trunk and he says that the mechanics have lubed it and it should work after a month of use... I ask, if it doesn’t, is it under the 2 year warranty that comes with pre-certified VWs? He says no. I ask him if he would add an extra line highlighting the problem, and he says yes. He writes "Shocks to be replaced if necessary in one month". I told him that I didn’t quite agree because I wasn’t a qualified mechanic and didn’t know if the problem was with the shocks. He refused to change it and insisted that me and my wife signed the bill. We refused and we argued over that for almost an hour. I asked to speak to the salesman, which he calls on the phone, and instead of resolving our differences, the salesman accuses me of “abusing sales people� because I said “as a customer, I think I am entitled to be a little late�. I ask to speak to higher management and the manager said there was nobody there who was higher in authority than him.

By this time, I was extremely tired after the argument and a hard day's work and was in no mood to buy the car anymore. I asked for my deposit of $1000 back and the manager said "No, the deposit is non-refundable" He also says if I wanted to switch the plates back, he would do so immediately, but I would have a problem because my car was no longer registered and was not illegal to be driven. To this I replied that I would either leave the car in the parking lot or get a tow truck. The manager says ok but I am still not getting my deposit back. I ask for him to call the salesman again, and he does so. While I am talking to the salesman, I can see him in the workshop switching back the plates. I tell the salesman that all I want is for the problem to be highlighted, and a simple line saying “excessive effort needed to open trunk� would be sufficient for me. The salesman asks to speak to his manager and the manager adds another line to the bill, “Excessive effort required to open trunk, to Mr XXX�. I ask him what that means and he says, “everybody’s different, so I am just saying that it is you that feels that it is heavy�. I say that is absurd, and now we are really getting heated up. I ask him to ask his receptionist to try the trunk and he says there is no need to. (???)

I had reached the absolute limit of my patience and start to walk out of the dealership, he talks to the sales man again and finally agrees to cancel the “to Mr XXX�. In the end, the wife and I sign the bill and get out of the dealership, only to find that the car did not come with floor mats, as promised by the salesman when selling the car. I decide against going back in and drive off home, wondering if I had made a mistake in buying the car. Anyway I call VW North America the next afternoon and reported my unforgettable buying experience to the customer service officer. She sounded like she genuinely wanted to help and said she would investigate.

Earlier yesterday, the salesman calls me, asks me if I have another key to the trade-in, and I say I should have another spare key sitting somewhere. He asks to have it, and in return I ask him for the floor mats. He says the car was from “a batch of VWs that didn’t come with floor mats, but I will try to find you a used set�. I said ok, fine. But when can I pick them up? He says he will call me when he is back in the office.

Earlier this evening, I receive a call from him, telling me that he had found the used floor mats for me, and where was my key? I said I wouldn’t mind dropping off the key tomorrow morning, but could I have my mats? He says no, I can only pick up the mats on Saturday, but I had to drop off the key ASAP. I said no, I was not going to make 2 trips to the dealership, which is totally out of my way. He says, well then its too bad, “if the wholesalers that we sell the car to wants more keys, then we will have to bill you for the duplicates�. I tell him that I will let VW N.A handle this and he says, “As you wish� and hangs up. He calls back again 10 mins later and asks if he can leave the mats with the manager that did the delivery, so I can pick them up tomorrow morning, and to this I say no. By now I had no wish to see the manager ever again, and definitely will not want to deal with him. I tell him no, and he says “I want to work with you, but you are not co operating� I tell him that I had enough of his nonsense and I can well afford new floor mats and will wait for VW N.A.’s reply on their dealers’ practices.

I apologize for the extremely long post, and hope that by voicing our grievances online, we can make a stand against rogue dealerships. Maybe I am difficult customer, but I definitely do not think I am an unreasonable one. We have 2 Mercedes Benzs that we bought from the dealership and I have to say that MB treats their customers 1000 times better than VW probably because most of them are owned by MB Canada. Even on the one occasion that I had to have one of the MBs checked in Montreal during a trip, the independent dealer exhibited excellent service.

I am still waiting to hear from VW on this, and wonder how they will choose to resolve this. I am utterly shocked at the way Mississauga Volkswagen treats their customers and hope no car buyer will have to go through what I went through.

<<< End Paste >>>

·
Registered
497 Posts
I had a bad experience with a local (UK) Mercedes dealership some time ago, but I was able to resolve it because the dealers are owned by MB; I wrote to the directors of MB UK and all was resolved properly and without rancour.

So, commiserations with you over your bad experience and I suppose it is a lesson learned, i.e. you do not just buy the car you also 'buy the dealership'.

·
BenzWorld Post Whore
10 E350 4MATIC
3,832 Posts
Curious, why did you arrive on the originally agreed time anyway AFTER asking the manager to

collect the car 2 hours earlier then showing up at the dealership without calling the manager ahead of time and expect him to feel "okay" with that? He was obviously expecting you earlier after your "last" conversation with him when you asked to come in earlier. Maybe he was having a bad day (short of salesman that day). IMHO, it seems you NEVER told (called) him you were coming at the originally agreed time and that what started this whole thing...about him giving you an attitude. I'm sorry but I hate being late for ANY appointment.

·
Registered
12 Posts
hi patrickc,

you showed great restrain not having resorted to violence[B)][B)]

i´d have left the premises and raised hell afterwards to get the money back and some "compensation"

1 - 4 of 4 Posts