Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1995 E320
2,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of the nice citizens of LA was kind enough to kick my drivers door in. Twice.

My (once) immaculate 95 E320 now has an inoperable outside drivers door handle and the window won't roll down. The alarm won't activate because the door pull sticks out just slightly and the door lock knob won't go all the way down.
This is the same car with no codes but one cylinder (maybe two) not firing. Did I mention the front bumper lower valance got ripped off when the chain came loose as I was being towed last week?

When it rains,...

·
Registered
Black 560 SEC AMG, White 560 SEC Carat (RIP 09) , 300E
1,296 Posts
it never fails to amaze me when our cars get vandalized, what motivates them? Envy? Its not like our cars are new mercedes benzes. Thats the downside of owning a mercedes benz, narrow minded idiots think you are rich and you owe them something in life. Sorry about your car but what goes around comes around i hope!

·
Premium Member
'97 CL600
2,943 Posts
Where is LA did this happen? Like all big crappy cities, there are places that one shouldn't frequent. I was parked one block from Skid Row on a corner in plain sight and someone broke the passenger side window, and stole the radio right out of the car, butchering the dash as they went. If I could have found the a-----e, he would have been butchered. :mad:
Anziani

·
Registered
E550W4
1,879 Posts
That sucks!

Some peoples' lives are such crap that when they see something nice they want to make it look at crappy as they feel.

It's stories like this that are the reason I keep my VW Bus under lock and key and, when I do park it somewhere, it's within sight and only in posh neighborhoods.

Sorry about your rig that sucks.

·
Registered
91 500SL 37k,90 300SE sold, 91 300E sold , 92 300E137k ,02 Kia Sedona ,I know..... its a Mini van.
8,143 Posts
Sucks! like the time the 2 gang bangers were pacing along side of me and flipping me off! funny thing they were driving a 2005 Benz! better to have tinted windows and dark glass's on. these are old cars I don't get it. its not like their fricking 911's

·
Registered
'04 G500, '00 E55 AMG, '90 300TE 4Matic, '82 240D
1,953 Posts
it never fails to amaze me when our cars get vandalized, what motivates them? Envy? Its not like our cars are new mercedes benzes. Thats the downside of owning a mercedes benz, narrow minded idiots think you are rich and you owe them something in life. Sorry about your car but what goes around comes around i hope!
+1 I've had people ask me about my "new mercedes" and they're usually shocked when I tell them the year, they'd probably be even more shocked if I told them what it was worth :rolleyes:. But all of this is sort of a double edge sword, everyone thinks you're a rich prick

and john I'm loving the new picture :D

·
Registered
1995 E320
2,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I live in Northridge right near the border with North Hills.

It's a decent area but my old car was vandalised several times; for the stereo. This one is all stock.

·
Registered
E320/E250 Bluetec Ford F350 6.7l
36,717 Posts
That reminds me couple guys talking on the plane about the safety in the places they live.
First guy said that he is from LA. The second open his mouth widely asking
- " I heard LA is pretty danger city to live in?"
"Nah" answered the 1st guy, "nothing to worry about"
"so what you do for a living in LA?"
" I am garbage truck rear gunlet operator"

To OP >>> after long rain there is always lot of sunshine to come.

·
Premium Member
W-1-2-3 Go!
16,161 Posts
Sorry to hear that. Not one week into my 190E ownership, it received multiple scratches on the side, which I attempted to buff off. My mother's 300TE, was parked in my uncle's place when somebody keyed the car badly.

Chabanais is right, some people just want to pass on the crappy feeling to others. But like Kajtek1 said, there'll be sunshine after the rain (or a rainbow).

·
Registered
2008 E350 4M, 2016 Audi Allroad, 2019 Audi Q5
5,447 Posts
This is why I am buying a house with a garage in the coming few months. Its mandatory. The wagon's getting locked up every day.

Wish car's had a anti-theft device that held the offending person down til you get there. Then justice is served when you arrive.

·
Registered
W124 E420 : W220 S500 : W222 S550
402 Posts
really stinks.... how is your recovery from surgery?

they hate the MB moniker....... it says success - they dont like success...
after all, successful people only got that way by cheating others............ yeah right.....

focus on the good in life as you work on fixing the "not so good"

·
Registered
1995 E320
2,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm not buying real estate in LA at these inflated prices. Some dowdy little 1950 something house on a parcel of land about the size of a postage stamp and they want $300000 for it?

If I was just about anywhere else in the country other than Boston, San Francisco, Chicago or New York, I would have bought a long time ago.

The recovery is coming along. 2nd day at work today. Tiny bit more tolerable than yesterday. Still can't really say I have felling from the balls of my feet to my toes on the bottom of my right foot. But the podiatrist says I must walk on them constantly to increase recovery.

Good to be back at work. In two weeks I go on vacation. lol. Tough life.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Damn!

Must say, I've never heard of someone kicking in the door panel of a Pontiac Asstec or a Dodge whatever there naming their p.o.s. these days.

If you own a Benz, most people hate you, even if it's a 1,500 craigslist find.

·
Registered
2005 E320 CDI
104 Posts
Happened to me just 2 months ago. Parked my car and went in to buy some things. Came out and the @hole who parked next to me slammed his car door next to mine causing a big @ss dent on my driver side door. He's lucky he wasn't there when I came back out of the store. I was so pissed when I saw it. I expect some small dings in a parking lot. But this dent was obviously malicious.

·
Registered
402 Posts
it stinks

even on my 22yr old 300E, I park far away from the careless. I have a tiny paint chip in my 06 from being forced to park for a few weeks at the airport - someone got me - only mark on the sides/rear..... I sometimes feel that it is intentional, but the more than likely the parking lot dings are random........ I just take the longer walk to keep from breaking someones face.

Happened to me just 2 months ago. Parked my car and went in to buy some things. Came out and the @hole who parked next to me slammed his car door next to mine causing a big @ss dent on my driver side door. He's lucky he wasn't there when I came back out of the store. I was so pissed when I saw it. I expect some small dings in a parking lot. But this dent was obviously malicious.

·
Registered
1990 Mercedes Benz 300E
1,336 Posts
The w124/w126 series are the "quintessential" MBs. Even if you removed the badges the average layman could probably identify them as MBs. The same cannot be said about later model runs as the MB styling department got less bold and more "generic-lux".

Having a quintessential MB with decent paint will make it even more a target of the destructive and envious.

·
Registered
402 Posts
not sure of why, but reading this made me smile with pride.......
The w124/w126 series are the "quintessential" MBs. Even if you removed the badges the average layman could probably identify them as MBs. The same cannot be said about later model runs as the MB styling department got less bold and more "generic-lux".

Having a quintessential MB with decent paint will make it even more a target of the destructive and envious.

·
Registered
1995 E320
2,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'm up to here with my car.

For some reason this car loves to mess with me. First time around was when I originally made this thread; misfire that wasn't solved by replacing the afflicted parts. Had to succumb and take her to the mechanic while I was dead broke and still on half a leg just about.
Now, twice, recently, it has died right at startup and refused to start again. Cranked, caught for a split second, died. I left it at work and the next day it started just fine as though nothing was wrong. Two weeks later, same thing. Two hours later, it started just fine.

It always (ok, it's only been three times. But, since I follow the same starting procedure I always notice anything different.) catches for a split second, then dies. Subsequent efforts to start don't catch, it just cranks and cranks. I left it for 6 hours and it refused to start.

NO CODES.

The first time it happened I had code Code 11. This time nothing. Reset it. No change. Disconnected the battery. No change.

I'm very close to just buying an appliance and being done with W124s. The allure of a dull as a dishwasher Toyota or Honda has never sounded as inviting.

I hope i'm in a better frame of mind in the morning.

·
Registered
1987 300D
78 Posts
Two of my cars sit in the driveway. They are both protected with video surveillance and an infrared beam. Anyone crosses the infrared immediately rings a chime in my bedroom whereupon I grab the remote and flip on the TV which is left on the camera input before going to bed. In the last two years there have been 4 people checking to see if they are locked and one punk squirting Taco sauce on the trunk lids. All the video is recorded in case I recognize anyone. Two of them I ran out there and hollared at them, any more I think I will just hit the panic button on the remote for the newer car.

My infrared is an Optex 2000. I set it up inside of a 8" piece of PVC with a peephole and a hood, above animal height. No false alarms, ever. If it chimes, there is a person out there.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts