Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a ticket in PA for not having my car registered... I had just purchased the car and was driving it to IA to register it.... now theyre saying they want a trial and if i dont show found guilty.. they sent me a letter saying they were gonna suspend my liscense in a few days. someone told me that if they did, it would only be suspended in PA, so id be fine to keep driving in IA. Anyone know if this is true?

·
Premium Member
2,882 Posts
Just saying that it gets a lot more traffic than the W140 section does and a lot more people are likely to look at this kind of topic than in here.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
You guys have some strange laws in US thats for sure....in NZ you only loose license for either speeding or DUI and perhaps causing accident/reckless driving thats about all....

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Did you buy the car in PA? Do you live in PA? Are you now in Iowa. Where did you receive the letter and who sent it to you? Did you have a 21 day permit from PA after you bought the car I assume in PA? You don't stand a chance in court if the original license plates were still on the car and you did not have a 21-or 30 day permit to drive it to Iowa to register it there.
What make of car was it?

·
Registered
31,633 Posts
Don't post in OT, you'll be crucified in there.

Spend $50 to sit down for a half hour with an attorney in your home state -- which we can only guess is Iowa? -- and lay this out. This is a matter of state law, comity and a form of reciprocity. If they have the proper agreements in place between the states, whatever they determine will have the full force and effect of law in your home state. Stop ignoring this and posting online, get knowledgeable, informed help and get it NOW.

Take care and enjoy the ride,
Greg

·
Banned
4,583 Posts
You were driving without any type of plate on the car at all? Or you were driving it with a plate by it has an expired tag? Or you were driving it on someone else's plate?

·
Registered
133 Posts
your license would be suspended, period. it would only be a matter of time before Iowa gets word from PA that they suspended your license. apparently you either had no temp transport tags or something was out of order for PA to proceed in this manner. get it fix asap as the same manner your license is good in the 50 states, it can also be suspended in the same 50 states starting with PA.

·
10,293 Posts
your license would be suspended, period. it would only be a matter of time before Iowa gets word from PA that they suspended your license. apparently you either had no temp transport tags or something was out of order for PA to proceed in this manner. get it fix asap as the same manner your license is good in the 50 states, it can also be suspended in the same 50 states starting with PA.
easy, we dont even have all of the needed info...

from the info he provided, this is a minor misdeminor - 100-200 bucks at most, and doest not mandate lic suspention.

post the info drcharlesatlas requested so we can help you.

·
Registered
31,633 Posts
easy, we dont even have all of the needed info...

from the info he provided, this is a minor misdeminor - 100-200 bucks at most, and doest not mandate lic suspention.

post the info drcharlesatlas requested so we can help you.
Um, yeah, we're missing information, but that is irrelevant. Exactly what help can we provide? At this point he needs legal advice: for it to have advanced from the "pay the fine" stage suggests the ticket was issued and then ignored by the OP. Now that he's in hot water he's posting here instead of seeking meaningful help.

The conclusory posts that assume all laws are the same are not exactly helpful, either. Not every state is in the compact. The point is that he needs specific, directed, legal input, not miscellaneous posts on an internet forum.

Good luck to the OP and to all, Happy Thanksgiving.

Take care and enjoy the ride,
Greg

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
If he really was on his way to IA from PA after buying the car, he should have at least had a receipt, a pink slip showing ownership transfer, or something to this effect.

There is a lot of missing pieces to this story as 1st laid out

He sounds like he may be related to the woman in Georgia who had her car repo'd a few months ago (thought it was illegal to take the car eve though she was behind in payments) and ran here for help.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts