Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello my fellow benz buddies, I have a 2010 ml350 blutech. I am looking to put some 17inch rims on her with some off road terrain tires. The stock 19 rims are ok but i do live in the mountains here in Ny. Since winter is here id figure I would put dedicated rims and tires for my fallout seasons.... :eek:

So heres my question.. On tireracks website the say with 17 inch rims you can put a 235/65/17 on her.... I would like to try to put 245/75/17 on the car. the reason is their is way more of a vatiety in tires for off road terrain. But of coarse if the dont fit im not and will just stick with the recommended size.

Anyone out here know if this size is workable?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Since you are on the Tire Rack website anyway, why not just buy a snow tire & wheel package? I travel to snowy places during the winter and that's the option I'm considering. I can take the 'regular' Michelin run-flat tires on gravel roads in the mountains (Tenn, NC & N. GA) and they do just fine. IMHO, snow tires are best in snow; my Yokohama All Terrain tires (low miles, good tread) met their match in 14" of snow last winter going up steep mountain gravel roads. I'm anxious to test the Blizzak snow tires (and cable chains for backup) this winter.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
I just bought and had installed the 19" Blizzaks from TireRack last week. I'm anxious for it to snow just to try them out as the Pirelli Scorpion all seasons were literally dangerous in the snow. I was originally going for the whole package (wheel+tire+TPMS) but the wheel I wanted sold out for the season before I could purchase.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have had both tires. Winter and off road.. I prefer the off road just for the fact that I can use them in so many more enviroments..

Has anyone ever ran the size tires I asked above tho?

·
Registered
449 Posts
I am led to believe that the OUTSIDE diameter of all ML tire sizes(17,18,19,20 in) are all the same. The difference is the profile of the tires - 65 vs 55 vs 45 etc, so the speedometer and odometer read correctly. So, going from 235-65 to 245-70 increases the outside diameter of the tire and that's a no no. Do a search on tire size.
Pls someone correct me if I am wrong here.
BTW, I got 17 in tires with ml 07 ML CDI and am glad I did.
At 140K miles , I am due for my 4th set of tires.
I get xl load range tires with a thicker side wall ( less flex and better response).
This time I got General Grabbers HTS from Tire Rack. They get installed over the weekend.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I think as long as the tires are the same size all the way the way around I should be fine. Assuming the tires also fit the truck. Oooppss I overlooked was the tps system.. If i dont put it on my new rims does the car throw codes or something?

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
I like the dakota Definity that I got at Pep Boys. I have been using the 255-70-16 and the 285-75-16 and like them very well. They are good value and last a lot longer than the stock Dunlops I used to use. I also have 3 sets of rims and tires so I can change up depending on what kind of trip I am planning on taking, and one set for commuting...

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have had both tires. Winter and off road.. I prefer the off road just for the fact that I can use them in so many more enviroments.. ?
Snow tires are designed to be used in cold weather, they're a softer compound that fares better as the temps drop. I don't believe off-road tires off the same advantage. Just my .02

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Your 100 percent right on the snow tires being better in winter.. They have a softer compound. Hey rudedude. Your saying you run 16 inch rims on ML? I didint think the 16inch rims fit on the ml. Maybe the older ones.. I debating on the snow for the 19s now cause the tires on it are still in awesome shape, they only got 10,000 miles on em. I love to put some 20's on it and then get the 17inch rims with all terrain tires, but then im still stuck with the 19inch rims.. We shall see maybe santa will be good...

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Mine is a 1998 so they came with 16" but I have a set of 17" for hiway performance with Michilin tires and 2 sets of 16" in different sizes.

Check craigslist.org. for the rims I got the last set for $120.00 in perfect condition. Probably a lot of good ones in NY because everyone likes to upgrade to big rims like here in Ca.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts