Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

41 - 56 of 56 Posts

W220 Moderator
My linkage is the non adjustable type
What @wallyp is referring to is that there is a tiny metal pressing "lug" on the Front Upper Wisbone Bracket, and when locating a Height Sensor it is easy to mis place it slightly ;) ...............

Also it is worth noting (although usually not necessary), that strictly speaking the Airmatic Module / Sensors are supposed to be re Calibrated after replacing Sensors ;)

I seriously think you should do all the correct tests on this system with SDS, before you know it, (if you haven't already), you will have wasted money on un necessary parts to the point that you could have bought yourself an SDS System ;)

Parts Darts is not the answer on these Cars ;)

HTH,

Registered
Discussion Starter #42
What @wallyp is referring to is that there is a tiny metal pressing "lug" on the Front Upper Wisbone Bracket, and when locating a Height Sensor it is easy to mis place it slightly ;) ...............

Also it is worth noting (although usually not necessary), that strictly speaking the Airmatic Module / Sensors are supposed to be re Calibrated after replacing Sensors ;)

I seriously think you should do all the correct tests on this system with SDS, before you know it, (if you haven't already), you will have wasted money on un necessary parts to the point that you could have bought yourself an SDS System ;)

Parts Darts is not the answer on these Cars ;)

HTH,
Can you post a picture of the "tiny metal pressing "lug" on the Front Upper Wisbone Bracket"?

Outstanding Contributor , SDS Guru
1998 MB E300TD, 1997 MB E36 AMG, 2001 MB E55 AMG

W220 Moderator
The part I'm referring to is a metal bracket that you screw the Plastic Sensor onto, it is held to the Vehicle by the Forward Upper Wishbone Mounting Bolt

W220 Moderator
No, that is where the Sensor Linkage Bracket fixes .................

Forward Upper Wishbone, (the pic) Bush Retaining Bolt also has the Height Sensor retaining Bracket fixed to it !!

FWIW that picture is showing the Wishbone upside down to how it would be fitted on the car, so I'm talking about the Bolt that goes through the Bush just to the right of your red circle (in pic) !!

HTH,

Registered
Discussion Starter #47
No, that is where the Sensor Linkage Bracket fixes .................

Forward Upper Wishbone, (the pic) Bush Retaining Bolt also has the Height Sensor retaining Bracket fixed to it !!

FWIW that picture is showing the Wishbone upside down to how it would be fitted on the car, so I'm talking about the Bolt that goes through the Bush just to the right of your red circle (in pic) !!

HTH,
Are you referring to these. If so, they are in place.

Registered
2005 S600
It's shown in your lower picture, he is referring to the bracket that holds the sensor itself in place. There is a little nub on the bracket that fits into the car frame/bushing mount, and it's easy to mis-align that and have a sensor that reads incorrectly because it is positioned incorrectly. Yours looks good.

Registered
Discussion Starter #49
It's shown in your lower picture, he is referring to the bracket that holds the sensor itself in place. There is a little nub on the bracket that fits into the car frame/bushing mount, and it's easy to mis-align that and have a sensor that reads incorrectly because it is positioned incorrectly. Yours looks good.
Ok, thanks, but I don't see it. Can you find a close up of what you are referring to?

Yellow is bracket for sensor.

Navy/blue is the little clip.

Registered
Discussion Starter #52
View attachment 2617030

Yellow is bracket for sensor.

Navy/blue is the little clip.
I looked under there very closely and I think I see what you are talking about in the blue area. On one side of the car these two pieces of metal are flush and even with one another on the other side they are not. On the uneven side the lower edge is out from the brace holding the sensor and the upper edge is out even further than the lower edge. Bottom edge is out about 1/16 upper edge about 1/8 to 1/4. If this is the problem. How do I adjust this? I do see a screw on the upper wishbone holding this piece in place but will loosening that, not the wishbone, allow for adjustment or is their some other way to put these two pieces even with one another?

Simply remove the entire level sensor and reinstall. See if there's something you missed.

Registered
Discussion Starter #55
Simply remove the entire level sensor and reinstall. See if there's something you missed.
** Update ** That was the problem. Whomever installed my upper wishbone missed placing the bracket correctly. Now that I have it in place its nearly 100% but not quite. Still seems to ride a bit low in the back therefor I keep the airmatic switch on. Now here's what I did. I found a level lot and measured the distance from the top of the wheel well to the center of the hub on all four tires. Where I found a height difference I loosened the brass valve on top of the struts to get the heights somewhat the same. But even in doing this I had the back a bit lower. What made me stop is I noticed one of the rubber washers sticking out a bit and said, uh oh, time to stop screwing these in and out or they'll leak and stay down. So now what I want to do is find a set of washers or some new valvles. I did find them on ebay but they are in China and I was hoping to find some in the states that would get here faster. Any idea where I can find the rubber washers and/or the complete valves that are on top of the struts.

41 - 56 of 56 Posts