Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1997 SL500 LE
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
8500K BLUE XENON 9004 HEADLIGHTS 92-97 MERCEDES BENZ SL Replacement Bulbs for are being sold on eBay at:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7974045599&fromMakeTrack=true

Has anyone here ever used them before and do you have any advice/comments?

The usual thanks . . .

·
Registered
1990 300SL, 2004 E320
82 Posts
Yes I have tried these (or similar) on a 500SEC MBZ. They looked good, though after (approx. 6 months) the blue coating on the glass (of the Xenon-like bulb) started flaking off. The right side didn't match the left side, so I replaced one. Soon after the same results. Since I had 5 of these, I just swapped them out until I ran out. Out of the 5, I bought, 2 actually burned out. I used to carry the spares in the car. I eventually went back to the standard bulbs( they last longer).

On a Porsche 911, I installed a pair. These literally exploded in the housings. I had to drive home with just the parking lights.

Some of you are thinking that I probably mishandled the bulb during installation. On the contrary, I know the results of any oils, grease on the bulb's glass surface is "verbotten". I have always been very careful.

As a result of these experiences with these "xenon" like bulbs, I have gone to the actual Xenon kit (ballasts/bulbs) on one Porsche, factory Hella Xenons on my 993 and factory Bosch Xenons on my SL.

My advice is " you get what you pay for". I got tired of the aggrevation of those fake xenon-like add ons.

You can buy it, try it and see if you like the results. You may have better luck or !?

Hz
[^]

·
Registered
SL500, ML320, E320
538 Posts
Ivory:
I bought a set on E-bay (and later found the same thing at the local Auto Zone store for much less) and put them in my `92 SL300. It was a fairly easy chore to get the windshield washer reservoir out and caps off once you learn that things are fairly hard to break by bungling.

Within a week, one side quit and I assumed I'd done something wrong and messed it up. In fact, the wires into the lamp housing had melted.

I replaced the connector from a wrecked 129, put the original lamps back into the car and was happy to be back to normal and fully functional for less than ten bucks.

I think those blue lights are cool - -but unless the folks in Germany put them in - - I'm not gonna mess with it again!

Regards-

·
Registered
91 500SL (sold), 98 E430, 98 Viper GTS, 2005 FX45
89 Posts
Don't waste your time and energy putting that crap on your car. You will be disappointed. Many years ago I put some aftermarket bulbs in and the connectors started to melt. I replaced the connectors for about 5 bucks.

I am amused that the EBAY listing uses "H.I.D." in the advertisement. When I first searched some time ago for a true HID replacement headlight with ballasts and projector type housings, I had to wade through 80 hits of internet crap in order to find the real deal.

Someone is making a lot of money off of garbage.

P.S. I have no idea why my picture is so huge (its a 57KB picture)

·
Registered
'93 SL320 & others
110 Posts
Well there's a difference in the bulbs. You can either purchase the high wattage bulbs (for a brighter glow), but then the factory sockets are probably going to melt like a few people mentioned.

I ordered a couple of sets of Euro Designz blue bulbs for my SL (headlight and dimlights) off eBay and I have been nothing but pleased for the past couple of months. However, my SL is in the garage with the rest of the toys most of the time, so maybe they burn out faster for daily drivers.

For my Expedition I bought two sets locally in the US, and sure they burned out after about a year, but that was also the daily driver. They were incredibly bright and surely noticeable when people passed (matched fine with the 22" chrome wheels too) ;)

In my humble opinion, it is a great way of "sticking out" on the road without purchasing the expensive xenon kit.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts