Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1983 300D
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have good experiences with the cheaper (autozone, oreilly) alternators? I read a lot of complaining on the net but people likely write more about negative experiences than positive ones so i'm not sure.
-v

·
Registered
1979 & 1985 300D's
2,537 Posts
On one hand, I like the idea of investing in a good alternator as it's one thing that will definitely leave you stranded...

On the other hand, I think alternators from there are both cheap and have pretty good replacement warranties so if you don't mind swapping them on occasion it could be a good deal straight money wise.

That said, have you tried replacing the voltage regulator on your current alternator? Sometimes that's enough to bring it back to life.

·
Registered
1984 300D
5,070 Posts
A bearing went bad inside of My Alternator. The Alternator had a Sticker onit; rebuilt by Bosch North America on it.
The bearings inside were made in China.

I figures what the hell and replaced the Bearings with another set of made in China Bearings I got on eBay for less than 5 Dollars.

·
Registered
1979 & 1985 300D's
2,537 Posts
I have tried replacing the regulator, no luck, so that's a $35 sunk cost.
-v
I guess pull it when you replace it, and keep it as a spare, if it fits the replacement.

·
Premium Member
W-1-2-3 Go!
16,161 Posts
Replaced the original 55A Bosch alternator on my 300D in 2006 maybe, and until now the replacement 65A Bosch alternator has been working great.

Only reason I replaced the original, was the bearing went bad. Caused the alternator fan to wobble and pulley to get out of round. Replaced pulley with new unit from MB (double belt design), new belts and all was fine from then on.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts