Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This should be up on the tech pub page but here is and advanced copy for all you 2001 ML owners. Hey, it works!! The dealership said it wouldn't but it does!! Enjoy .... [:D]

The following are some basic instructions on how to install the MB OEM V60i (Motorola) cell phone into a 2001 ML. The instructions should be the same for a 2000 (although I am not responsible if they aren’t) and are a little different for MY 2002+ ML’s. Use this pub only for advice if you are installing on anything but a MY2001. As far as I know today, you must use the Mercedes V-60 phone which is available in either TDMA or CDMA formats. We might have other info on this later … I had my phone activated by AT&T (TDMA) before I did the install.

The obvious disclaimers … don’t do this unless you are comfortable working on your vehicle. I take no responsibility for the accuracy or compatibility of this document with your vehicle. My ML is an April built 2001. I was told by the dealership several times that the phone would not sync correctly with the MCS. This is untrue for my ML but may not be for yours. I also used the latest rev of the “Auto Sense� PSE which may have corrected some previous problems.

The install is pretty straightforward. It should only take about three hours max. I have a PDF copy of the service bulletin specific to the 2001 that is available on this newly created website at, http://home.earthlink.net/~phdwebsite/ which I will keep available for awhile. Just click on the V60 link and save or print the file from there. The D2B and VES info is there as well. If you have access to the service bulletins the number is “T-I-82.64 145A�. Get the bulletin and read it completely before starting the install. The bulletin is only for MY2001 (which the MB dealership claims doesn’t exist!). If you are doing this for any other MY make sure you get the proper MB bulletin. The intent of this pub is to supplement the information provided in the MB Service Bulletin

Tools required:

MCS removal tool
Torx T15 &, T20 drivers
Drill with 3/16� & 7/32�drill bits, and a ¾� hole saw
Center punch
Wire cutters
A sharp knife for cutting the foam on the lower dash trim panel
7/16� 12 point socket for removing the front passenger seat
Loctite 242 or equivalent for reinstalling the seat bolts
Screwdrivers and ratchet … a powered screwdriver will save time.

The service bulletin refers to various WIS from Mercedes for removing and reinstalling the components during the install. They are all available from http://www.alldatadiy.com that I highly recommend joining if you are not already a member. They are also available from the MB Star Tekinfo website, http://www.startekinfo.com/StarTek/. For $20 you can get a 24hour access subscription which should give you more than enough time to download/print anything you ever wanted to know about your MB if you don’t sleep for one night. For the Tekinfo website you need Java Webstart from Sun, Whip from Autodesk, and Acrobat Reader, all available as free downloads from the Tekinfo website. Enough, here goes ….

This is a picture of all of the stuff you are going to install.

All of the part numbers (except for the phone) are on the Service bulletin. If you are buying the parts from a MB dealership they may tell you these will not work for a MY2001. Don’t listen to them …. show them the Bulletin and just tell them you want the parts, period! You need the appropriate phone (CDMA or TDMA) and three main kits from MB which are:

Vehicle core installation kit Q 682 0707 containing:
1ea PSE “Auto Sense� Q 682 0845 (note: this is the latest rev but the bulletin lists the old rev)
1ea Standard install hardware kit Q 682 0462
1ea Dual band linear compensator Q 682 0657

M-Class vehicle completion kit Q 682 0708 containing:
1ea Cable, PSE/linear comsensatotr/D2B optical Q 682 0672
1ea Bracket, linear compensator Q 682 0473
1ea Antenna switch Q 682 0652

V60 cradle short-cord kit Q 682 0724 containing:
1ea V60 cradle with short coil-cord Q 682 0770
1ea V60 holder Q 682 0768
1ea Battery insert plate Q 682 0811
1ea In-vehicle manual S-2765-02A

and you also need to order:
1ea Cable, Coaxial antenna switch to Tele Aid Q 682 0673
1ea Cable, Coaxial antenna switch to GPS splitter Q 682 0674

Remove the MCS (make sure you have your radio code for re-install), front passenger seat, glove box, center console storage box and wood panel, and the passenger side lower dash panel. Piece of cake …. especially after doing a VES install!!

The first thing to do is install the Linear Compensator to the mounting bracket as below. You use three M4 nuts included in the kits.

The compensator and bracket are mounted to a 10mm head bolt that sits to the left of the glove box opening. You need to cut the harness cable tie just above the bolt and move the harness out of the way to do this. The bracket gets mounted as below. Loosen the bolt enough to get the bracket tab behind it. It’s a little tricky getting it in place. Make sure the two tabs on the back of the bracket mate with the dash support plate to the right of the MCS opening. Use a new cable tie (supplied with the kit) to resecure the harness when you are done

You need to reach into the MCS opening and pull out the pre-wired phone harness connections. They should be just below the MCS opening and cable tied together. The bundle should look like this.

Separate out the cables and pull out the two RF cables. One should be a little longer than the other and marked with a piece of red or white tape as below. The long cable (red arrow, from the center console) gets connected to the lower RF connector labeled “Portable� on the compensator. The shorter one (blue arrow, from under the passenger seat) gets connected to the upper RF connector labeled “Antenna�. You can always ohm out the cables to verify which is which if they are unmarked.

The PSE module now needs to be mounted to the lower trim plate. The kit comes with a template. You lay the template in place and mark the foam padding as shown below.

Cut all the way though the foam padding and slowly remove the foam section as one piece. You then lay the template into the opening and mark and drill the four holes using the 3/16� drill bit. The PSE gets mounted using four M4 x 6 Torx screws and the main harness is attached as shown below.

You then need to reinstall the trim panel in place while routing the harness up toward the MCS. Be really careful with the orange optical cables. They are connected together with an optical connector. I suggest you remove the red ended cable from the connector before guiding the harness in place so you don’t kink the optical cables. One end is red, the other clear. All of the wires and both optical cables get routed into the MCS area behind the compensator except for the wire with the large green connector. That gets connected to the bottom of the compensator. There are four cable connections and the two optical connections that are made in the MCS opening. Connect the four cable connectors first. No two are alike so you can’t make a mistake here. The service bulletin instructions aren’t quite right for connecting the fiber optic cables. There is a fiber optic connector coming off the MCS connector as shown below with the arrow. Remove the red ended optical cable from the top (away from the MCS) and plug that into the connector coming off the PSE. You then plug the red ended optical cable from the PSE back into this MCS connector. The ends are keyed so they only go in one way. Don’t force them and make sure you don’t scratch the ends.

You can then reinstall all of the connectors on the back of the MCS and put it back in place taking care not to trap any of the wires or fiber optic cables in the guides. Don’t seat the MCS unit all the way yet until you try the phone and make sure it all works.

Next step is to install the Antenna Switch to the Tele Aid mounting plate. Below is a picture of it with the two RF adapters installed. It’s similar to wiring up the splitter used to do a NAV install. The instructions for wiring this in leave a bit to be desired on the bulletin so hopefully this will clear it up a bit.

This next picture shows the Tele Aid mounting plate located under the front passenger seat before mounting the phone Antenna Switch. The plate has been tilted up so you can see what’s underneath. The green arrow shows the NAV splitter. The blue arrow is the power/control connector for the switch. And the red arrow shows the antenna cable going to the Linear Compensator in the glove box area.

This next picture shows the Switch installed and wired in. You remove the magenta Hirschmann connector from the GPS splitter/amplifier located toward the right and connect that connector to the mating magenta connector coming off the Antenna switch marked with “A’s�. You then connect the corresponding Antenna connector back to the GPS splitter/amplifier marked with “B’s�. The remaining RF connector gets connected to the RF cable going to the compensator marked with “C’s�. The blue arrow shows the power/control connector in place. Don’t worry, I cleaned up the routing with some cable ties. It looks much better than this before I mounted the seat back into place.

Next step is to mount the phone cradle mounting bracket to the inside of the center console storage box. The MB instructions and template advise you to mount the holder on the left inner side near the center of the box. The holder doesn’t sit flush in this location because of the side indentations. I chose to mount mine towards the left rear to save space and allow it to sit totally flush. I did not use the MB template per the bulletin. I positioned and measured the holder then used some dividers to locate, mark, and drill the two 5mm (7/32�) holes. You mount the holder with the supplied screws and it should look like this when you are done.

This picture shows the screws that secure the cradle holder from the rear of the storage box.

You then need to drill a 19mm (3/4�) hole in the front lower corner of the box for the harness to feed thru and a 4.5mm (3/16�) hole to mount the harness. The instructions call for the holes to be mounted on the left side. I chose the right side so the coiled cable from the cradle would lay in better. When you are done it should look like this. I added the grommet to keep from losing small stuff through the hole and also protect the wires a bit more. You can see the RJ45 and antenna connector ….

This is a view from inside the storage box showing the coiled cable mounted and the wires going through the ¾� hole and grommet.

You then need to find and separate out the RF connector and RJ45 connector for the phone from the center console wiring harness. I freed up about six inches worth of cable for both. They look like this.

Feed them up into the console storage area going underneath the plastic internal braces on the center console. This is what they should look like.

You can then reinstall the wood plate and connect the RF and RJ45 connector to the phone cradle mating connections with the storage box positioned above the opening. Slide the storage box back in to place and attach the two screws. Make sure the two wires route away from the mounting screw area. Install the phone into the cradle as shown here.

Then you can mount the cradle into the holder like this.

Put everything back together and turn the ignition on. The MCS will ask for the unlock code and you enter it. If you don’t have it you need to call the dealership to get it. When you press the “TEL� button on the MCS you should get something that looks like this.

If you have already loaded some numbers into the phone, the MCS reads those into its own memory. If you try and search by Name or Number before the info downloads you will get a screen that says “Processing� until it completes the download. It hasn’t taken any longer than about 15 seconds for me so far but I only have about 30 numbers in the phone right now.

NOTE: The Service Bulletin gives info on the D2B optical ring and its proper configuration. It says to connect the SDS (Star Diagnosis) computer to the vehicle (a $25,000 laptop and software from IBM) and set and verify the proper D2B configuration. This is not required to operate the phone, or anything in the D2B network, but is required for proper identification and tracking of diagnostic codes when there is a problem or error. If something goes wrong the DTC info may/will be incorrect until this is done. I just got my steering hose clamp recall in the mail so I will have the service person do this for me at the same time as the recall fix. They said it only takes about five minutes to set and verify the config. The service person I talked to admitted to me they don’t always do this on installs but will correct it if there are problems later!!

That’s it. If you have any questions let me know.
Paul

·
Registered
464 Posts
Very Impressive....

Good Job.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you ....

It was about a 2 1/2 hour install, but it took me about 20 hours getting all the info together and verifying this would really work on a MY2001. The parts department and my SA were very uncooperative. The service manager and one of his employees proved invaluable and were a great source of info as they were for the VES install.

I hate my SA!!
[:(!]

·
Registered
550 Posts
Thanks

Interesting and informative post. I've been wondering what it would take to install the phone in my 2001. The dealer wants about $2000.

What do the parts cost if I already have an AT&T TDMA V60?

·
Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Re: Thanks ... and your welcome ....

Interesting and informative post. I've been wondering what it would take to install the phone in my 2001. The dealer wants about $2000.

What do the parts cost if I already have an AT&T TDMA V60?

Thanks for the compliment. As far as I know today you can not use anything but the MB OEM V60i. The list price for the entire kit is $1625 in the Bay Area. The phone is $595 by itself. They charge $375 for the install. I know what the dealer price is for the parts and they don’t make as much as I would have thought. They make almost twice as much on the install labor. I paid significantly less for the parts but my deal was a one time thing for some specific issues relating to the local dealer.

We are going to try a software download of my phone to see if the MB specific code can be copied to another phone. Some discussions I had with a knowledgeable AT&T tech makes me believe this will not work because the firmware is different, but we will try anyway and let folks know what we find.

Paul

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Great job Paul! Has anyone heard anything about the universal adapter?........

I thought it was suppose to come out this month.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Has anyone heard anything about the universal adapter?........

I thought it was suppose to come out this month.
I think the UHI is only going to be available for GSM phones on a Command system, not MCS. It is already available in Europe (Handy-Vorrustung Universal) on several models including the M-Klasse for about 550 Euros w/o phone. It may not be available here for another year or so and won't be retrofittable to earlier models AFAIK. It's supposed to work with several Motorola, Siemens, and Nokia phones. The console is made by Kuda and looks like this ....

Paul

·
Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Re: Is it an MB OEM part or aftermarket?...

Is it an MB OEM part or aftermarket?
MB OEM ... Kinda of like the VES ... Kuda makes them already as an aftermarket add-on. The OEM one is better integrated AFAIK and ties in to the Command System. Not positive on the form factor but I beleive it will be external like the picture.

Paul

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
About this Discussion
9 Replies
6 Participants
paulhdick
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing