Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
300SD
11,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Mercedes no longer offers the original style power antenna for the 123 sedans. The replacement direct fit Hirschmann antenna is part number 921504412. This antenna replaces the following OEM 3 antennas:

201 820 01 75

201 820 01 75 80

201 820 01 75 88

81-85 123 chassis sedans have the 201 820 01 75 OEM antenna, model AUTA 6000EL

Has anybody installed this antenna? Is it a good antenna? The antenna kit (DRP-5 kit) comes with accessory pack for different cars. For the 123 chassis sedans, it includes bracket adaptors, antenna tube spacer, and new connector pins, plus harness connector.
The instructions require that you take apart the six pin antenna harness connector, cut the pins off the wires, and solder three new pins on and insert into the new connector. Will this new antenna operate with the original antenna switch? I cannot figure out why they could not fabricate a simple plug in adapter to eliminate having to cut old pins and solder new ones on and modify the harness. Some engineering this is.

·
Administratoris Emeritus
2024 SL770
46,465 Posts
Don't do it -- it's a PIA. Just buy a universal Hirschmann (2040). It's inexpensive, at least as reliable as the OE, and it's a pretty easy install.

·
Registered
300SD
11,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Why is the universal Hirschmann antenna better? Can you use the original bracket/plug with it?

·
Administratoris Emeritus
2024 SL770
46,465 Posts
No, you cut the plug off to wire it direct. It comes with its own universal bracket. The antenna is no more than half the price of the one you're considering, and an easier install. The 2040 also features a replaceable mast.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Just repair your OE antenna! I struggled with this delima too, raiding junkyards and shopping for replacements, all with little luck. Then was referred to a gentleman in Burbank, CA (from someone on this board I think, thanks!!) and he fixed my stock antenna, good as new! For reference, my antenna is a 6000u and the telescope was replaced ... luckily I'm close so dropped off/picked up and he took about 24 hours, total cost was $140 ... not cheap, but stock and right!

Walter Odemer
Burbank, CA 91506

Good luck,
Carl

·
Registered
1982 300CD
5,161 Posts
The PO of my gold car had a new antenna installed, but never had it hooked up. I bought a plug adapter for it for $35, and it works perfectly, even stops at half way according to button position. If you rewire it direct, you lose the half-mast functionality.

·
Administratoris Emeritus
2024 SL770
46,465 Posts
Yes, you do lose the half mast thing, I've really never understood the value of that to start with...

·
Registered
300SD
11,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Gregs300CD said:
The PO of my gold car had a new antenna installed, but never had it hooked up. I bought a plug adapter for it for $35, and it works perfectly, even stops at half way according to button position. If you rewire it direct, you lose the half-mast functionality.
What plug adapter and who sells it?

·
Registered
1982 300CD
5,161 Posts
It connects the "universal" antenna's wires to the Mercedes 6-hole plug.
Antennaworld.com sold mine to me. I tried to look for it on the website, but can't find it now. Maybe you need to send them an e-mail and ask about it.

I found a picure of it! Here you go.

Attachments

·
Administratoris Emeritus
2024 SL770
46,465 Posts
Gregs300CD said:
It connects the "universal" antenna's wires to the Mercedes 6-hole plug.
Antennaworld.com sold mine to me. I tried to look for it on the website, but can't find it now. Maybe you need to send them an e-mail and ask about it.

I found a picure of it! Here you go.
I had never heard of that before. That's really pretty slick.

·
Registered
300SD
11,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Gregs300CD said:
Here's a guy in California who fixes them.
Probably the guy you were talking about.

index
I called him today and he wanted $ 85 for the antenna top fitting!!!!!:mad:
(if he could even get it). This part cannot retail for more than $ 20 in my opinion.

Tomorrow I will probably pick up another used antenna with a good fitting for about $ 30 in the local wrecking yard and that's that.

·
Registered
300SD
11,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Update:

I got a broken 6000EL antenna with a good upper fitting from the local junkyard today. Ironically, the antenna came out of an Euro 500SEL sedan. They also had an early 80's 300D turbo sedan, but it had a completely different antenna in it (AUTA 6000U). Go figure.

Anyway, I got the antenna for $ 15 plus tax. removed the broken mast and fitting, put fitting on my old original antenna, mounted the antenna, and fed the new mast into it. Took a few tries, but it got in and everything works as it should. The new mast is from autohausaz.com and cost only $ 14 and change.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts