Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

281 - 287 of 287 Posts

·
Registered
'99 SL 500 Sport
5 Posts
So I've gotten 2 different answers on installing the Continental TR7412UB-OR - in my 99 SL500. The people at ECS Tuning tell me it's not compatible, but the folks at Caraudio24.de tell me it will work, with a inexpensive adapter. The radio is only 100 euros, which is much less expensive than other posters have said that they paid, so I want to make sure that I'm getting the right unit. Also, I understand that the electrical system changed for the 99's, so this is not as easy as installing in an earlier model. I've just inherited the car and am trying to upgrade a few things, so any advice is greatly appreciated. Thx.

·
Registered
1999 R129 SL500
12 Posts
So I've gotten 2 different answers on installing the Continental TR7412UB-OR - in my 99 SL500. The people at ECS Tuning tell me it's not compatible, but the folks at Caraudio24.de tell me it will work, with a inexpensive adapter. The radio is only 100 euros, which is much less expensive than other posters have said that they paid, so I want to make sure that I'm getting the right unit. Also, I understand that the electrical system changed for the 99's, so this is not as easy as installing in an earlier model. I've just inherited the car and am trying to upgrade a few things, so any advice is greatly appreciated. Thx.
I have been using it in my SL for just over two years. Cheap buttons aside (ask me how I know), it's a great unit that's pairs well with the 8-speaker BOSE unit + Subwoofer. Installation took me 2 minutes and it was plug and play. You'll notice there will be one bundle of wires that just won't plug in anywhere behind the Continental TR7412UB-OR - that's for the CD changer. Since you don't need it, you can leave it unplugged behind the stereo.

That's my experience. Very easy installation. No adapter for hooking up.

·
Registered
'99 SL 500 Sport
5 Posts
I have been using it in my SL for just over two years. Cheap buttons aside (ask me how I know), it's a great unit that's pairs well with the 8-speaker BOSE unit + Subwoofer. Installation took me 2 minutes and it was plug and play. You'll notice there will be one bundle of wires that just won't plug in anywhere behind the Continental TR7412UB-OR - that's for the CD changer. Since you don't need it, you can leave it unplugged behind the stereo.

That's my experience. Very easy installation. No adapter for hooking up.
Are you able to stream music via bluetooth? What are you using for a mic? And how do you know that the buttons are cheap. Thx.

·
Registered
1991 500SL; 2014 GLK250 BlueTEC
87 Posts
I installed one in my '91, and it works well, including Bluetooth that pairs easily to my Google Pixel 3 phone for music and podcasts, as well as Google Maps navigation. My car has an original mike, but I couldn't find where the wire led to, so I used the one that came with the unit.

·
Registered
'99 SL 500 Sport
5 Posts
I installed one in my '91, and it works well, including Bluetooth that pairs easily to my Google Pixel 3 phone for music and podcasts, as well as Google Maps navigation. My car has an original mike, but I couldn't find where the wire led to, so I used the one that came with the unit.
Is the electrical system the same on the '91 and '99?

·
Registered
1991 500SL; 2014 GLK250 BlueTEC
87 Posts
Is the electrical system the same on the '91 and '99?
I don't think so, therefore you should refer to what an earlier poster with a '99 SL wrote - it took him a couple of minutes?

My wires were already hacked up as the P.O. installed a later-model stereo, so I had to figure out which wire did what, and wire them all properly to the new unit.

·
Registered
1999 R129 SL500
12 Posts
Are you able to stream music via bluetooth? What are you using for a mic? And how do you know that the buttons are cheap. Thx.
Yes, I'm always streaming VIA bluetooth, using the mic built into the Continental - I could have plugged my in-car mic but I read that the Continental mic is good enough.

And buttons are cheap because one fell off. Good luck getting in touch with anyone at Continental if you have a problem - you will literally not hear back from them.

281 - 287 of 287 Posts