Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

261 - 280 of 291 Posts

·
Registered
97 SL500, 98 E320 Wagon, 2002 ML500 - former W108/W112/W114/W123/W124/W126/W140/W220
6,244 Posts
R129's do not have control buttons on the steering wheel.
But his 02 CLK does.

And no, they will not work with the CANBUS controls in the later models. There might be some sort of third party interface out there, as I know there are for other models of radios.

Dan

·
Registered
2002 SL500 Silver Arrow
610 Posts
Re post 255, ceta4zng, if you have fewer than a few dozen cassettes that you want to salvage, I suggest that you might consider transferring them to mp3.
Thanks - but I upgraded to a Kenwood with USB (I have a 64g thumb in there), Bluetooth, aux, the whole 9. I am in the process of putting digital music BACK on cassette because that is how I listened when I started driving as a teen in the 80s. Something about listening to 'Side 1' and having the cassette auto-reverse to 'Side 2' and then back again indefinitely makes me happy. Me and my friends would always have those 'what is the best side 2, song 1 of any album?' discussions. Just not as much fun with digital 1-15 running order.

As far as I can tell, the conti does not have a cassette deck, correct?

·
Registered
1997 SL500 - VIN WDBFA67F8VF151031 and 2011 E350
70 Posts
Probably not, nor 8-track or a glove-box 45 RPM record player like Plymouth offered as an option in 1956. And I used to have a 1941 Chevy that had vacuum assist on the gearshift lever, but I don't miss it.

·
Registered
2001 SL 500, 2018 Cadillac XT5, 2013 Honda F6B
10 Posts
and I agree also. in many cases you can use a small flat bladed screwdriver like those in eyeglass repair kits to push in the retention tang and pull out the pin.

Or a good auto parts store often has a small toolkit that has the pin removers for several common pins.

I've found I can remove about 90% of the pins from housings with simple tools.

One trick is to push on the screwdriver tip as you also push the pin inwards as if your installing it, that way the tang can move all the way out of the way, THEN try pulling the pin out. Don't try to pull on the pin wire as you push on the screwdriver. you want to release the pin first, then remove.
So thanks to this forum I was able to buy and install a Continental Radio in my 01 Sl-500 yesterday, And as others have noticed the USB port restarted on the first song after restarting the car. Switching the wires in the harness was fairly easy. I simply inserted a sewing needle into the plug on the plug side and wiggled the 2 male plugs out and swapped them. The only things you need to remember are which wire went to which plug slot and to rebend the retainer tang before reinserting the male posts into the plug. So far the radio seems to be superior to the factory one in every way.

Attachments

·
Registered
1991 500SL; 2014 GLK250 BlueTEC
87 Posts
1991 500SL Conti Install

Today was a good day - I successfully installed the Conti in my 1991 500SL. Everything seems to be working properly.

I bought the car last year with an old tape-decked Alpine unit installed (with CD), and I wanted it out of there after discovering the Conti on these pages, which handles bluetooth and more aesthetically pleasing.

My car's OEM unit should've been a Becker Grand Prix 1432, according to the Black Forest Becker Radio history page.

The Conti was purchased via eBay Germany, and arrived within two weeks (ECS Tuning now sells it as well). As the Alpine had a non-ISO connector, I had to source the correct ISO connectors to fit the Conti, from Amazon.

INSTALLATION:

Here are the wiring connections:

Battery (constant power): Car (Red/White) to Conti/ISO (Red)
Ignition (switched power): Car (Blue/Black) to Conti/ISO (Yellow)
Ground: Car (Brown) to Conti/ISO (Black)
Antenna: Car (Blue) to Conti/ISO (Blue)
Illumination: Car (Grey/Purple x 2) to Conti/ISO (Orange)

Speaker wiring colors are the same for both Car and Conti/ISO.

The Conti does not use the car's existing amp, so it doesn't have an "amp" connection (Blue/White on car). The only other port is that for the antenna, which also comes with a modern smaller-apertured adapter - this can be pulled out of the Conti unit to expose a larger diam. socket, into which my existing antenna male plug fit.

I ran the included MIC and sticky-padded it to the lower side of my instrument cluster, to the left of the center console.

WIth everything plugged in, the Conti (the unit sitting in its aluminum chassis) slid nicely and snuggly into the corresponding slot in the car.

By the way, I used Posi-Products wire connectors, which made the job much easier.

SOME OBSERVATIONS:

The radio looks great in the center console; it looks period-correct in the daytime, and the yellow display lighting at night matches my center console and instrument panel lights nicely. 5-stars here.

Bluetooth was easy to set up for my Nexus 5 Android phone. The phone's Bluetooth detected the radio right away, and the pairing code that worked was “1234”.

The music sound quality is quite good, with the Conti's internal amp able to drive the stock speakers well enough for casual listening. The Conti has an adjustable equalizer, but I found its presets for "Pop", "Classical", "Rock", and "Jazz" more user-friendly. I chose "Rock".

When dialing a call from my phone, the text “Dialing…” appeared on the Conti’s display panel. The call connected without drama, and I could hear my wife on the other end through the speakers, though her voice volume was a bit low; I didn’t get a chance to adjust with the volume knob as I was busy driving. Also, my wife claimed that she couldn’t hear me too well, and this was after I had turned off the climate control unit to cut down on ambient noise; I may have to move the microphone higher and closer to my head. I don’t think that the “built-in” mike will cut it, where it’s currently situated.

Radio comes on/off when I turn the engine on/off - perfect. When the radio turns on, the antenna automatically rises (even in Bluetooth mode), and drops when the radio is turned off. When I turn off the radio in BT mode, it retains the BT mode next time I turn it back on.

Aside from a possible phone-volume issue, I’m quite satisfied with the Conti - it does everything that I ask it to, and more.

·
One of the BW Old Guard/R129, W204 Moderator
1997 SL500- 40th Anniversary
7,156 Posts
Microphone

Well, I got antsy today, and thought I'd investigate using the MB microphone with my continental 7412. Removing the cluster, climate controls, and radio are easy enough. False panel in glove box also removes easily. There it was... the microphone cable. Dammit; however, the male end is 2.5mm and the continental adapter is 3.5 mm female.
a quick search on Ebay, and adapter is on the way...
I'll update later if it seems to improve things. While the radio mic appears to function fine, it does suffer a bit when top is down. I don't expect the MB mic to be any better, but we'll see...

·
7,156 Posts
That function is lost. But, of course, you will have more music on your phone or mp3 player than you can put in that thing anyway.
This is true for sure. Removed mine and put in the box with old Becker for the next guy. Used one of the wires to switch antenna separately from amp so I could play 7412 with or without antenna deployment as desired/needed.

·
7,156 Posts
My issue with the aftermarket radios is the loss of the CD. I have put one in my SL500 and SL320 and the MP3 does not have the quality of sound that the CD produces.
hmmm... I agree .mp3 has lower quality, but many of the recording attributes can be changed for higher quality. It has never been a problem for me in an automobile, and I doubt my old fart ears can tell in a home audio situation when the bit rate and sample rate are on the high end... many are "distributed" with a bit rate of 96kbps and a low sample rate (around 44khz)... At around 320kbps, and a sample rate of 96kHz, there is a distinct difference. Of course, the files get kinda large :)

·
Registered
1992 500SL 129.066
70 Posts
Hello Pathung,

one question. Waht will you do with your VECKER 1432?

Do it work properly?

If you want to sell it,please let me know ( private message)

Best Regards.

Luis

·
Registered
2001 SL 500, 2018 Cadillac XT5, 2013 Honda F6B
10 Posts
radio mic help

For the life of me I just can not figure out how to turn the internal mic on, Otherwise the Bluetooth works fine. I can hear the caller but they just can't hear me.
Any help out there?

·
Moderately subtle
94 E500, 97 500SL
12,153 Posts
My issue with the aftermarket radios is the loss of the CD. I have put one in my SL500 and SL320 and the MP3 does not have the quality of sound that the CD produces.
Sample rate has to be too low if that's the case, not sure where your files are coming from. I sampled the CD's I had at 192kbps, and can tell no difference. Kudos for having the sort of ears to discern something like that, not sure how many folks driving around 20-30+ year old cars can claim that.

·
Registered
94 SL320 98 SL500 99 SL600
942 Posts
Sample rate has to be too low if that's the case, not sure where your files are coming from. I sampled the CD's I had at 192kbps, and can tell no difference. Kudos for having the sort of ears to discern something like that, not sure how many folks driving around 20-30+ year old cars can claim that.
I put AIFF files on my iPod and iPhone and still the CD's sound better to me, Maybe it has to do with the source device connected to the Bose system.

·
7,156 Posts
Well, I got antsy today, and thought I'd investigate using the MB microphone with my continental 7412...I'll update later if it seems to improve things...
I received my 2.5mm female to 3.5mm male adapter today and let me say this was a project worth doing. At rest, top down, the voice quality is very clear. I called my home and left a message. When retrieved, it sounded much clearer than the little mic built into the face of the conti. In a live phone call, I was told there wasn't an indication I was "hands-free". On the road hasn't been tested yet, and I don't really expect much. Besides, when I'm driving, the phone is the last detail I pay attention to.

oh, and SIRI worked much better...

I am pleased with the results.

·
7,156 Posts
Aside from a possible phone-volume issue, I’m quite satisfied with the Conti - it does everything that I ask it to, and more.

You may be aware, but if not, the Blue tooth volume is separately adjustable...

261 - 280 of 291 Posts