Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

241 - 260 of 291 Posts

·
Registered
1992 R129
24 Posts
Hello. I realize this post is old, but as usual this forum is one of the very few places for any information at all on a multitude of topics concerning our cars... not always accurate, but something (even an email to Becker regarding radios was utterly useless). What year r129 did you install the TR7412UB-OR into? My 92 r129 has the receiver in the trunk and the amp under the passenger seat. Crutchfield sent the wrong wiring harness twice, telling me I can use any aftermarket deck with their harness (Crutchfield has actually never provided correct information even once about any MB I've owned). After giving up on their solution, and selling the Alpine I had bought for the car I decided to send the current deck to Becker to have an Aux In added. After my email exchange with them I don't think I'd trust them with anything. I'd love to pick up an TR7412UB-OR if it will give me modern audio options. Cheers.
Did you get this sorted out? We have the same vehicle. I just ordered the Continental. Thanks!

·
Registered
1997 SL500 - VIN WDBFA67F8VF151031 and 2011 E350
70 Posts
The Continental works well for a 97 SL500. The car originally had the CD changer in the trunk. No amp in the trunk. My amp is on top of the subwoofer underneath the driver side shelf behind the left seat. I am not prepared to advise re. other configurations. As Pazo mentioned, there does not appear to be an option to auto-increase volume with speed or ambient effects. When I travel at 75 mph with the top down, I have to turn up the volume, but I still have plenty of amp power to turn the volume up even further.

Perhaps the following user manual link on my website will be useful for prospective buyers.

http://sbranch.org/pdf/Conti TR7412UB-OR-Owners-Manual.pdf

·
Registered
500SL ('93), C200 ('14), MGB Rdstr ('65)
152 Posts
Well jasonforman, as you too have noticed, it is hard to find DIY guidance to hook a modern head unit into an old Mercedes two-piece setup. You will need ISO connectors for the new HU and connect old Becker wiring into them.

I'd go to a professional and try find a solution to retain the old unit's wiring; the original audio as an option will boost your car's collector value. Your speaker wires start from amplifier in trunk and you probably have a bass amplifier in the passenger foot well. Try find a shop that has experience with these old cars. Possibly the best option is to leave old wiring intact and draw new speaker wires all the way from HU to both doors.

FYI I seriously considered the Continental myself but so far have stuck to a period-correct Becker. However, I acquired an "invisible" digital CDC so that my HU is fooled to think the original CD changer is still in the trunk. My Yatour digital CDC is capable to play up to 4GB Mp3/WMA music :smile I do not recognise a need for BT or HF phone myself but your new Continental will have both.

Good luck!

·
Premium Member
97 E-420 (180K miles), 97 SL500, (93K miles) 2015 GMC Sierra Denali 2500HD CC/SB/4x4 Duramax(55K)
4,194 Posts
No, loudness on/off is not automatic vol control
correct. loudness is to try to make the frequency response match the fletcher-munson curves for hearing. (equal loudness over a wide frequency range) the ear is not a linear device, suprise, and at low volumes low frequencies aren't percieved to be as loud as higher frequencies.
So the loudness function tries to make the apparent frequency response be flat.

The Fletcher Munson Curve is a graph that illustrates an interesting phenomenon of human hearing.

When listening to music

As the actual loudness changes, the perceived loudness our brains hear will change at a different rate, depending on the frequency.

Here’s what I mean:

At low listening volumes – mid range frequencies sound more prominent, while the low and high frequency ranges seem to fall into the background.
At high listening volumes – the lows and highs sound more prominent, while the mid range seems comparatively softer.

·
Registered
Coming soon 1997 SL500
15 Posts
OK, just read through all 25 pages of this thread...I have some questions/confirmations based on what I read.

This is for a 97 R129 with the stock Bose set-up;

Confirmations;

1) It appears that the CD changer in the trunk does not work with this new unit. I did not read any comments that implied that was not the case. Is this true for all of the the Conti models?

2) It appears that folks are happy with the voice reception of the Mic in the faceplate and therefore have not been connecting the MB factory Mic to the unit. Has anyone had better experience with the factory Mic and think it is better to use it?

3) You need to reverse the A4 and A7 adapter cables but other than that change it should be plug and play.

4) Bluetooth connection seems to work well and playing media via bluetooth also seems to work well. Generally I did not see any bluetooth complaints.

Questions;

5) playing MP3s via the USB input I gather works OK but navigation is difficult. Has anyone tried connecting an iPod to the Aux input on the front faceplate? If so, is the sound quality OK? Did you use 30 PIN to Aux adapter OR us headphone jack to Aux adapter? I assume if you do this you still navigate songs via the iPod interface?

6) I did not see too many who looked like the purchased the CD unit, but for any that did have you burned MP3s to CD and played them that way? How was the interface through the playlists, etc? Better or worse than USB?

7) When using Bluetooth for phone calls, if you are connected to the unit can you just use your phone to initiate phone calls so you don't have to mess with the clunky interface? I assume once the call is initiated it will just audio via the bluetooth automatically.

8) Regardless of model, for the R129 cars we should order a 12V unit not 24V, correct?

9) I never saw a response to the question if anyone has been able to use a USB drive larger than that 8GB max size that they specify.

Thanks again to all who have shared their experiences. This information has been super helpful.

·
One of the BW Old Guard/R129, W204 Moderator
1997 SL500- 40th Anniversary
7,156 Posts
OK, just read through all 25 pages of this thread...I have some questions/confirmations based on what I read.

This is for a 97 R129 with the stock Bose set-up;

Confirmations;

1) It appears that the CD changer in the trunk does not work with this new unit. I did not read any comments that implied that was not the case. Is this true for all of the the Conti models? Yes, to the best of my knowledge

2) It appears that folks are happy with the voice reception of the Mic in the faceplate and therefore have not been connecting the MB factory Mic to the unit. Has anyone had better experience with the factory Mic and think it is better to use it? Don't know...

3) You need to reverse the A4 and A7 adapter cables but other than that change it should be plug and play. Exactly, If i recall numbers correctly.

4) Bluetooth connection seems to work well and playing media via bluetooth also seems to work well. Generally I did not see any bluetooth complaints.
None Here

Questions;

5) playing MP3s via the USB input I gather works OK but navigation is difficult. Has anyone tried connecting an iPod to the Aux input on the front faceplate? If so, is the sound quality OK? Did you use 30 PIN to Aux adapter OR us headphone jack to Aux adapter? I assume if you do this you still navigate songs via the iPod interface? I tried USB to IPOD... Got Bupkis!

6) I did not see too many who looked like the purchased the CD unit, but for any that did have you burned MP3s to CD and played them that way? How was the interface through the playlists, etc? Better or worse than USB? No CD for me

7) When using Bluetooth for phone calls, if you are connected to the unit can you just use your phone to initiate phone calls so you don't have to mess with the clunky interface? I assume once the call is initiated it will just audio via the bluetooth automatically. Can initiate by phone. Apple SIRI works good

8) Regardless of model, for the R129 cars we should order a 12V unit not 24V, correct? Correct

9) I never saw a response to the question if anyone has been able to use a USB drive larger than that 8GB max size that they specify. Haven't tried, so no idea

Thanks again to all who have shared their experiences. This information has been super helpful.
See RED above... Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1987 560SL, 1998 SL500
464 Posts
I agree with all of Ears answers. I have uses an iPod in the aux port 1/8" to 1/8" cable works well, and navigate thru the iPod. Another new bonus for me anyway, is that my new subscription for Sirius satellite radio added streaming of all channels for $5.00 per month. I have it in my modern cars, and now can have it in my older cars. I never spent money better than this radio upgrade.

·
Registered
2002 ml320 for sale 1994 E500 current 1993 500sl current 2002 e55 Sold 1967 250s Sold
55 Posts
I agree with all of Ears answers. I have uses an iPod in the aux port 1/8" to 1/8" cable works well, and navigate thru the iPod. Another new bonus for me anyway, is that my new subscription for Sirius satellite radio added streaming of all channels for $5.00 per month. I have it in my modern cars, and now can have it in my older cars. I never spent money better than this radio upgrade.

Im trying to upgrade my factory radio in my wifes 1993 500sl to an alpine can anyone tell me which wiring harness I need to buy and where I can buy it. Thank you sorry to go off topic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1992 R129
24 Posts
I did not make it work. I brought it to two different stereo installation places and it would have been 800-900 to put in.

I found an AMAZING option though. There is a place called Creative Car Audio Shop in Southern CA https://creativecaraudioshop.com/

And they were able to install a bluetooth unit into my receiver. Since it's quite far back, I need to keep my phone closer to the trunk. It's a small shop and very cool fella running it, I forgot his name unfortunately. I can find if anyone wants. He wasn't completely happy that the bluetooth didn't reach all the way to the front, so he's offered to tinker. I love people like that... I would have actually been happy with the solution even though it wasn't perfect, but he really cares to get it right.

This cost me $200 bucks and I get to keep my original stereo.

Now I just need to return my Continental.

Thanks for all the help! I can give anyone more info on the above mentioned car shop if they want.

Best,
JF

·
Registered
2002 SL500 Silver Arrow
610 Posts
I really want to put my stock head unit back in because it has a cassette deck - and I finally found a tape to tape cassette recorder. GROM has a unit that works for my son's Volvo that enables bluetooth, USB and aux running off the CD changer output - but nothing for the R129. But I don't want to give up bluetooth calls for cassette.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I did not make it work. I brought it to two different stereo installation places and it would have been 800-900 to put in.

I found an AMAZING option though. There is a place called Creative Car Audio Shop in Southern CA https://creativecaraudioshop.com/

And they were able to install a bluetooth unit into my receiver. Since it's quite far back, I need to keep my phone closer to the trunk. It's a small shop and very cool fella running it, I forgot his name unfortunately. I can find if anyone wants. He wasn't completely happy that the bluetooth didn't reach all the way to the front, so he's offered to tinker. I love people like that... I would have actually been happy with the solution even though it wasn't perfect, but he really cares to get it right.

This cost me $200 bucks and I get to keep my original stereo.

Now I just need to return my Continental.

Thanks for all the help! I can give anyone more info on the above mentioned car shop if they want.

Best,
JF
@jasonforman
Did you return the Conti yet? I could be interested in buying from you.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1997 SL500 - VIN WDBFA67F8VF151031 and 2011 E350
70 Posts
Re post 255, ceta4zng, if you have fewer than a few dozen cassettes that you want to salvage, I suggest that you might consider transferring them to mp3. Then you can use the Conti and access all of them through a low-profile USB stick. I now have approx 500 tracks (i.e. 50 CDS or cassettes) on my Conti, in addition to a separate selectable input for my XM radio, and bluetooth. Your car is even newer than my 97 SL500, so it should be a slam-dunk to install the Conti. The installation on my 97 SL500 was very straightforward. Be sure to swap the A4 and A7 wires so the radio turns on with the ignition (Use two simple crimp connectors). The sensitivity of my new radio is far superior to that of the OEM Alpine that I replaced. My CD player was already broken when I bought the car, and I had no need for a cassette player. So for me it was a no-brainer to go for the Conti. If you need more than 500 tracks, you will need to exchange multiple thumb drives. Even though you can put more than 500 tracks on one USB drive, the Conti can only manage about 500 from one USB drive.

·
Registered
2002 CLK55 AMG, 2014 GLK250
223 Posts
Sorry to hijack this thread but I am thinking of installing one of these in an '02 CLK55 and wonder if the volume buttons still work on the steering wheel.

·
Registered
2002 SL500 Silver Arrow (Sold May 2019 after 11 1/2 years)
198 Posts
Sorry to hijack this thread but I am thinking of installing one of these in an '02 CLK55 and wonder if the volume buttons still work on the steering wheel.
R129's do not have control buttons on the steering wheel.

241 - 260 of 291 Posts