Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just taken delivery of a 2002 CLK430 and already own a Morotola v60 phone. Can I use my exisiting phone? If so where can I get the parts (other than my dealer) and installation instructions.<br> <br> Thanks<br> <br> Rob

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I have the same issue, have you found a solution? My car is pre-wired but from what I have heard if it isn't a phone from Benz it won't work.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You're both correct. I'm an agent for Motorola who supports cellular phones. To get your v60 phone to work with your car, you will need the Mercedes install kit and you will need a Mercedes enhanced v60 phone. The mercedes phone differs from the non-Mercedes v60 phone due to software loaded into the phone to Mercedes specifications. So, if you don't have a Mercedes version phone, you would lose connectivity through the Mercedes car phone system (e.g. phone features such as radio controls and steering wheel controls that operation the phone, etc.)

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Motorola Guy: I have a timeport from Mercedes in my E-320 and just purchased an Ml 500 for my wife.<br> Do you know if I can get a wiring harness for the Ml that will enable me to take the time port from the E-320 and use it in the Ml-500. Thanks for your input....Bill (PS the dealer wanted $1022.00<br> just for the harness and plastic holder that goes in the consol.)

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
To: Motorola Guy<br> <br> Have 2000 Mercedes S500 with OEM Motorola Star Tech cellular phone. Using Cingular for my service. Called Cingular about changing my plan to cheaper one& they told me they show my phone is anaolog and they do not offer any more plans for anaolog & that I am stuck with plan I have now.<br> I talked to a parts man at local Mercedes. He seemed to know a lot about unit and said no retro fit available & can not use v60 for 2000 model.<br> Are you aware if there is a way to change it to digital?<br> Thanks,<br> Mike

·
Registered
2003 E500, 2006 M500
6 Posts
To Bill

You should be able to replace your timeport harness in your E320 with a new V60 for around 200. I am not usure about going the other way

·
Registered
CLK55/G500/E55/ML55/etc.
1,242 Posts
Re: Re: OEM Kit for Motorloa v60

To: Motorola Guy<br> <br> Have 2000 Mercedes S500 with OEM Motorola Star Tech cellular phone. Using Cingular for my service. Called Cingular about changing my plan to cheaper one& they told me they show my phone is anaolog and they do not offer any more plans for anaolog & that I am stuck with plan I have now.<br> I talked to a parts man at local Mercedes. He seemed to know a lot about unit and said no retro fit available & can not use v60 for 2000 model.<br> Are you aware if there is a way to change it to digital?<br> Thanks,<br> Mike
You can just buy the kit for a newer car and plug it in. It will fully work. I suggest replacing the bumper antenna as well, this will upgrade the antenna to a dual-band.

I have retrofit a Nokia 6310i phone (works with Cingular, AT&T, T-Mobile) to a MY 2000 S430 with no problems. It replaced a malfunctioning StarTac system.

-s-

edit: whoa, i just noticed this is one of those "resurrected from the dead" posts... i hate when i reply to those.

·
Registered
86 560SEL
1,324 Posts
scorchie, did you do it yourself or had someone did it for you? As you might have seen i...

scorchie, did you do it yourself or had someone did it for you? As you might have seen in the other forum, I was looking for Steve and supposed to meet him tomorrow. but he replied today saying he was behind and wouldn't be in Philly tomorrow. And would have to wait till later of the day to see how things go.

As for Nokia phone, I have a 6340i. Do you think it would work with the kit? And can I just switch the SIM card to a 6310i and use it?

·
Registered
CLK55/G500/E55/ML55/etc.
1,242 Posts
I did the install in the S430, although Steve was around. Steve and myself together did m...

I did the install in the S430, although Steve was around. Steve and myself together did my C43 and CLK55; we've done a lot of other vehicles together including CLK320, another CLK55, and so on.

For the Nokia phone, the 6340i will not work, as the kit works with GSM phones (the 6340i is a GATE phone... yes it works with GSM, but it is not a GSM phone). You can remove the SIM from the 6340i and put it into the 6310i though.

Hopefully you'll get set up!

-s-

·
Registered
86 560SEL
1,324 Posts
Rest assure, I got a 6310i from eBay and it has been shipped today. So, the issue with th...

Rest assure, I got a 6310i from eBay and it has been shipped today. So, the issue with the phone is a problem anymore. However, I will have to change the complete carkit or just the craddle on the other car to use the same phone. What do you think? Was it a pain to locate the wirings on the W140?

·
Registered
CLK55/G500/E55/ML55/etc.
1,242 Posts
Actually, it was a W220 S-class. The only W140 that would be easy to install the phone ...

Actually, it was a W220 S-class. The only W140 that would be easy to install the phone on is a 1999. Anything earlier than that has the wrong cables and needs to be completely rewired. I'm in the process of sourcing some parts to make these cables, because the OEM ones are in the neighborhood of $500!

-s-

·
Registered
86 560SEL
1,324 Posts
I already got a fiber optic cable for the Audio 10 headunit to the CD and one to the phone...

I already got a fiber optic cable for the Audio 10 headunit to the CD and one to the phone kit. I think I got everything I need except the phone kit.

·
Registered
2000 SL600
14 Posts
V60 Phone Install/Upgrade in StarTac equipped MB

F Y I -- the V60 series of phones has a completely different interface box and interface technology as compared to StarTac. The two are totally incompatible. I had the StarTac handsfree system in Suburban and when I upgraded to V60 series I had to replace all equipment--even car and wall charger cords. It's not just the charger i/f--the entire interface to external squipmet is different--cable, plugs, control box and even the firmware in the phone.

Can't be done--"durn" the luck" casue I want/need to do same thing in my SL600 with StarTac.

·
Registered
2015 GLA 250, 2001 C 320
784 Posts
I don't think that is true ...

Hi there Poorsche,

I am pretty sure all you have to do is buy the new PSE, phone cradle/holster, and phone for your SL. Just those pieces alone are about $1000 though.

I have the SL install instructions with parts lists for the StarTac, Timeport, and V60. The brackets, hardware, harnesses, D2B cable, PTT lever, etc, etc, are all the same. The dealer may tell you it is not compatible, but it is. The PSE is the brains to the entire phone system. The two latest "AutoSense" PSE can tell the difference between each of the three phones. As long as you update that the rest of the hardware is compatible.

Believe me, I know ... the dealer insisted I could not put a V60 in my 2001 ML. They have been instructed to say that. They only offer V60 retrofits to "S" and "CLK" models. The retrofit kits will work in any MY Mercedes with a StarTac or Timeport phone. The hilarious part is even though they said it wouldn't work, the instructions on how to install it into my ML are on the Mercedes TekInfo website!!! Let me know if you want the intructions. I downloaded all MB model and model year phone "install bulletins" from the Mercedes site a few weeks ago!!

Go to my website and download the "MB Technical Telephone Manual V4.5". It gives a lot of good info.

http://home.earthlink.net/~phdwebsite/

Paul[8D]

·
Registered
CLK55/G500/E55/ML55/etc.
1,242 Posts
Re: I don't think that is true ...

They only offer V60 retrofits to "S" and "CLK" models. The retrofit kits will work in any MY Mercedes with a StarTac or Timeport phone.
Hi Paul,

MicroTAC too. I have the MY00 introduction stuff and it has the pinouts and differences with the MicroTAC and StarTAC... yes, there are some differences... but the differences are supported by the PSE, and the extra features are actually on the MicroTAC, so going newer results in a lower requirement.

Took me about 10-15 minutes in my 1999 C43 to replace the phone system. To do it "properly" I should also replace the bumper antenna to be dual-band, but it is working fine so far.

-s-

1 - 18 of 18 Posts