Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently took apart the whole front end to recondition my nasty, embarrassing yellowing headlights. I actually don't like the projector, cheese grater look of the aftermarket ones. I used 400, 800, then 1500 grit sandpaper. I followed that up by using rubbing compound and then polishing compound. I think they turned out pretty good. I am pretty sure this saved me alot of money either way.
The yellow crust was pretty thick and rough. I could never have gotten it out without using sandpaper first.
Has anyone else used a different method?

Attachments

·
Registered
48 Posts
looks really nice

I was just searching for a solution how to do that. My left side looks brand new (I think the PO changed it) while the right side is cloudy.

Can you give more detail how you did it and what rubber compund/polish you used?

Thanks,

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
damn nice job!....all the "crust" was on the outside right?

and sh*t u dont realize how big that headlight really is until you take it out...looks HUGE in your hands lol...no wonder shipping is gunna be $$ for the new projectors..:-/

·
Registered
185 Posts
damn nice job!....all the "crust" was on the outside right?

and sh*t u dont realize how big that headlight really is until you take it out...looks HUGE in your hands lol...no wonder shipping is gunna be $$ for the new projectors..:-/
I was gonna say the same thing. Why does the headlight look GIGANTIC in your hands.... I swear my headlights are not that big haha...

·
Registered
210 Posts
yeah... i ended up doing that recently... I wasnt too happy with the results though... guess i didnt sand it down enough.

they sell that kit at autozone by the way.

okay guys... i was going to post pics and just wait to tell ya... but i ended up buying a smoke cover for our stock headlights! they sell it at LaminX.com. I must say... they turned out nice. (at least until I get thoses new Halo Projectors!) :thumbsup:

·
Registered
210 Posts
I was gonna say the same thing. Why does the headlight look GIGANTIC in your hands.... I swear my headlights are not that big haha...

HAHA... seriously... they are growing everytime i look at them... :yelrotflmao:

I'd have to say they make the person in the pic look like 4'11" or something. :shit not:

·
Registered
821 Posts
and i'm diggin the red sock too, i had mine down in newport news, va...my wife has the dude that works on her ride did it for a reduce price 60.00 bills come out pretty nice, and yes it just look your did cloudy and nasty as hell cannot wait for the new joints to come out!!!

·
Registered
129 Posts
I was thinking about doing that too except my headlights arent too bad so I'm just going to use 2000grit wet. What did you use as the rubbing compound after the sandpaper? And did you do this by hand or with an orbital/pc/rotary?

·
Registered
129 Posts
How long did this take you? I need to do this to my driver's side. Just curious so I know how much time to set aside for it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
it's my 15 year old kid holding it

and she loves those red socks of hers too. She was like "God! My dad is making me hold this stupid headlight thing!!" when I took the picture. She was actually the inspiration for the project. She kept bugging me to get new headlights because it just didn't look cool before.
I did not wet sand. I didn't want to get water in the housing from the back side where I pulled the plugs out. I just went down to Autozone and got the sand paper, paste rubbing and polishing compounds. I used a vibrating sander to get the crust off but after that i went with handsanding. i tried to use an orbital polisher with the rubbing compound but i dont have a vise so it was too difficult so i just used elbow grease and polished by hand.
By the way, be sure to tape the opening in the back of the housing where the turn signal light came out of or you'll end up with dust inside the housing. I messed up and didn't do that step. I had to make a swab with a hanger and rag to wipe the dust out.

·
Registered
140 Posts
you can also use,Meguiar's PLAST X, or Blue magic, after wet sanding with 1000 grit in a single direction. mask around the fenders and bumper, open the hood so not to damage the paint/finish. use a big sponge or water hose while sanding and take your time.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts