Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Outstanding Contributor , Bob's Your Uncle!
29,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Attachments

·
29,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So I ordered the decal online...wouldn't ship to Canada so I had it shipped to Wengerfest in Pennsylvania where I picked it up last Saturday.

Since MPG (my parts guy) retired....the Three Stooges replacing him don't have a clue.

And if I gave them each $10....they wouldn't know where to buy one.

Mercedes decal in a Mercedes bag with a Mercedes label.

"They don't make them anymore. It's been superseded."

Guess what?

In all it's glory.........

Attachments

·
29,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry about the picture orientation.

I thought I had fixed it.

Jeez, Louise.....decals are now my priority???

When did that happen?

Says the guy with a drag link, tie-rods, rotors and pads on his work bench................

·
Registered
240 Posts
Sorry about the picture orientation.

I thought I had fixed it.

Jeez, Louise.....decals are now my priority???

When did that happen?

Says the guy with a drag link, tie-rods, rotors and pads on his work bench................

What did you do with the "stop do not discard" sticker?

·
29,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Outstanding Contributor
2,977 Posts
Call K&N, I think they’ll send you a new one for cheap or even free if you ask nicely, to match your new sticker...

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
decals are now my priority???
Next are the wax crayons used by the quality inspectors as the cars went down the assembly line - musclecar enthusiasts have gone as far as identifying the actual workers from each shift and learning their unique marks.

Decals are light action - there is a whole other world of crazy

·
Registered
225 Posts
Ahh... the tail on those T's was driving me crazy. Correct font was digitized by Peter Wiegel, it's called Alte DIN 1451 Mittelschrift. Turns out there were different spacings of the old 1931 DIN font, Engschrift, Mittelschrift and Breitschrift, and the middle one works out about right.

Still more fiddling to make it perfect. . .

Attachments

·
Registered
225 Posts
Hmm finally found the right thin font, but the T's were wrong, so used T's from another font. Then the L's were wrong, used L's from another font. Then fixed the degree marks. Then the pitch of the underlines. Then the individual row character expansion/compression.

This is almost getting to the point where I'm ready to print it out on glossy inkjet stock and slap it on my shroud and call it cool. The imperfections will distinguish it from a true original-- and will show up when a non-107-board user prints them out and tries to sell them for $25!

Attachments

·
Registered
705 Posts
Hmm finally found the right thin font, but the T's were wrong, so used T's from another font. Then the L's were wrong, used L's from another font. Then fixed the degree marks. Then the pitch of the underlines. Then the individual row character expansion/compression.

This is almost getting to the point where I'm ready to print it out on glossy inkjet stock and slap it on my shroud and call it cool. The imperfections will distinguish it from a true original-- and will show up when a non-107-board user prints them out and tries to sell them for $25!

From past project like this know how difficult it is to reproduce rather than copy a good original. I'm Impressed!!

Wouldn't be so concerned about someone doing rip off your work as would take the original file to look even close to correct.

Not sure if MB would come after you but might think about selling them yourself.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I would think this kind of thing would be covered under “fair use” given that it’s a restoration of a car, it’s reasonable to expect that owners would want to replicate the way the car originally appeared- and that sharing information about that original appearance is a “fair use” of original MB information. That and the sticker is NLA!

·
Registered
705 Posts
What to you plan on using for your paper?

Quite a few choices of waterproof vinyl rather than photo paper. Maybe self-adhesive?

Not sure of the finish if the originals but paper makes all the difference in making a good forgery.

20 years in prison taught me that.:wink

·
Registered
751 Posts
I would be MORE than happy to pay you for those stickers. the ones on my car were destroyed when the radiator was repaired.

·
29,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Not sure of the finish if the originals but paper makes all the difference in making a good forgery.

20 years in prison taught me that.:wink
I see a whole different thread about to start.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
About this Discussion
19 Replies
8 Participants
nobby
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing