Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2007 ML350 4Matic, 2002 E320 4Matic, 1975 350SE, 1975 230.4
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently changed my 2002 E320 W210 battery with new OEM battery tru roadside assistance. The old one got a Vent near the negative terminal. I just looked at the new one. The vent hose isn't connected, and I can't find a vent. Part of the battery is hidden since I didn't remove the whole thing to look for the vent but since it is an OEM battery I don't think they will change the location of the vent significantly so as the old tubing vent wont reach.

Anyone had idea? Are the newer OEM batteries ventless?

·
Premium Member
2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
17,193 Posts
That is odd. The roadside assistance tech should have put in the same type of battery and connected the vent tube for you. I'm sure ones that match your original are still available.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
After searching online, I came trough vlies.tec battery called AGM battery by mercedes. It was developed around 2002 and is superior to the older ones in lots of factors. It can be installed in any position and post no environmental danger even in a crash. Its in Wolfgang's MB Page: Mercedes lead acid, silver calcium, AGM batteries. It also says "MBUSA issues a service bulletin P-B-54.10/53 for all MB passenger car (not light truck) models on May 15, 2001. Passenger models receive them starting Q1/2001 with the new SL, 03+ E, lateron 06+ ML, R, 07+ GL."

I presume these have no more vents on them. I think they must have fitted my car with these newer ones. If thats the case, I essentially got a new battery and an upgrade from the roadside assistance for just $145. Not a bad deal. I didn't look at the model number of the battery since I don't wanna remove the bolt to move the battery out. I will just ask the dealer tomorrow anyway I'm going to have my car checked. =)

Anyone know about these batteries if they have vent on them?

·
Registered
222.132 & 221.122 & 213.050 & 906.633
10,428 Posts
At least my cars with VLRA (AGM) batteries have had a ventilation tube.

I understand that the battery would not ventilate in normal use, the vent and the tube is there for malfunction type of scenarios, at some conditions the battery may emit some gasses that should not enter the interior, specifically on cars with a battery below the rear seat but also for those that have a battery in the trunk or even the engine bay.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Do you know where the vent tube at in your AGM battery Diesel Benz? Is you battery from the dealer? My old battery's vent is near the negative terminal. I can't find a vent tube in the new one but I didn't remove the whole battery to search for it (its half covered when installed). I will look again if I have time. I doubt they move the vent somewhere beyond the reach of the original tubings if ever it got one. Thanks

·
Registered
E320/E250 Bluetec Ford F350 6.7l
36,202 Posts
I had MB roadside assistance replacing battery on our E about 2 years ago and it was vented one for around $180 (got to pay more in California)
I recall a post from a member who fitted AMG battery sideways and although it is considered vent less, it spit some acid in extremal situation.

·
Registered
11 Posts
applauses, bud! You just bought splash/spill proof battery (latest inno)-so, don't wast the time for finding of debreather plastic vent pipe-no more excist(same as mine Brand new battery).

·
Registered
10,428 Posts
Do you know where the vent tube at in your AGM battery Diesel Benz? Is you battery from the dealer? My old battery's vent is near the negative terminal. I can't find a vent tube in the new one but I didn't remove the whole battery to search for it (its half covered when installed). I will look again if I have time. I doubt they move the vent somewhere beyond the reach of the original tubings if ever it got one. Thanks
I'll go and take a photo of my battery later on if I remember. I've never had a battery from the dealer, all my cars have had the battery from the factory! :)

I could check with your VIN but the parts 20, 30 and 40 may belong to your car and your battery:
Êàòàëîã

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,633 Posts
After searching online, I came trough vlies.tec battery called AGM battery by mercedes. It was developed around 2002 and is superior to the older ones in lots of factors. It can be installed in any position and post no environmental danger even in a crash. Its in Wolfgang's MB Page: Mercedes lead acid, silver calcium, AGM batteries. It also says "MBUSA issues a service bulletin P-B-54.10/53 for all MB passenger car (not light truck) models on May 15, 2001. Passenger models receive them starting Q1/2001 with the new SL, 03+ E, lateron 06+ ML, R, 07+ GL."

I presume these have no more vents on them. I think they must have fitted my car with these newer ones. If thats the case, I essentially got a new battery and an upgrade from the roadside assistance for just $145. Not a bad deal. I didn't look at the model number of the battery since I don't wanna remove the bolt to move the battery out. I will just ask the dealer tomorrow anyway I'm going to have my car checked. =)

Anyone know about these batteries if they have vent on them?
Davin, PLEASE DO NOT PRESUME. If your battery has a vent it is venting poisonous, explosive gas and if not through the tube, then into your passenger compartment (and it will drip acid into the pan as well instead of outside the car). It will take you less than a minute to pop the lower part of the rear seat and lift the padding to look at EXACTLY what battery is in there. Doubtless you've spent dozens of minutes on the internet guessing about what the tech did or did not do. PLEASE for the sake of you and your family GO AND LOOK at what is actually in there.

Genuine OEM batteries have the vent tube in the exact same place. Aftermarket batteries relocate it (see my post in the 210 forum, and come visit there if you want to learn more about your car!) and there are also gel batteries that are truly sealed and have no vent because there are no liquids in them (such as the Optima).

But every moment you spend guessing and assuming is simply wasted effort when you can just go look at it, right?

Take care and enjoy the ride,
Greg

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I asked the dealer, they don't wanna comment even if battery is from them. Anyway, I'll check and keep you posted. I'm just lazy I guess. =)

·
Registered
12E350, 12ML350, 08C350
461 Posts
I recently changed my 2002 E320 W210 battery with new OEM battery tru roadside assistance. The old one got a Vent near the negative terminal. I just looked at the new one. The vent hose isn't connected, and I can't find a vent. Part of the battery is hidden since I didn't remove the whole thing to look for the vent but since it is an OEM battery I don't think they will change the location of the vent significantly so as the old tubing vent wont reach.

Anyone had idea? Are the newer OEM batteries ventless?
I've just buy a brand new MB battery ($180.00 + 8.75% tax). The vent (hole) on the battery is on the + (positive) topside (about right in the middle of the + side), the vent plug should be plug into this hole. The battery I bought still use fluid (acid), I can see the fluid level when I tip the battery.
If you need the pictures, I can take it in day light & post for you.

·
Registered
10,428 Posts
These are from the W204 (a diesel, the battery is in the trunk) and W221 (the small front battery, the rear battery is difficult to reach). Both are VRLA batteries but still with the ventilation tube.

Attachments

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Checked my battery again. There's really no vent. I took pictures but can't figure how to post here (sorry, I don't know how to use URLs, no browse button). Thanks for the picture posted

·
Registered
1995 C280
25 Posts
Hey All,

Dealer batteries are nice if you have the cash and plan on keeping your vehicle for many years. However I just installed a battery purchased from Autozone that is the exact same size and cold cranking amps (850) for half the price of a dealer battery 95 bucks. I did a quick mod using some thin plastic "drip hose" from the local home depot. I picked up a 90 degree elbow and connected the new battery vent to the stock tube. Works great. If you get a new battery with the vent in a different place you can easily adapt the vent tube using materials from the plumbing or garden isle.

·
Premium Member
97 E-420 (180K miles), 97 SL500, (93K miles) 2015 GMC Sierra Denali 2500HD CC/SB/4x4 Duramax(55K)
4,194 Posts
Hey All,

Dealer batteries are nice if you have the cash and plan on keeping your vehicle for many years. However I just installed a battery purchased from Autozone that is the exact same size and cold cranking amps (850) for half the price of a dealer battery 95 bucks. I did a quick mod using some thin plastic "drip hose" from the local home depot. I picked up a 90 degree elbow and connected the new battery vent to the stock tube. Works great. If you get a new battery with the vent in a different place you can easily adapt the vent tube using materials from the plumbing or garden isle.
I paid $135 for a mercedes battery from the dealer for my E420 (100AH, the bigger of the two batteries available) . Given that the last one was still good after 13 years and 110K miles, I'd say the factory battery ends up being less costly in the long run. If it wasn't for the fact that the 420 is my wifes daily driver to work, I'd have let it go and see how much longer it would have lasted.

Let us know in 5 years if the Autozone battery is still working.

·
Registered
1999 C43 AMG
21 Posts
Driving a 97 c230.
I got this battery "AutoCraft Gold Battery, Group Size 49H8, 760 CCA" from Advanced Auto Parts for $181 (way to much, I know) I am thinking to return it since online its $134 w/ free pick up at the store and free installation!

I didn't notice any vent on it, installed the battery myself, but now, I am worries about fumes and toxicity. I am also angry for paying 180 :(
Sorry for bumping an old thread, but I need some advice. :surrender:

I could get Duralast instead, for $136, with vent caps , model H8-DLG

1 - 16 of 16 Posts