Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I've noticed on a lot of w123's that the odometer will Work...then Stop...then Work again...all within a few miles.

Does anyone know what the common fixes are? I've also noticed on one that had this problem that the trip-reset button didn't reset the trip.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,639 Posts

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
that means its about to stop working, time to fix, and good luck cause ive followed the tutorial three times and never got it to stay working when it rolls over the xxx100 dial.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Talk about gremlins...my trip counter sticks in hot weather but ever since it got cold it's working all the time. :confused:

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
I bought one of the videos from repair flix, eBay, covering this issue. It was pretty easy to follow. In that video they knurled the shaft instead of using locktite. The repair lasted as long as I owned the car which was another 40,000 miles and was still working fine when I sold it.

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
I never looked at a video or anything, but I did find something about it online.

I just roughed up the shaft where the pot metal gear fits on it, and that seemed to work well.

It's a pain to get it back together though. I had to do it twice, because the first time the numbers were not lined up properly, they were all stuck 'in between'

Aaron

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
hheynow - I've noticed the EXACT same thing on a lot of these!

When it's below freezing, the odometer rolls perfectly, but when the car warms up or when the temp warms up, it stops!

One of them always stops when the trip meter hits a .9 hahaha Any ideas??

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Talk about gremlins...my trip counter sticks in hot weather but ever since it got cold it's working all the time. :confused:
Mine works just the opposite ...When it's warm it's fine, when it's cold it's stuck.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Benzmizer - that is hilarious! It MUST be a common problem! I need to look in to this. One thing of note, my tripmeter reset button doesn't reset the tripmeter. Anyone know if that adds to the problem?

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
It gets stuck at .9 because it takes more effort for it to roll over the next number, and the pot metal gear slips on the shaft.

I had fixed mine, and it was working very well. Then it got stuck @ 299999.....

Which sucked, because I had my cell phone all fired up and ready to take a pic of the 300K transition.

I helped it past 300K and it's worked fine since then, too.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
That is hilarious! It MUST be a common problem!
Yeah, when the tripmeter reaches .9 kms, I have to push it to reset just to make it continue working. Sheesh!

It gets stuck at .9 because it takes more effort for it to roll over the next number, and the pot metal gear slips on the shaft.

I had fixed mine, and it was working very well.
Any tips how you fixed this problem?

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

I had fixed mine, and it was working very well. Then it got stuck @ 299999.....

Which sucked, because I had my cell phone all fired up and ready to take a pic of the 300K transition.

I helped it past 300K and it's worked fine since then, too.
akimball442, HAHAHAHahahahahaha!!!!!! one of the FUNNIEST things I've read on this message board!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :p :rotfl::rotfl:

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
[QUOTE:benzmizer]Any tips how you fixed this problem?[/QUOTE]

Yup. Step one is go to the junkyard and yank one so that if you destroy it you won't find yourself throwing things around the room.

After that, it's pretty straight forward taking it apart.

All of the numbers are free-wheeling on a shaft. There's another secondary shaft with smaller sort of gear things that cause the odo to roll the 10s, 100s, 1000's etc places when the digit to the right goes past '9.'

You'll have to use a tiny claw bar or pliers or something to slide a pressed brass 'keeper' off the end of the shaft, so that you can press it the other way through all the numbers and out of the odometer.

Keep a mental note, or better yet take a pic of how all these things go together. Otherwise when your cat, dog, or other inquisitive housemate knocks them off the table you can figure out what order they were in.

There's this greyish pot metal or cast aluminum gear on the shaft that is supposed to be fixed to the shaft. It's just press fitted, and it begins to slip after a while. You'll notice when you take it apart how easy it is to get off.

The repair procedures I've seen for it suggest putting it back together and gluing it- that's kind of a bad idea, most glues are going to run and wick into places where it should not be getting stuck. I took a pair of cutters and put a bit of a crease in the shaft where the metal gear goes(not too much, you don't want it to crack in half) I needed a little bit more of a mark to hold it in place evidently.

It worked pretty well though.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
GREAT advice!! I'll try to get out there this weekend! Also, THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU for the KILLER post!!!!!

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts