Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
1985 300D
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I find lots of threads about the odometer, and lots of threads about cleaning...

Is there a way to clean the odometer tumblers/number wheels without removing the printed numbers?

I am about to tackle the inoperable odometer and would like to clean it while I'm in there.

· Registered
1984 Mercedes 280E bought new in Germany in 1984. A one owner Merc. Never needed restoring!
454 Posts
I have the same question.

I find lots of threads about the odometer, and lots of threads about cleaning...

Is there a way to clean the odometer tumblers/number wheels without removing the printed numbers?

I am about to tackle the inoperable odometer and would like to clean it while I'm in there.
The white part of my numbers have turned light brown.

· Registered
1982 240D, 1985 280E Euro, 1989 300TE, 1992 300D 2.5 Turbo, 1992 300SD
349 Posts
I cleaned one before. The numbers didn't smear, and I used soapy water and microfiber cloth and a cue tip. Cleaned really well. Thing is I did this on a broken one, so the numbers where easy to turn. This one was an experiment to see if they do clean up, so I'm not sure my method of cleaning them is a good one. I didn't take the odometer out; just the whole speedometer and turned the numbers.

I wouldn't really recommend my method of cleaning them, but they shouldn't smear.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.