Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1977 450SL
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My odometer and trip odometer stoped working this week. The speedometer and all other gauges still work. This has happened once before, the gears that turn the numbers stripped out. Does anyone know if they make a rebuild kit for something like this? Thanks.

·
Registered
Depends on the day!
13,337 Posts
Not that I have ever seen.. Although I have never looked. You should be able to find a useable used cluster quite readily.

Jonathan

·
Registered
560SL,380SL
4,012 Posts
There is a gear that is pressed on that slips, as I've read on other forums. It has been JB-Welded (very strong epoxy glue) by others with some success.

·
Registered
1984 Euro 500SL
107 Posts
Never reset the odometer while the car is moving. This can definitely strip the gears in there. (speaking from experience here). The gear may or may not be glued or JB welded back together. I had to buy another cluster for my 380SE. I finally found one with nearly the exact same mileage.
Mike

·
Registered
1977 450SL
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow, never new about not resetting the trip while the car is moving. Makes sense though. So do you think the actual gears are stripped (missing teeth) or do you think the gear is just spinning on the rod that holds it? Is this why the JB weld is needed?

Guess I won't know until I get the cluster out. I tried to get the steering wheel off yesterday so I could access the gauge cluster, but I was unable to get the nut off, any suggestions for getting it off? Is it regular thread or reverse thread? Would using a air gun help to get it off?

Thanks again.

·
Registered
2005 SLK350, 91 300SL with Pano Top, 04 S500, 2015 Tesla Model S
2,082 Posts
Most likely no gears are stripped but the grey gear is slipping on the shaft. How it ever worked in the first place is a mystery. Remove the shaft carefully following it with a drill bit or something else of about the same diameter so that the whole mess does not fall out. Then roughen the area on the shaft where the slipping gear sat. A slight whack with a center punch might work. Then reverse the procedure and push the shaft back and there should be resistance at the culprit gear if you have done it right. See attached picture

Attachments

·
Registered
1977 450SL
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I tried to remove the steering wheel to get to the speedometer but with no luck, I'm unable to get the nut off, even with an air wrench. Is there any tricks to getting it off? Is the nut reversed thread? Thanks.

·
Registered
2005 SLK350, 91 300SL with Pano Top, 04 S500, 2015 Tesla Model S
2,082 Posts
My 1980 450SL has a bolt which requires a 10mm hex key to remove it. Earlier versions had a nut, regular thread not reversed.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts