Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The odometer and trip meter of my 200d stops working once in a while, specially if the car has been left out in the sun for an hour or so. The speedometer works fine though. After the car, or the interior has cooled down, or after parking in a covered area for quite a while, the odometer and trip meter start working fine again. What could be done to fix this? Thanks!

·
Registered
4,624 Posts
Thanks, tuttebenne! I will try pushing the reset button harder. Hope it works!
Also, pushing it is not as important as how you let it snap back into place. Try pushing it in and while it is pushed in, slide your finger to the side to release the button. This will let it snap back as quickly as it can.

·
Registered
281 Posts
ijiwaru: I imagine that your 200d is the same as my my 1994 E420, which has a white or yellow nylon gear in the speedometer housing that controls the odometer, yours is probably missing a tooth or two. You must use a special tool to pull the gauge cluster (this tool can be made from coat hanger by putting a small hook on the end of each of two pieces - approx. 10" - 12" in length - that have been bent into a "L" shape). Replacement is easy enough for a DYI project. You can order a replacement gear from this company:

Odometer Gears
Jeff Caplan
Darren Shackelford
72 Croatan Rd.
Newport News, VA 23606-2617
757-593-3478
757-771-6694
Odometer Gears - WELCOME
[email protected]

or possibly from this company:

Auto Instruments
2125 Virginia Ave.
Collinsville, VA 24078
877-450-0110
[email protected]

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the advice. I’ll try pushing the reset button first while the car is stopped and check the release. If that doesn’t work, I’ll check if the gears are missing a couple of teeth.

·
Registered
940 Posts
I was lucky my small gear wheel had moved along the shaft and was no longer making contact with the main gear .I just roughed up the shaft with diamond file then put a spot of super glue on the shaft --not to much or it can get on the gears then its a stip out job.Then fitted the small gear back in place .Take care when you have the main numbers drun out --put tape ovrer the numbers to hold them in place if they do move you speedo wont work or dot the number down on paper if they do move you can line them up again after.Did my speedo trip three years back and still going well .Google search on this will come up with lots of information.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
5 Participants
plinker17722
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing