Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1985 300D
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just replaced the speedo in my 85 300D as the Odometer has stopped working about 3 weeks ago. Only problem is that the car originally has 172k mi on it and the refurbished speedo only has 95k mi on the clock. Anyone know how I can spin the old one up to 172k? I've heard rumors that you can do this somehow with a drill but looking at the speedo, I have no idea what bit you would use for this. Appreciate any and all suggestions.

Thanks

·
BenzWorld W126 & W201 Host
1988 420SE, 2002 C180 Kompressor, 200 ML320
1,159 Posts
Speedo

The drill method involves attaching the end of an old speedo cable into the drill, then connecting the peice of cable into the back of the odometer and turning the drill on.

By the way, don't read too much into this, i've never done it, i just know thats the way it's done.

·
Registered
1985 300D
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Makes sense

That makes sense. I guess I'd need to have an old speedo cable to give it a try. I'll have to work on finding one.

I'm going to have to figure out how to do this becuase I intend to have the original speedo fixed so I could re-install it, and then I'd still have to know how to spin it up so that it would reflect the mileage I put on the currently installed speedo.

At any rate, I appreciate the advice.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.