Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
190E 2.6, ML 320
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently replaced the engine in my MY99 ml320, Is there any way to reset the odometer to reflect the mileage on the the new engine

·
Registered
Classic 92 190E 2.6
4,235 Posts
teflon_don said:
I have recently replaced the engine in my MY99 ml320, Is there any way to reset the odometer to reflect the mileage on the the new engine
I am sure it is possible, but it is illegal in the USA and other parts of the world. Just do basic math, for example mileage on car before new engine (150,000) just write it down, then when you want the mileage on the new engine (let say 170,000), the new engine mileage is 20,000. Also Mercedes-Benz has a free high mileage award program which setting your odometer back will not help you get the award.

·
Registered
1999 E55, 2001 E320, 1990 560 SEC, 2004 ML350, 2001 ML55, 1995 S500, 1998 SL500, 2010 E550 Sport zoo
7,035 Posts
the dealeree software, yes...

The official MB diaognostic software does have the ability to reset the odometer - for instance a replacement odometer shows zero, can be corrected to relfect milage from old/bad odometer.

Depending on area, a rest may or may not be illegal...

·
Registered
Classic 92 190E 2.6
4,235 Posts
teflon_don said:
However it would be nice if cars came with a real engine clock, how about the time the engine is running at stop lights and etc. I believe airplanes have them.

·
Registered
11,243 Posts
Mileage on the engine may be lower, but mileage on various other components in the car still remain the same.

·
Registered
2001 Ml 430 Sport
78 Posts
In fact, many newer GM cars have an "Engine Clock". I had a 2003 Silverado which showed the mileage, and the "Engine hours" on the display. My 2007 Cadillac SRX also has this "Engine Hours" display. Very unique.

By the way, I owned a car dealership for about 3 or 4 years and resetting your odometer is extremely illegal. Not only that, but your car could eventually be issued a salvage title, or a "mileage unknown" title, which would totally distroy all of your resale value if you ever try to sell it. It is very hard to sell a car with a damaged title, due mostly to the fact that almost all banks will not loan money for a vehicle with a "tampered odometer", or damaged title. On a 1999 vehicle, resetting your odometer is the absolute worst thing you could possibly do. You will open up doors you will regret later.

Just my 2 cents.... By the way, how much did it cost to replace that engine?

Regards,

- VIC

·
Registered
N/A
23 Posts
A friend of mine bought a used ML, and it had low mileage respectively to its year model, taking it to the offical MB dealer, they were able to retrieve the orginal number which was nearly double the current one.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts