Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1992 W140
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone advise if the W140 saves the mileage in more than one location?

I've never been able to verify the mileage of one of my cars and in researching found this quote "The digital odometer value for vehicles dated from the early nineties to the early 2000s, is electronically stored within the MCU's memory and can be changed on the bench" (at MBCluster.com Mercedes W140 Instrument Cluster Repair Homepage).

I would hope you can't change the mileage just by swapping out the cluster.

·
Registered
1994 S600 Coupe, 1995 S600 Coupe
2,217 Posts
I asked this question a long time ago and never got an answer. At least on the early 92-95 cars, I've seen no evidence the mileage is stored anywhere but in the cluster. I've seen no mention in WIS or any other W140 technical documentation mentioning it. And on the early clusters with mechanical odometers, I'm pretty sure there is no electronic storage at all. One of my coupes has had at least three clusters in it, as the original had obviously been replaced with a salvage unit, and I replaced that with a digital version because I experienced the early mechanical odometer cluster battery drain issue. I'd love to know the true mileage of the car.

The only way storage of the mileage would be meaningful is if the memory it was stored in was physically locked to the serial number of the vehicle. In the early cars, the only box I'm aware of that is so tied is the IR remote receiver unit in the car. It certainly doesn't have mileage stored in it.

Jon

·
93 SL500, 95 SL320, 96 S320, 98 S500, 2002 E320 4Matic Wagon & A little 91 5.0 FORD Mustang
8,064 Posts
It is true. All of it is stored on the cluster. I'm pretty sure you can swap out a analog odometer for a digital one too up to a 95 V8/V12 or 96-I6 after those years the clusters are different mechanically and electrically.

Here in the USA one has do a VIN investigation for the actual odometer reading, yet one member here in the forum hired-me to look at cars.

I once looked at a "60k-mile" V12 car, yet on the outside it look great, but the oxidation of bolts, and sometimes brake fluid along with oil drips did not reflect a 60k car. The car really had like +200k. It is just NOooooo-way the car had 60k. Do not be sold on a odometer reading.

Go look at some real low odometer cars of any make, and look underneath and the type of leaks. The bolt color. The type of rust even if the car sits...

Hope it helps..

Martin

·
Registered
1992 W140
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Original pictures from my low mileage car which sat for many years... Mileage in this state was claimed 35,000 kms/20,000 miles, sat for 6 years unused, some outdoors, some garaged. The engine mounts, calipers and discs needed replacing, which I thought was very suspicious, however my mechanic said they can deteriorate quickly when unused for this long and then put back into use (the repairs were necessary within about 1,000 kms of driving). Overall the car seemed almost as-new and hasn't had any issues.

untitled.png

untitled2.png

untitled4.png

untitled5.png

untitled6.png

untitled7.png

untitled8.png

untitled9.png

Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18 Show Content
untitled10.png

·
93 SL500, 95 SL320, 96 S320, 98 S500, 2002 E320 4Matic Wagon & A little 91 5.0 FORD Mustang
8,064 Posts
Melb,

Baloney on your odometer reading. The tail-tail-sign is that upper control arm. IT IS NOT the rubber boot. AND..... you live in Australia??? Does snow near you?

Example, I changed every suspension part on one of my W140's about 5 to 6years ago and 30k mile later and sat outside in the rain. Driven in lots of rain and snow. My upper control have silver aluminum on them, and one can crawl under the car see the the suspension parts have been changed. I bet the my steering dampening shock right under the oil pan still is hard to push-in(working like a shock) where your shock will just move freely. Just remove one of the bolts(15mm is what the size is ) push and pull on it once you remove the bolt.
The black grime on the head of upper control are is not because of time. I have a friend with 65kMile Toyota daily driver. In a year's time and he washes the car about every five days and puts on tire dressing and his upper control are does not have that level of grime.

My guess is you are above 100kmiles

Martin

·
Registered
1992 W140
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Baloney on your odometer reading. The tail-tail-sign is that upper control arm. IT IS NOT the rubber boot. AND..... you live in Australia??? Does snow near you?
The car originated in far-north Queensland where it's very humid and was used seaside and in the outback. It had a CB radio and a custom-made plastic floor over the carpet deep enough to hold a bucket of water. The interior and exterior condition matched low mileage when I purchased it, but how low I don't know because of this situation with the clusters. I will check the steering dampening shock and have a look under my known high mileage car (200,000 kms) which is used in a normal climate and always been garaged.

·
Registered
1992 W140
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Steering dampening shock was firm, I replaced it in the other car at 180k, which still has silver control arms but has had the opposite kind of usage. The car really remains a mystery as to the mileage. If the cluster has to come out at some stage that might be the time to investigate further. Seems ridiculous that the mileage is only stored on the cluster and that it can be gamed. Far from 'over-engineered' in this regard.

·
Premium Member
1999 S600 & 1999 S500
901 Posts
I know that the mileage is stored in the cluster. I removed mine in my S500 to change all the bulbs (20+). In the process of removing, I cracked the clear cover. I bought a used one from Ebay. Out of curiosity, I plugged it in. It had a lower mileage than than mine did. Rather than explain the difference, I removed the clear cover from the Ebay cluster and installed it on mine.

When I sold the car, it had the higher correct mileage showing and I had a clear conscience.

It is very easy to replace the cluster with a different one. The car fax is the safest way to make sure. I have seen a few for sale with a discrepancy.

·
Registered
1992 W140
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It is very easy to replace the cluster with a different one. The car fax is the safest way to make sure. I have seen a few for sale with a discrepancy.
Unfortunately there's no equivalent to car fax in Australia and for cars purchased from another state outside of the dealer system it gets murkier. You really need the service books and to follow up their validity, but in my instance the car was from a deceased estate and the books "lost."

I found some advice about how to get a better idea:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts