Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
06 e350 4matic , 1990 350SDL, 2000 E320
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My moms 1987 Mercedes Benz 300 SDL odometer is not working, she drivers over 2,000 miles a month around the state due from being a traffic controller. shes always at work sites and has problems with rocks hitting her car and such. But i cleaned her car and the next day the odometer stopped working, i know cars speedo is off but almost five but only at higher speeds and and the cruise control has only worked once but that's the has always been that way since we bought the car. Can a rock have hit the odometer counter or does the vss also record the millage this is very important because her fuel gauge is also broken and we used the odometer and trip counter to record mileage for a fill up but now there is no way to tell. I dont want to take apart the dash unless i have too what can be checked prior to that?

·
Registered
'82 Euro 500SEL, '85 Euro 500SEC AMG WB Cabriolet,'86 Euro 500SEC RUF
9,487 Posts
odometergears.com Is a good place to read up and get the new gear(s). Several threads here that detail how to remove the cluster and the gears.

·
Registered
126: 1981 300SD, 1987 300SDL
119 Posts
Until the odo is fixed, she could use a gps unit (a real one, not a driver's one), or an android phone with the "my tracks" google android app that's free and can track trips', miles, altitudes, speeds, etc. At least a good temporary tracking fix. Have you actually looked at the odo cable, or pulled the instrument cluster out to take a look?

·
Registered
93 190E 2.6; 82 300 SD Turbo
1,686 Posts
You've probably got one or two broken gears on the odometer.

There is no cable, these are all electrically driven units.

Check out my thread on replacement here:
HOW-TO: W126 Odometer Repair, Clock Capacitor Replace - PeachParts Mercedes ShopForum

As for Cruise Control, send me a PM if you are interested in repairing it.

Taking apart the dash is very easy on these cars (as opposed to the 124 or 201 cars) a simple metal coat hanger with a bent end and you can have it out in less than 5 minutes.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I was able to purchase the odometer gears for the speedometer on ebay for $20.
The seller is garagistic30, they have the gears a tad cheaper directly from their website Garagistic
lifetime warranty. They are listed for BMW abut are the same gears as Mercedes.
You have to count the teeth off the old gear to make sure you have the exact match.
These worked perfect on my odometer.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I was able to purchase the odometer gears for the speedometer on ebay for $20.
The seller is garagistic30, they have the gears a tad cheaper directly from their website Garagistic
lifetime warranty. They are listed for BMW abut are the same gears as Mercedes.
You have to count the teeth off the old gear to make sure you have the exact match.
These worked perfect on my odometer.
You are correct. Many gears are shared between bmw and mercedes. Here is the direct link:

Mercedes Odometer gears

·
Registered
1985 500 SEC EURO AMG/LORINSER; 1988 560SEL, 1995 S500 Sonderschutz
3,679 Posts
If you havin' travel distance problems I feel bad for you son, I got
problems and an odometer ain't

·
Registered
1985 300SD with a bad transmission and a 1985 300SD with a good transmission
578 Posts

·
Registered
'91 560SEC, '91 300SE (sold), '98 Yota, '02 S-10 Hauler
8,934 Posts
This might sound a bit off but check your fuses too, one time I noticed the tach and speedo weren't working, brake lights too, fuse changed fixed it :thumbsup:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts