Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 1982 240D has only 99k miles on it.<br>Recently I have noticed that the trip odometer<br>locks up usually as the 1/10 mile number turns past 9.<br>This causes the odometer to stop registering total miles.<br>The speedometer works normally. <br>Has anyone ever had this problem and is there a solution?<br>Thanks. Jacques

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Mine did the same thing. There is a small plastic gear that drives the tripmeter & odometer off of the speedometer. I called two speedometer repair shops listed in Hemmings and both wanted $125 to repair and will not sell gear separately. I'm looking for a good used spedometer unit now.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
my 300d's odo stoped 3 years ago at250717km since then im sure we have done well over 150000km in addition<br>QUOTE<br>'IF it doesnt affect the performance of the car<br>DONT WORY'<br> louis miles

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: Re: odometer problem

In SA you can buy those gears from the MB Agents.(For about two dollars if I remember correctly)

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have fixed a couple of odometers for 116 cars with a drop of Loctite 680. One of the gears starts slipping on the shaft, and a drop of loctite will fix it. Use Loctite rather than super glue or something like that. Loctite only hardens when it is in a confined place with no air. It will not glue your fingers or other gears together. <br> <p>host162.servos.com

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have fixed a couple of odometers for 116 cars with a drop of Loctite 680. One of the gears starts slipping on the shaft, and a drop of loctite will fix it. Use Loctite rather than super glue or something like that. Loctite only hardens when it is in a confined place with no air. It will not glue your fingers or other gears together. <br> <p>host162.servos.com

·
Registered
2005 w203, 2013 Town & Country
2,180 Posts
Thats a good idea and exactly what happens the gear slips...

I drilled mine out and "staked" it with a press fit rod.

you have to stop the slip
Jake

My 1982 240D has only 99k miles on it.
Recently I have noticed that the trip odometer
locks up usually as the 1/10 mile number turns past 9.
This causes the odometer to stop registering total miles.
The speedometer works normally.
Has anyone ever had this problem and is there a solution

but yours locks up...hmhmhmmhmmm
did you take it out and look at it? if not yet be care ful of your eddy current needle and cone -other than that its cake...perhaps is just dirty and gummed up, or it is the gear issue and thats why it wont register, its slipping - ive done so much to my car its hard to remember reason and rhyme.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.