Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1982 300CD
5,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My odometer just recently stopped working, so I thought I'd go to the dieselgiant page: How to Repair Your Broken Odometer

The explanation at the end is a bit vague, isn't it?

Anyway, I decided rather than to take out the pin and threadlock the pot metal gear (somehow), then reinstall and deal with the phase gears, etc. for an hour, I would try a shortcut and see if it works.

I pulled off the copper ring which was securing the pin, then simply slid out the pin a little, and attacked the rod with a needlenose vice grip. I don't know if I deformed the shape of the rod, but I sure did put some deep grooves into it. Then I just pushed it back in, and pressed on the brass ring again. It is grabbing the inside of the pot metal gear just fine, now.

·
Registered
83 500SEC, 84 300TD, 86 190E 5.0 M113, 87 300D, 01 CLK55, 02 C32, 02 C320T, 03 C320T4, 03 E55
2,600 Posts
last time I fixed one, I did the vice grip thing too- it worked great.

·
Registered
1985 300 turbodiesel
102 Posts
Gregs300CD said:
My odometer just recently stopped working, so I thought I'd go to the dieselgiant page: How to Repair Your Broken Odometer

The explanation at the end is a bit obscure, isn't it?

Anyway, I decided rather than to take out the pin and threadlock the pot metal gear (somehow), then reinstall and deal with the phase gears, etc. for an hour, I would try a shortcut and see if it works.

I pulled off the copper ring which was securing the pin, then simply attacked the rod with a needlenose vice grip. I don't know if I deformed the shape of the rod, but I sure did put some deep grooves into it. Then I just pushed it back in. It is grabbing the inside of the pot metal gear just fine, now.

But, I was a bit careless and my miles now change on the 1 tenth on the trip counter rather than on the 0. I'm not bothered by it, and the speedometer is smooth again so I don't want to mess with it. Besides, this is my gold car (daily driver).

when you say you pulled off the copper ring and attacked the rod, how exactly did you do it? you still have to pull the rod/pin out first right? Maybe a simple diagram or pic would help, I've had the cluster out numerous times and only ever went as far as tightening the little brass nut that squeezes the numbered gears together, it worked for a while, now i'm getting ready to go back in and fix it once and for all.

·
Registered
1982 300CD
5,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
The copper (or brass) ring that I'm talking about is the one in this picture of the DIY page...

I just removed the ring, slid out the shaft far enough to expose the portion sitting underneath the usual position of the pot metal gear, and slid in a drill bit as suggested. That maneuver is seen in the next picture of the DIY.

But instead of going any further, I simply clamped the vice grip on it really hard a few times, and squeezed it back together.

Attachments

·
Registered
1985 300 turbodiesel
102 Posts
gotcha..I'm gonna take it out again today and try it. Thanks much.

·
Registered
1984 300D Turbo Diesel
206 Posts
Gregs300CD said:
But, I was a bit careless and my miles now change on the 1 tenth on the trip counter rather than on the 0.
Do you mean to say the trip odometer miles change on the 1/10 mark of the trip odo or the car odometer changes on the 1/10 mark of the trip odo?

·
Registered
1984 300D Turbo Diesel
206 Posts
Gregs300CD said:
The car odometer changes miles on the 1 tenth mark of the trip counter.
Doesn't this just depend on when you reset the trip odometer? If you reset it at the 5/10 mark, the miles on the car odometer will flip over at the 5/10 mark until you reset the trip odometer again. I don't think you messed anything up.

You could reset your trip odometer to 0 precisely when the car odometer flips a mile, then you'd have them back in sync at the 0/10 mark. Otherwise they are not going to be in sync. Someone tell me if I'm wrong here. I thought all mechanical odometers worked this way.

·
Registered
European 1974 350SLC ,'78 300CD& '80 300CD sold , '81 240D SWMBO's Car '84 300CD & Euro
662 Posts
O.K. STUPID Question Time !

I took my speedo apart and sure enough , the little zinc gear is loose on it's shaft ~ I want to try your tip but how to get the pressed on brass sleeve off ? it's so close I cannot get even my small screwdriver between it and the sheet meal frame , I pried it a bit but I don't want it to pop off and go sailing away....

HELP ! :bowdown:

TIA ,

·
Registered
1982 300CD
5,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I actually used a cutting plyers and squeezed. The tool wedged under the ring, popping it up. Just be careful not to cut the rod off.

Attachments

·
Registered
European 1974 350SLC ,'78 300CD& '80 300CD sold , '81 240D SWMBO's Car '84 300CD & Euro
662 Posts
Oh O.K. ~ a pair of Dykes then ~ I'll give that a go right now .

THANX ! .

Oh yeah ~ after I put gouges on the shaft , it'll slide through the number wheels O.K. and then stick in the little zinc gear ? .

I'me hoping to _not_ ruin this thing .

·
Registered
1982 300CD
5,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Use a needle-nose vice grip and only gouge the area under the slipping metal gear.

And yea, the trip odometer will start whenever you press it.
I can't even think in analog anymore...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts