Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
93 300SD,79 300CD work in progress
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a search and found a couple of threads about odometer/trip repair.I don't know if they were the same for an electronic speedo assy?I have an 84 300sd and the odometer has quit working,I removed the instrument cluster but I am a little reluctant to tear it apart as everything else is working.The dash lihts are not working properly so I am going to bridge the reostat.I don't kow if I can remove the center portion on the back of the cluster to try and repair the odometer.Any suggestions/advice??Thanks

·
Registered
1988 300e
47 Posts
I was engaged in the exact project repair today. It is a pretty simple task. Remove the entire cluster from the dash...it is friction-fit in there. Unplug the 6-8 different plugs from the back and bring it to the work bench. There are 5 (I think) screws holding the speedo/odometer set in place. Remove the (mine is white) cluster and look under the speedo and you will likely see a busted gear (mine was green)...it is the smallest gear there. You can remove the two slotted screws from the clear housing and remove the gears for replacement. I would suggest taking a picture of the assy so you can look back to how it is put together. The gears slide off with no effort.
As far as the lights...mine were not working when I put the whole thing back in. I am assuming it is a ground issue because when I removed it again to investigate and reinstalled it, half of the lights were now working.
Same thing last time I removed the cluster, but they came back on while driving.
Hope this helps.

By the way, I had a bin of scrap gears from my RC days and was able to find a replacement for the green one in there. I did find another gear with 2 teeth broken, so I still have no odo.:mad:

·
Registered
93 300SD,79 300CD work in progress
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just put it back together,it has a stripped gear.The bad gear is the black one that makes contact with the smallest gear.I'm gonna look around and see if I can find something to make the repair.We have a hobby shop here that handles all kind of r/c stuff but you never know when their gonna be open.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts