Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I reset the trip mileage now the odometer stopped working. I guess someone here knows who fixes odometers. Any help would be appreciated. I checked the search forum but did not find a solution. I was hearing a clicking sound prior to the malfunction.

I have a second odometer but the milage is way less. Could the mileage be set on the replacement to be correct mileage as it is a medallion vehical. I am wanting the 750K badge. Without the correct mileage being registered that would be impossible.

I recently changed the fuel distributor. That cured the rough idle. Mileage back to 19-20.

Thanks in advance.

The Texan

[email protected]

Rockport ,Texas

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
I reset the trip mileage now the odometer stopped working. I guess someone here knows who fixes odometers. Any help would be appreciated. I checked the search forum but did not find a solution. I was hearing a clicking sound prior to the malfunction.

I have a second odometer but the milage is way less. Could the mileage be set on the replacement to be correct mileage as it is a medallion vehical. I am wanting the 750K badge. Without the correct mileage being registered that would be impossible.

I recently changed the fuel distributor. That cured the rough idle. Mileage back to 19-20.

Thanks in advance.

The Texan

[email protected]

Rockport ,Texas
You've got the classic gear failure. Pretty easy to fix if you've got the right gears in the donor cluster or order new. Here's a few links from the DIY with some info. Try searching "odometer gear" or "gears".

DIY: Yellow guage needles/cluster rehab

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w126-s-se-sec-sel-sd/1465788-true-cluster-f.html

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w126-s-se-sec-sel-sd/1442364-another-instrument-cluster-rehab.html

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the links. I can not get them to open. I tried to cut and paste them after I got a 404 error but still did not work.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Typical problem. This happened on our 300SEL about 4 month ago at 156,000 miles. I had been using the trip odometer as a "gas gauge" since it had not been reading accurately. One day I reset it and that was it. No more odometer working, nor trip odometer. Too bad they used the same gear for both... when you lose one, you lose them both.

Still waiting to get ours fixed... I estimate we have 160K now.

·
Registered
3,256 Posts

·
Registered
9,985 Posts
If not, I can rehab for you. I have some experience with them and have about a dozen units laying around. I can also set your miles (Ahead only) to whatever number you want.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks to all

The gears were shot. I pulled the gears from a donor and it now works. The speed is about 2 mph slower than gps says on cruise going down a flat straight road. I must have had a different donor cluster.

The needles are faded so I will take the donor and redo it as it was from a car with a third the miles I have. I will have to send it out so the milage can be matched to current milage as it is a high milage program Badge Contestant. lol

The Texan

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
The gears were shot. I pulled the gears from a donor and it now works. The speed is about 2 mph slower than gps says on cruise going down a flat straight road. I must have had a different donor cluster.

The needles are faded so I will take the donor and redo it as it was from a car with a third the miles I have. I will have to send it out so the milage can be matched to current milage as it is a high milage program Badge Contestant. lol

The Texan
Good Job! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
4,964 Posts
i need to get mine fixed too....im a little scared to do this fix myself but the speedo shops want 200 bucks aarghh

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Practice on one in a jy. I was two scared to do mine but i tryed removing one at the yard and was surpized that it just poped out with a flat head (less scary then i thought)

·
Registered
4,964 Posts
yea i knwo i can take it out, but from there, i would need a slide by slide tutorial, in superdetail lol

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
About this Discussion
11 Replies
6 Participants
vdubpower
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing