Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
161 - 180 of 256 Posts

·
Registered
U1450L DOKA
13,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #163 ·
Besides its odd looks, the seating arrangement looks a little weird. Only two seats show up in any photo, and in the shot with the door open, one is mounted on the centerline, slightly ahead of the other one. No sign of a steering wheel, or gear levers, or a handbrake, and why go to the trouble of converting it to center steering, if that is what is going on?
The void on the right side, where a third seat might go, well, that could be occupied by a large cooler full of piwo, maybe.

·
Registered
U1450L DOKA
13,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #164 ·
An interesting slatted grill on a 406-416 UNIMOG, from somewhere in the UK, if I remember correctly.

It looks pretty good, and I'd say that it is home-made, based on the bolted together splices above the PTO tunnel.

It might be for style (based on the stylish mirrors also added on), function, malfunction...something.

The hoses dangling up front nerd a little help.

Vehicle Wheel Tire Vehicle registration plate Truck

·
Registered
1980 Model 406
124 Posts
Need / nerd.
Inquiring minds need to know if there is a need/nerd implanted in the grill, or is it simply a reptile or replica of some sort. Doesn't look like a michelin man at least? There was a time when every earnest trucker in the UK sported a plastic 'Kilroy was here' leering over the front bumper.

·
Registered
U1450L DOKA
13,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #167 ·
I thought it might be a ninja turtle, but I’m not up on that stuff.

·
Registered
U1450L DOKA
13,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #168 ·
After auditing a crash course, I submit that it is a Turtle on that grill.

Light Flooring Automotive exterior Building Font
Smile Toy Sleeve Gesture Stuffed toy
Toy Sleeve Insect Gesture Arthropod
Arm Gesture Headgear Sleeve Art

·
Registered
U1450L DOKA
13,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #169 ·
It's good to pin down this important stuff early, before it spirals out of control.

·
Registered
U1450L DOKA
13,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #172 ·
Some of my truck - It is as Odd as most, anyway.
Parked in a Driveway in a neighborhood, with some blue Pop-Ups....
Pretty normal neighborhood except that everything you see, plus a couple more blocks of it, is all Bogus. The houses and everything else you see were just built for filming. No Plumbing, unfinished and finished interiors...
The Last I heard, the whole shebang was leveled for 'Development'.

Beach Camping - Easy days, Surf a bit, eat tacos, fiddle with the truck, Surf, Sort tools, tacos, Sleep. I should schedule some more of that, especially since it is 2 degrees tonight. Ah well...
Some other stuff.

That is Kai behind the wheel down at Bill Caid's place, shortly after I had driven the truck to LA. We took a test drive on the 405. I let Kai Drive, I was in the back seat, Caid in the right front, I think, Mark (maybe) in the back seat. When we pulled up the onramp and onto the freeway, Kai punched it and said " Wow, Now THIS is what a UNIMOG should drive like !" I was very happy to hear that, especially considering the source. I was happy with the truck, of course, but to hear Kai say that made my day, at the very least.

Wheel Automotive parking light Tire Sky Vehicle
Sky Building Property Plant Window
Wheel Tire Land vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire
Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Motor vehicle
Wheel Tire Sky Vehicle Automotive tire
Tire Wheel Automotive parking light Sky Land vehicle
Sleeve Sportswear Automotive exterior Font T-shirt
Wheel Tire Vehicle Plant Automotive tire
Tire Wheel Vehicle Sky Automotive tire
Wheel Tire Sky Cloud Vehicle

·
Registered
U1450L DOKA
13,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #175 ·
The U1400 Tug is shown working on a muddy test track somewhere. The Track has a wash station to blast mud off of the undercarriage before driving out onto the public roads, it appears.

Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Sky Tire
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Car Vehicle
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Plant
Wheel Tire Vehicle Plant Motor vehicle
Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle
Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Plant
Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle
Wheel Tire Sky Vehicle Car
Tire Wheel Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire
Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Hood

·
Registered
U1450L DOKA
13,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #176 ·
Test Track maybe, but looking into the distance, it looks more like a quarry or an open pit mine, which would also explain the wash station.

·
Registered
1250v
692 Posts
The U1400 Tug is shown working on a muddy test track somewhere. The Track has a wash station to blast mud off of the undercarriage before driving out onto the public roads, it appears.

View attachment 2730355 View attachment 2730356 View attachment 2730357 View attachment 2730358 View attachment 2730359 View attachment 2730360 View attachment 2730361 View attachment 2730362 View attachment 2730363 View attachment 2730364
These are the pictures I have been looking for.
I have been trying to figure out wider fenders for my wider wheels and tires. The 1400 has great shots of how they do the rear fenders.

·
Registered
U1450L DOKA
13,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #178 ·
If you don't happen to have round fenders, there are some factory extenders that widen things up a bit.

Tire Vehicle Wheel Automotive tire Car
Wood Audio equipment Gas Wood stain Electric blue
Tie Sleeve Font Tire Screenshot
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle Motor vehicle
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Tread Tractor

·
Registered
U1450L DOKA
13,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #180 ·
For wider rear fenders (Round), there are a few approaches. They can stay 'narrow', as far as the steel goes, and wider rubber lips (like on that tug) make them wider. Alternately, the rubber lip can stay 'Narrow', and the fenders can be wider in the steel part of the equation.

Plastic fenders, as can be seen on Semis, or Semi Trailers, have been used, and I have some photos of Plastic fenders off of a Cat Loader that were put on a UNIMOG. Parlok (Finland) makes the plastic fenders with the 'White Stripe' molded into one edge. They are quality pieces, and they come in a wide range of sizes. I have seen them mounted as both front and rear fenders on Square Cabs. I have a set on the rear of my truck, and I like them. I cut them down so they weren't so long, and they have a couple of extra holes from moving them to center up on the tires, but they work fine..They are wide enough to cover the XM-47's in the 425 size.

The Hellgeth's do something similar to what you are describing - I'll post some photos.

Here are some shots of the Steel Fenders with the rubber edges. The rubber slots into a channel on the steel part of the fender, and as you can imagine, this is prone to rusting because it is constantly catching road wash from the tires. The channel can rust and rot, and the rubber then has a tendency to fall out of the groove...
The galvanized steel fenders are a good solution for this problem.

Some Photos.

Plant Automotive tire Bumper Gas Audio equipment
Flooring Tile flooring Automotive tire Fender Wood
Automotive tire Tire Sculpture Wheel Automotive design
Automotive tire Tire Wheel Synthetic rubber Motor vehicle
Bumper Automotive exterior Gas Automotive design Rim
Grey Gas Office equipment Automotive tire Gadget
Automotive tire Tire Door Synthetic rubber Grey
Font Input device Composite material Auto part Office equipment
Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Automotive parking light

161 - 180 of 256 Posts