Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1361 - 1380 of 1557 Posts

· Premium Member
U1000Ag
3,195 Posts
ADE was restricted to building engines. Whilst SA was not allowed to import Unimogs for miltary use, there was a fair number imported fully built for "evaluation" My guess is that this was one of them. A number did also end up for evaluation during the border war - I know this from personal exposure - having done many miles in a 416 in carting AVTUR around the place. They were far superior to the then commonly deployed Bedfords......

· Registered
U1450L DOKA
17,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,366 ·
SAMOG had 3 or 4 body types. They had 406 duplicates like the winery truck - note the bumped up hood profile. I have a bunch of photos, and I can post up some later.

While working in Capetown, the local production company treated us to a 2-3 hour lunch at a winery / restaurant, an hour or two north of Capetown. The restaurant was a semi-open air pavilion type of place, at the top of a hill, overlooking seemingly endless vineyards, stretching off in every direction. Quite the setting. It was a great way to spend the afternoon, and a nice break from the hard work that was coming up.

· Registered
U1450L DOKA
17,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,367 ·
Some SAMOG fiberglass 406 style bodies. Some have 'normal looking' doors and side structure, some have molded-in steps beneath the doors, supported with a deeper 'B-pillar' at the rear of the cab. This section of the cab is also wider on the ones with the steps below - you can see the difference in the first two photos.

A main identifier is the presence of the two strap hinges on the doors. The factory steel cab has hidden hinges.

The door handle rotates to open the door, and there is a arc molded into the door for clearance. The factory 406 has a fixed handle with a push button.

The grill has an extra vertical divider, and the hood sports a bulge above the radiator location.

Wheel Tire Vehicle Sky Mountain
Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Car
Wheel Tire Vehicle Sky Cloud
Wheel Tire Vehicle Sky Automotive tire
Wheel Automotive parking light Tire Automotive side marker light Vehicle
Wheel Tire Vehicle Sky Automotive tire
Vehicle Vehicle registration plate Grille Car Hood
Car Wheel Tire Vehicle Hood
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Hood
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Car

· Premium Member
U1000Ag
3,195 Posts
Mogs at war.
They were used because they were a lot nimbler than the armoured Buffel.But, of course, more vulnerable.
Memories - that will simply not go away.......ghosts......dismal business war !
Motor vehicle Vehicle Wheel Mode of transport People

Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Tire Wheel

Squad Vehicle Motor vehicle Cargo pants Military person

1361 - 1380 of 1557 Posts