Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
merc w123 300td 82
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi. got an 83 w123 300td nonturbo auto. ace best in good nick,new filters,all pipework in engine bay relpaced but if i go up hill at speed(about 70 mph) it seems to drag large amounts of air into the diesel system.The engine gets rougher and rougher, i have to stop, the engine stalls,prime the system and fine again for next20/30/200 miles.last time i changed the filters to try and remidy this they all semed clean and ok. have changed them all again 2000 miles later and they still look clean but the problem persists.any clues? Apart from that one awesome car.bought it 2 months ago,got it saturday by next friday had done 6000 mile round trip to spain and back.with the above problem.

·
Registered
90 300 SE ,85 300 GD
1,574 Posts
Fuel tank algae

Did your 300 TD sit for a long period of time? Your problem sounds like there is a problem with the fuel. If there is algae growing in the tank, it may block your strainer going uphill. There are additives to kill this stuff, but it may not cure your problem. Changing the external filters will not help the problem in the tank.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Hi people! I got exactly the same issue here. Can runs great for about 200 miles, then at some point, especially driving in hilly areas, the engine starts lacking power, then shuts off. It starts back no problem and goes for another 200 miles okay. I'd been suspecting that this happened because of algae in the fuel system. Also, may be because of condensed water for rapid temperature changes (i'm in AR [^])
My wife put some algae treatment in the tank a couple of days ago, may be this helps a little. So, guys, if anyone has more input, please, let us know!!! Thanks to all
Serge

·
Registered
1991 300 SE
18,534 Posts
The clogged strainer restricts fuel flow volume when going up hills or at high speed; less fuel is required at lower speeds, that why the engine struggles.

·
Registered
137 Posts
My problem has got worse and worse until one night the car would not even start after a "typical" shut off. I checked the prefilter, it was black and had "crap" in it. I've been reading some other posts on this wonderful website and found out that those flakes were fungus. I changes the prefilter and the main filter (which also had black flakes). The car runs strong so far, however, i am considering getting some Biobor to shock the tank. Do you think if i use Biobor i will not have to take the strainer out to clean it? In other words, will Biobor clean the whole fuel system?

·
Registered
1984 300D Turbo
1,606 Posts
Gvigorus - 2/15/2005 4:58 PM

My problem has got worse and worse until one night the car would not even start after a "typical" shut off. I checked the prefilter, it was black and had "crap" in it. I've been reading some other posts on this wonderful website and found out that those flakes were fungus. I changes the prefilter and the main filter (which also had black flakes). The car runs strong so far, however, i am considering getting some Biobor to shock the tank. Do you think if i use Biobor i will not have to take the strainer out to clean it? In other words, will Biobor clean the whole fuel system?
tank strainer-
pull off the rubber line leading from the bottom of the tank to the hard fuel line and observe the fuel flow. if it comes out fast then the tank strainer is not clogged.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts