Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have noticed a odd vibration or oscillation resonance when the engine revs between

2,200 to 4,000 rpm.

This happens in all gears or when in PARK or Neutral.

Any experts want to chime in?

·
Registered
373 Posts
Do you have ABC?

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
10,837 Posts
Those responses cover the topic; the W220 S-Class Encyclopedia contains info on how to identify whether it is tranny or engine mounts. Check those first.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
not clear in Encyclopedia

Those responses cover the topic; the W220 S-Class Encyclopedia contains info on how to identify whether it it tranny or engine mounts. Check those first.
I looked it over and I didn't see a way to rule out harmonic dampener although it would seem to point to any or some of the following:

transmission rear mount
engine mounts
harmonic dampener

I just didn't want to start throwing parts at problem unless I was pretty certain

·
W220 Moderator
5,508 Posts
Hi,

I'm almost certain it will be the Trans Mount, it is usually the Trans mount !!

As they aren't that expensive from MB that would be the place I would start.

Cheers Dave

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
10,837 Posts
The two Mercedes W220 engine mounts are fluid-filled, and if they have leaked there will likely be a small stream of oil trailing the mount. One, near the transmission, is just rubber - no fluid. With bad mounts the engine will displace (rotate) excessively when revved - it can be seen with the hood open. The transmission mounts are not fluid-filled, but may twist slightly if collapsed (look at the lettering on the mount). Lack of vibration unless in gear tends toward the tranny mount. Vibration continuing at idle and in park or neutral tends toward the harmonic damper.

Here is some troubleshootinhg help, together wit DIY links - http://www.mercedesmedic.com/interior-cabin-steering-seat-vibration-in-a-mercedes-benz/

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
About this Discussion
12 Replies
7 Participants
Fried Chicken
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing