Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1995 E300D
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just checked out my fusebox today for the first time and wow!...was I ever surprised by the shape of the fuses.

I have a 95 W124 and was wondering how long MB has been making their fuses like this?

·
Registered
1922 Ford T no OBD, no ECU, no SCN
37,836 Posts
You mean like what?
I already have 5 kinds of automotive fuses in my toolbox. Do I need another one?

·
Registered
Classic 92 190E 2.6
4,235 Posts
They have been around for a long time, they are found in other car makes, I think my 1954 Austin Healey 100-4 had them. Make sure you have spares.

·
Registered
1993 300SEL (Sold) 2007 X5
7,218 Posts
What the plastic coloured ones? Thought they were in all modern cars after they stopped using the glass ones. :confused:

·
Registered
1995 E300D
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They are shaped like little double ended bullets with the fuse strip set in a groove connecting the two ends.

I was only used to seeing the plastic blade type of aotomotive fuses and was quite amused by Mercedes unique design. Perhaps when they stopped with the W124, they switched to the industry standard blade type....

·
Registered
2000 CLK430
26 Posts
Called topedo fuses. Those are pretty normal in older cars......all of the older Porsches I've had use those. Oldest was a '70 911T. My current '78 911SC has them.

There are cheap ones that are made out of plastic. Those can deform when they get hot, on the higher amperage fuses. If you get better ones, they are made of some other material, I forget what, but won't deform. Worth spending the extra $2.

·
Registered
1922 Ford T no OBD, no ECU, no SCN
37,836 Posts
Standard issue with those is, that they have aluminum aftermarket twins.
Aluminum in contact with brass holder will sooner, or later corrode and perfectly good fuse sends no power.
DON'T BUY ANYTHING, BUT COPPER.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts