Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After doing the intake manifold seals and removing EGR on my ‘79 450sl I realized the car developed an exhaust tick (only when you give the car throttle). For a while I thought it was the manifold gasket on cylinder 8 as it goes away when I pull off the spark plug wire.
Today however, I realized that it seems like it’s coming from under the valve cover.
What could this be? A valve not seating properly?
Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
R/C107 Moderator
1986 560SL: '84 500SL: '84 280SL 5 speed: other 107s
31,991 Posts
In total darkness check wires for spark shorting to block. If that is not it it is possibly a hydraulic compensator.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
In total darkness check wires for spark shorting to block. If that is not it it is possibly a hydraulic compensator.
I don’t think there is a short as that would be complemented by a misfire, correct? And it’s not a lifter as you can only hear it when the engine is under load.

·
R/C107 Moderator
1986 560SL: '84 500SL: '84 280SL 5 speed: other 107s
31,991 Posts
Not necessarily to both. Plug could still be firing. Compensator could be sluggish under load.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not necessarily to both. Plug could still be firing. Compensator could be sluggish under load.
If it was a lifter, the problem would persist when I removed the spark plug wire on the cylinder, correct? So I’m almost sure this is an exhaust leak

·
Registered
1989 W124 260E
1,373 Posts
I had this tick tick problem on my W123 .Made a noise at start up from cold ,, only to disappear as the manifold got hot .And my car at the time had 23.000 on it from new .Had to remove the exhaust manifold to replace the gasket ,,And there it was,, the old gasket was split .

1 - 6 of 6 Posts