Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just finished installing a very shiny looking a/c control unit that I found at the junkyard. While I was in there I decided to replace all of the bulbs. After fiddling with the fiber optic octopus for quite some time I finally got everything back together. For some reason though, the switches above the a/c unit are very dim but the lights on the console are bright as day. I was thinking that maybe I didn't get the bulb seated in there well enough but I can't understand why the shifter lights would be bright if that was the case. Figured I'd bounce it off y'all before I start tearing it apart again.

·
Registered
10,152 Posts
I think the lights above the A/C are controlled by the dimmer switch, check that otherwise perhaps you didn't get the octopus seated properly. Also, the rear defrost switch anyway, lights up brighter when engaged.
Did you have two fiber optic leads for every switch?

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
only the antenna switch had two leads. The others only one. Are you suggesting that the rheostat itself is broken or that something about it's connection to the octopus is screwy? Because I just fixed the rheostat a few months ago and it works well regarding all the other lights.

From what I was reading (and could tell from tearing apart cars at the junkyard) the shifter lights on gen1 cars are part of the fiber optic system. Is it possible my car is an exception to the rule?

·
Registered
10,152 Posts
I understand the shifter light is a fiber optic deal, yet only the one line to the P-R-N etc.
Your rheostat has been recently worked on, so that should not be the concern, if your dash lights are working.
I haven't pressed the antenna button at night, so don't know anything on that.
But the rear defrost light will brighten considerably when turned on.
When I took apart the center stack on my 123, I had too many of those fiber optic lines, some of the switches had two leads going to them, can't remember which ones anymore.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
9,487 Posts
The switches that have two leads are the ones that have the white symbols top and bottom. The ones with just the symbols on the top are only one lead. I have to repair the octopus in my SEC as I have some loose fiber optic lines, loose from the octopus end,and some that are missing.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts