Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello everyone,
I have been experiencing a frequent problem with my 2002 S430's right turn signal light that is in the mirror housing. My car gives me the warning to check the lamp but it only happens occasionally and when it does happen I check the lamp when I get out of the car with the message still on and the light works fine. I don't understand it.

I know the following belongs in the GL class section but I have placed it there before to no avail. I have a 2008 GL class that has the rear seat entertainment system. All the features work except TV. The manual says no TV message- No TV. When I press TV on the remote the screen states no TV. However, I checked the fuse diagram and found the TV tuner fuse installed and power was going to it. I know that being in the U.S.A that a TV within the driver's view is illegal but the driver can't see the rear seat entertainment unless he or she disengages the seat belt, puts the chair as far back as possible and then reaching his or her neck around to the passenger side to see the screen. Then again that does not sound much like a driver. Is the feature disabled by STAR or was TV in the RSE not part of the plan for U.S. spec GL's?

I should have checked the encyclopedia before I posted but I did not think of it. It seems that maybe some of the cold solders could be going bad but all of the leds are bright and lighting so at the same time perhaps not. I did not mention this originally but the rubber seals that go around the mirror housing have rotted away quite some time ago and it has made me wonder if that made the internals vulnerable to water.

·
Registered
91 300SE, 02 G500, 69 MGBGT Past: 00 S500, 84 300D, 99 E320, 07 E350
377 Posts
Mine did the same thing. I just think it's a sign they are starting to fail. I replaced with a few inexpensive ebay units and they work perfect!

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
2013 S550
10,978 Posts
With respect to the turn signal issue, you are probably correct that water is the issue. There could be some corrosion - pulling the LED units and cleaning contacts may solve the problem - and also tell you whether water has been present.

·
Registered
2002 s500, 2004 S500 fourmatic
267 Posts
Not to hijack the thread too overtly, but I've been getting something similar to this on my 02S500 over the past two months. Mine seems to be a cycling from the left signal light, followed by the right signal light, followed by the driver headlight. On inspection, all affected bulbs appear to be operating. Shutting down the car seems to reset the application. Neither do these warnings appear at the same time. It can be days or weeks later that the next in the sequence appears. I do know that 3 of the LED's in the passenger turn signal housing are out, but the balance appear to be fine.

Most perplexing.

I suspect something is getting ready to blow. Does anyone know if there is some common circuit to all three of these warnings?

Tower

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I took off the mirror housing and found that there was in fact some water inside the passenger side housing. I cleaned the contacts and noticed that it improved the brightness of the lights but some of the lights are not lighting up. I never noticed that before but it seems that some leds just haven't been lighting in a while. I went through an electronic parts catalog after using the number on the sticker that is attached to the light's circuitry housing but it turns out that number is for the whole mirror housing and I couldn't the find the part number in the electronic parts catalog. Does anyone know the part # for the OEM mirror lights. I found aftermarket ones on ebay but I just wasn't impressed by them.

·
Premium Member
W220 2003 Update S500L, W204 2008 C220 CDI
461 Posts
My 2003 S500L has also been doing this for the right turn indicator as well. Note mine is a RHD hence the right mirror is the driver's mirror. It only happens occasionally and resets when the ignition is turned off although STAR stores the fault.
Funny thing is when you check all globes and leds they are working correctly. I even replaced the right (and left) turn indicator globes, front and back, but the right side still occasionally gives the malfunction error saying to check the right turn indicator globe.
The other day I caught a glimpse of the right mirror when the fault occured and noticed that all of the leds were only glowing dimly. The front and rear indicators were normal.
A few days later I removed the led assembly (easy one hour job for my VIN using WIS as a reference). You first remove the mirror by pressing in a small spring clip at the top, then release the mirror housing cover by also pressing in a spring clip near the outer edge. Then the led assembly just unclips from inside the housing.
I cleaned all the led joints which were crimped and then soldered them to be certain of a good connection and cleaned and lubricated all the connectors and reinstalled. Put rubber grease on the seals which are in remarkably good condition and there was no sign of water ingress.
A few right turns later I get the same error message. So it seems to me that the problem is not in the mirror housing.
Next task is to use WIS circuit diagrams to find the next connectors and clean and lubricate these. I think the leds are driven by the door control module so it may even be an electronic fault rather than just a dirty connection.
Hope this helps,
Brian

·
Registered
2008 CL63; 2007 R63; 2001 S55 (sold ... and I miss it); 1996 Porsche 993 C4S; 2014.5 Range Rover LWB
85 Posts
Signal Acquisition Module (SAM)?

Not to hijack the thread too overtly, but I've been getting something similar to this on my 02S500 over the past two months. Mine seems to be a cycling from the left signal light, followed by the right signal light, followed by the driver headlight. On inspection, all affected bulbs appear to be operating. Shutting down the car seems to reset the application. Neither do these warnings appear at the same time. It can be days or weeks later that the next in the sequence appears. I do know that 3 of the LED's in the passenger turn signal housing are out, but the balance appear to be fine.

Most perplexing.

I suspect something is getting ready to blow. Does anyone know if there is some common circuit to all three of these warnings?

Tower

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a w220 s500 2000 and I get the error occasionally. usually a reset and cycle the start clears it for a while...

The problem is most likely NOT in the passenger side door control module as I have just replaced it and it still continues. (heater, seat controls, window and mirror ALL go through the DCM...)

·
Registered
2000 s500 AMG with the factory staggered 18's, 2003 e320 4matic wagon, 1985 300sd
73 Posts
Its the LED that is shorting out, not the wires. I had the same problem, would remove the cover and pinch the led's and they would all light up again. go to the wrecking yard, tell them you want a broken outside mirror housing(its cheaper) but with the led intact, remove your housing and check to see if the ledds off the wrecking yard one is good, meaning all three rows light up and it doesn't throw a code. go home and remove the old and new ones by cutting the plastic tabs. rvt the new one in and your better than factory. easy money, 1 hour job.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts