Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1994 S500 Coupe, 1976 450SLC, 1998 E320, 1998 slk230
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I replaced my leaky power steering hose about a month ago and it no longer leaks. However, I have notice on occasion after a cold start and when returning from a 20+ minute drive there's a slight moan and some times a
stiffness in the wheel when parking. I checked the fluid and the container is full although not the clearest fluid. It's not milky, but not as clear as I would expect. After changing the hose is there something I needed to do to clear the system or could this be a filter or pump issue?

Thanks,
Troy

·
Registered
1983 380SL
56 Posts
Hmm. Are you sure you're using the right fluild? The power steering in my 83' 380SL uses automatic transission fluid. Not sure if those early model SLs use the same.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmm. Are you sure you're using the right fluild? The power steering in my 83' 380SL uses automatic transission fluid. Not sure if those early model SLs use the same.
I believe so. I purchased from AutohausAZ when I bought the hose.

·
Premium Member
'72 350SL, '85 300D, '98 E320, '19 Subaru Outback (sold '14 GLK250)
10,327 Posts
I replaced my leaky power steering hose about a month ago and it no longer leaks. However, I have notice on occasion after a cold start and when returning from a 20+ minute drive there's a slight moan and some times a
stiffness in the wheel when parking. I checked the fluid and the container is full although not the clearest fluid. It's not milky, but not as clear as I would expect. After changing the hose is there something I needed to do to clear the system or could this be a filter or pump issue?

Thanks,
Troy
Perhaps you have air in system? Perhaps teh change in colour is caused by the air bubbles?

Isn't there is a bleed nozzle on the steering box? If so, you should be able to run a plastic tube from it back to reservoir and run engine until you stop seeing bubbles. Or perhaps go once through and bleed like the way we do brakes until you get clear fluid?

BTW, I think it is recommended these days to use proper PS fluid rather than ATF because of the additives modern ATF has (or doesn't have?) that can cause problems with PS pump. Probably wasn't a problem back when our car manuals were written. I used to have some info on this, but can't find it right now.

·
Registered
1976 450 slc
422 Posts
Cycling the steering full lock to full lock (with engine running) quite a few times this will bleed the system although after one month of driving i doubt you have air in your system.
Start by changing the filter and flush the system with new fluid.
Use a large syringe to suck out the old fluid from the reservoir, add new, start car turn the steering, repeat suck out & replace until fluid becomes a consistant colour.
ATF fluid is fine.
post results....

·
Premium Member
'72 350SL, '85 300D, '98 E320, '19 Subaru Outback (sold '14 GLK250)
10,327 Posts
ATF fluid is fine.
There are many many debates about this on net, seldom conclusive.

MB for some reason lists PS fluids under ATFs. But they have a different spec for PS than transmission. For cars, it is MB236.3. This spec is NOT listed for use in any transmissions, so it would seem there must be a difference in formulation.

http://bevo.mercedes-benz.com/d/d/en/Spec_231_1.pdf

PS fluid doesn't cost much more than ATF and we need very little so why not use the proper stuff (unless 70's vintage Dextron can still be bought where you live).

·
Premium Member
1975 450SL
2,440 Posts
Just a couple of suggestions/notes.

You might want to check/change the filter in the power steering pump, it's often forgotten about, and could be old.

If you want to "burp" all the air out of the P.S. system, put the front end up on jackstands (so the wheels are free), and turn the steering wheel lock-to-lock with the engine running a dozen or two times. Having the wheels off the ground is much easier on the steering components and tires. (Here in the Southwest, it is supposedly possible to tear a tire apart by doing this on a hot surface with hot tires.)

Good luck,
Scott

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the suggestions. I still have a bottle of PS fluid left, so i will drain the old fluid, put a new filter in, and remove the air.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts