Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,<br> <br> I sell MB's in Calgary, AB and we just got our first one...<br> I'm looking at this car right now, and just went through the product info seminars and thought I would share my observations:<br> <br> SL500: <br> <br> wonderful interior quality, a big step (to the past?) and heartening for those who have watched the money come out of MB interiors of late.<br> <br> Staggering depth of engineering. To much to list but the brake by wire and active body control are amazing. They wait until all the options are built onto the car, and the individual final weight established, before progamming the ABC. The HVAC controls adapt to number of passengers and open roof/windows. etc.etc.<br> <br> Did I mention it was pretty? Though bigger in every dimention, the new SL has a wonderful taughtness, like the sheet metal is stretched over a muscular frame. Definately on of the best designs to come out of Mercedes-Benz,and that is saying something. Just Gorgeous.<br> <br> The roof is really trick, and unilike the SLK where you think that everything is going to collide but doesn't, there is an elegant motion in the new SL which is very satisfying. Also, trunk space and trunk loading is pretty good with a unique feature which lifts part of the roof out of the way to load.<br> <br> To complain about: found a small paint flaw (COME ON MERCEDES!!!!, hire a few more F***ing inspectors!!!, who can see!!!) cup holders useless, no heated steering wheel, wood trim looks dumb (aluminium available) and that's about it.<br> <br> SL55:<br> I'm totally giddy about this thing. 521 lb/ft at 2650 rpm for christ sake. When this thing hooks up it is f***ing GONE. 0-300km/hr in 32.5 sec. A 550 Maranello takes 60sec! (O.K., the Ferarri probably made a closer race of it until it hit 270/280 then slowed, but still). And, apparantly, completely stable at speed. An amazing aerodynamic achievement, as usually a low drag car, necessary to get to those speeds, moves around quite a bit. It really says something about the aerodynamic integrity of the basic car shape, that it can get to those speeds and be stable, without drag increasing aero add ons. Absolutely amazing.<br> <br> And the brakes!!! 8 piston calipers with 4 brake pads per rotor, with a brake surface area that looks like it covers 1/3 of the bloody rotor. S**T. Taken right from the CL55 F1 pace car! But I tell you, if ever a car needed Carbon/Carbon or Ceramic brakes it is this one, the rotors have got to weigh 50lbs each, 14.2' x 1.5' monstors-I thought they were going to colapse the table. Carbon or ceramic brakes would of course reduce the weight by half, reducing unsprung weight, and don't wear out. There must be some reason that MB has elected not to make these an option, ??, Brembo, who designed these, certainly can do it.<br> <br> Also, active multi contour seats, which inflate the outside seat cushion in a turn. Cool.<br> <br> And the noise really does sound like a big bore racing V8. Not subtle AT ALL.<br> <br> Anyway, both cars, ACHEINGLY DESIREABLE.<br> <br> Regards, Lawrence<br> 1988 560 SEL<br> 1997 Acura Integra Type R (track car)<br> 1951 Land Rover Series One 80' (trailer queen)

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
55 aside, how fast does the 500 "feel" compared to a 2001 or 2002 CLK55

I have an order in on a 500 SL, but don't want to trade down in performance from my CLK 55. Ignoring the SL55 for now, how does the 500 feel? I know it is a second slower to 60 and has less torque than the existing CLK 55, but how much of a difference is there really? I know I will have to drive the new SL to find out for myself, but i am interested to see what your impression is of the car.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: 55 aside, how fast does the 500 "feel" compared to a 2001 or 2002 CLK55

I'll let you know when the 6 inches of snow clears :) The car is safe in the showroom now...<br> <br> Regards, Lawrence.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: 55 aside, how fast does the 500 "feel" compared to a 2001 or 2002 CLK55

is the snow gone yet? If not, can I help you clear some? I'd really love to know the answer to that question...I've had a deposit down on an SL500 for about a year, and am starting to regret not putting the money down on a SL55 instead.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Lawrence,<br> Thanks for you impressions of the new SLs. I sold Mercedes in 1970 (when I was in school). Also, my father owned several SLs when I was growing up (not $$; just U.S. military with access to factory deliveries). What really impressed me about the cars then was the EXCEPTIONAL quality of the materials that went into the cars. I've owned a couple of sedans since then, but with each new generation they seemed to be getting less and less durable in their 'feel.' So, I was delighted to read your <br> e-mail and learn that the new SL has that sense of substance and quality that seemed to be of another era. Now, if the damn NASDAQ will just come back into the 2400 range, that SL55 might be doable.<br> <br> Thanks again for your post. I hope things thaw out of up there.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not just feeling of quality: I have one of our tech's work on my 1988 560 sel. Whenever he is doing something I go and look at all the pieces. Just awsome. Totally overbuilt. We've done a lot of work to the car, repairing locks, windows, rear sunshade etc. etc. and in each case it has been a matter of taking it apart, cleaning it out, making whatever repair, and putting it back together. Nothing is throw away,and the parts look to outlast me, and I'm 34. The engine, at 240,000km shows almost no wear, the transmission shifts beautifully. <br> <br> It is hugely satsifying to work with quality, for me as an owner, and for the tech who can fix things, instead of just tossing and replacing with new parts. The feel of quality of the old cars is the feel of each individual compontent built with high quality materials, tight tolerances, and good design-built and engineered not to a price, but to be the best car in the world.<br> <br> I think the worst of MB is behind it, the new products have me genuinly excited and the depth of engineering is staggering. About materials, I think unless you want a Bentley (or Maybach) you will have to live with plastic from now on. The interior though, on the new SL, and looks to be the case on the new E, is much nicer.<br> <br> Regards, Lawrence.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
sl 500 feels slower than c32 amg but torque, handling and ride were great!

ride was firm but not punishing even with 18' tires and abc sport setting. you might be disappointed with the acceleration compared to your clk amg 55-only you can say for sure.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Re: Lawrence, is that cone antenna on the body for the the radio or for GPS/cell phone?

I looked for a direct reference and couldn't find it. That is a logical assumption though. It wouldn't be the radio. BTW, if you pick all the options the SL will have about 20 antennas of one sort or another. Yikes!<br> <br> Regards, Lawrence.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts