Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1.Please advise me where to get an OBDII tool to read the DTC’s and reset the service calls. I just lost $45 in ebay.
2. I would like very much to buy the service manual for my 2002 C230k coupe. The bootleg versions from ebay are useless, I got 3 or 4, just a waste.

Thank you,
Vladimir

·
Registered
C230K Sport Sedan
5,368 Posts
Sometimes, but rarely can you get the correct manual on ebay. What you'll get is the parts manual. What you neeed is the WIS. As for OBD2, depends on how fancy you want to get. I use the software and cable from obd-2.com on my laptop because I can log problems over time, save them to compare later and such. If price and portability are important, check out what Pep Boys or Autozone has. Last time I was there they had a small one that reads and resets codes for $69 and then price went up with more bells and whistles. I have a list of codes and meanings on my website.

·
Registered
C320 Wagon (2002)
28 Posts
Any recommendation on a good OBD-II to USB interface that works with a S203 ?

I tried the VW/Audi VAG-COM interface plus soft, running VAG_COM in straight OBD-II (no Audi enhancements) and it would not talk to the Benz...

·
Registered
C230K Sport Sedan
5,368 Posts
The one from OBD-2.com works with my MB as well as every other car I've tried it on. I got the 3 in 1 version that works with anything since I have a Ford, Jeep, Chevy and MB. Runs on an old laptop I got on ebay for $100, one of the original Pentium, 133 me thinks.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Sometimes, but rarely can you get the correct manual on ebay. What you'll get is the parts manual. What you neeed is the WIS. As for OBD2, depends on how fancy you want to get. I use the software and cable from obd-2.com on my laptop because I can log problems over time, save them to compare later and such. If price and portability are important, check out what Pep Boys or Autozone has. Last time I was there they had a small one that reads and resets codes for $69 and then price went up with more bells and whistles. I have a list of codes and meanings on my website.
Buellwinkle, what does WIS stand for?

·
Registered
27 Posts
I got a WIS on E-Bay from Raremanuals. It's very difficult to find what you're looking because it's for many different models. Also after using it for 30 minutes or so an error message pops up saying that the license key has expired. So you have to go back through this convoluted process to get a new key. The software takes a huge amount of memory and doesn't work. I've sent questions to Raremanual seller with no response, I would not recommend it. I went to the dealer and ordered the CD-ROM for my year and model $87.00, it's got to be better than the $23.99 POC from raremanuals. I'll let you know.

·
Registered
2002 C320 120k miles
88 Posts
I go to Autozone and use their tool for free in parking lot. I don't recommend their parts usally, but a free diag test is a free diag test

·
Registered
5 Posts
I got a WIS on E-Bay from Raremanuals. It's very difficult to find what you're looking because it's for many different models. Also after using it for 30 minutes or so an error message pops up saying that the license key has expired. So you have to go back through this convoluted process to get a new key. The software takes a huge amount of memory and doesn't work. I've sent questions to Raremanual seller with no response, I would not recommend it. I went to the dealer and ordered the CD-ROM for my year and model $87.00, it's got to be better than the $23.99 POC from raremanuals. I'll let you know.
G'day schilder71! What country are you in? My Benz dealer in Canada just quoted me $175 for the CD...

·
Registered
2004 C230 Kompressor Sedan; 1975 Triumph TR6
81 Posts
Hey Buellwinkle

What is the connector for the Benz? ISO?

Is it better to buy the software to use on a laptop than the portable tools you get from the auto parts store to read the codes and reset?

I went to obd-2.com and talk about a confusing site to find how to order the cable and software!

I just had a CEL that I had to take my car in to get repaired, it was a faulty thermostat. I had no idea that was the problem (no tell tale signs) and could have replaced it myself had I know what it was. I just restored a TR6 from ground up so you can understand my frustration when I had to pay $123 labour to replace that simple part.

As my car is just off warrantee I am sure more CEL will come up over time and don't want to be held hostage

·
Registered
C230K Sport Sedan
5,368 Posts
I chose software on a laptop because it's very easy for me to drive around with it plugged in and record activity on the sensors and this was useful when I was doing a lot of dyno time and wanted to save the sensor outputs for these runs. It can also be useful to troubleshoot a problem that only happens intermittently or at high speeds where you can't diagnose it in your driveway. Also, consider that as new cars come out, new regulations, that software is way more adaptive than a device. So my software which is upgradable for free should still work on 1996 or a 2016 car. I've never had a car it didn't work on. I bought a very cheap small laptop on ebay for $100 and used to take it with me in the car because I have nav software for it with a GPS antena and I can browse the internet at hotels and McDonalds (AT&T DSL customers can use wifi at McDonalds for free).

On the negative side, you can get a very simple obd2 tool to view and reset codes for much less money and way more portable. These cheap tools won't let you view sensor output or view history, just look at and reset codes. By the time you get a device that does what the laptop does, you have a commercial OBD2 scanner and those are very expensive. There are some in between models in the $150 or so range that let you view specific sensors and view code messages but they generally don't let you save it for later playback.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts