Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Slk230 Sport
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, check engine light came on and just checked the code. Sounds like a gas cap or something. I always tightened the cap all the way as far as it would go but should I have stopped at the detent? How far do you guys tighten your gas cap? It could be something else too so any other ideas?

·
Registered
2000 Slk230 Sport
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Because it said a vacuum leak. I has a guy test it and the gas cap was the first thing to check. It did not say where the leak was for sure.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hey,
I've got the wood kit but don't have it on the glove box and around the instrument panel. Any idea where I can find that?

·
Registered
2014 C250
22 Posts
P0455 : Evaporative Emission Control System Leak Detected (gross leak)

I think you are on the right track with the gas cap but it may be a more serious problem. I'm not familiar with the fuel system on the SLK (yet), but on other vehicles there are hoses to ensure that unused fuel gets routed and vented back to the gas tank. Emission control systems are supposed to be covered by warranty for 80K miles, so perhaps this can be fixed for little or no cost by a dealer?

·
Registered
2000 Slk230 Sport
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Maybe my gas cap is not sealing good. I guess I have a lot of places to look for a leak.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I had P0455 3 times, but i's not my gaz cap.

theyc hanged twice the shut off valve, but the third time the technical advisor refused to change it. They just made some tests with the valve and then it restarted to work correctly.

They looked for 4 hours and didn't find any specific cause. Since then I still had no problem.

Etienne

·
Registered
217 Posts
shut off valve is ot under extended warranty by the way, and it's pretty long to change.

If the dealer scan says that the shut off valve stays opened (like mine did), then ask them to send the ouptu to have it open/close a couple of time, wne then it should restart to work properly.

Etienne

·
Registered
Golf R32 / Prev R170 SLK
6,821 Posts

·
Registered
2002 SLK 32 AMG, bone stock. 1987 190E 2.3-16 valve (destroyed). 2005 E320 new toy.
14,926 Posts
At least thats what the Merc repair place said, sounded OK as I believe crankcase pressure "may" affect a reading somewhere.??
Possible, but not likely. Crankcase air pressure is vented through an oil seperator and then the air is allowed to enter the induction system.
The oil seperator pulls the oil out of the airstream, and returns the oil to the crankcase. If the seperator clogs, or one of the hoses collapses the oil goes into the induction system and eventually fouls the MAS. But that's another whole kettle of fish. [:D]

1 - 11 of 11 Posts